• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Did The Concept Of Generations Exist Before The Lost Generation ?

Stevicus

Veteran Member
Staff member
Premium Member
Because it would seem that before them the concept of generations just simply didn't exist.

I think the concept existed since ancient times, although it may only be in recent history that they started delineating generations by specific years. Some might informally refer to the decades people are born in, rather than give them some kind of unique name like "Lost Generation" or "Baby Boomer." I remember hearing concepts comparing the children of the 1840s with those of the 1860s, perhaps to explain the various political and social movements of the time and how they impacted on the generations of the 20th century.

But as far as having generations grouped like this, perhaps it's a way of attempting to explain various historical developments and events which shaped our present times.

langen-simple-1280px-Generation_timeline.svg.png

But personally, I don't think these kinds of groupings really explain that much. I guess they caught on, and people seem to identify with them, but I never really did. For example, I was born in December, 1963. This means I'm part of the "Baby Boomers," although the eldest Boomers were already adults before I even entered kindergarten. I probably would identify more with the Generation X-ers, especially those born in the late 1960s. I consider myself more a child of the 1960s and identify with others born in that decade, as opposed to those born in the 1940s or 50s.

Massimo2002

I think the concept existed since ancient times, although it may only be in recent history that they started delineating generations by specific years. Some might informally refer to the decades people are born in, rather than give them some kind of unique name like "Lost Generation" or "Baby Boomer." I remember hearing concepts comparing the children of the 1840s with those of the 1860s, perhaps to explain the various political and social movements of the time and how they impacted on the generations of the 20th century.

But as far as having generations grouped like this, perhaps it's a way of attempting to explain various historical developments and events which shaped our present times.

But personally, I don't think these kinds of groupings really explain that much. I guess they caught on, and people seem to identify with them, but I never really did. For example, I was born in December, 1963. This means I'm part of the "Baby Boomers," although the eldest Boomers were already adults before I even entered kindergarten. I probably would identify more with the Generation X-ers, especially those born in the late 1960s. I consider myself more a child of the 1960s and identify with others born in that decade, as opposed to those born in the 1940s or 50s.
So generations existed before the silent generation but they didn't have names ?

Massimo2002

Also fun fact since you mentioned your birthday my dad's birthday is December 29 and he was born in 1963.

Stevicus

Veteran Member
Staff member
Premium Member
So generations existed before the silent generation but they didn't have names ?

I'm not aware of any names of generations prior to the 19th century. The names don't really have any official standing as far as I know, although I would interpret them more as terms marking certain periods of history, such as "The Stone Age" or "The Bronze Age" or "The Space Age." Someone born in 10000 BC might have a son born in 9980 BC, but from our standpoint today, would there be much point in naming the different generations that far back? Probably not.

I can imagine that, hundreds of years from now, historians might not even look at this era and use terms like "Baby Boomer" or "Generation X," which are more pop culture terms than anything else.

Massimo2002