• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

did jesus learn buddhism?

Tathagata

Freethinker
but i dont believe we can discuss this issue until we resolve the issue regarding his existance.

Yes, Jesus the man existed. This is fact. The question is whether he is divine or rose from the dead, but this is completely irrelevant as to whether he studied in India or not.

Twilight Hue

Twilight, not bright nor dark, good nor bad.
but i dont believe we can discuss this issue until we resolve the issue regarding his existance.
This is more along philosophical lines. Even perchance Jesus is fiction, it wouldn't affect the dialog here too much as it deals primarily with schools of thought.

Speaking of which, I tend to agree with Madhuri that Jesus's philosophy is comparatively closer in line with Hinduism than it is with Buddhism.

LuisDantas

Aura of atheification
Premium Member
Reflexive religions is supposed to be similar everywhere, if for no other reason because people's uncertainties and needs are not all that dissimilar around the globe.

I don't think we have much in the way of evidence for Jesus having ever been in India or Nepal. His teachings don't look particularly Buddhist to me, either. A stronger (but still highly speculative) case could be made for Hinduism, which is far more theistic than Buddhism.

Then again, I find the very existence of a historical Jesus completely speculative for starters.

LuisDantas

Aura of atheification
Premium Member
Yes, Jesus the man existed. This is fact.

What do you know that we atheist kafirs failed to notice, Tathagata? ;)

I don't particularly believe Jesus existed, but I am willing to learn otherwise. Do you have a good link for evidence I may be unaware of?

Freddyfourfingers

There are a zillion threads in these forums addressing that topic. This isn't one of them.

but this is discussing jesus, so before responding to this question i felt the need to check up some background facts.

so if jesus existed, as a man, how can u be so sure? google doesnt have any birth records for those years

Riverwolf

Amateur Rambler / Proud Ergi
Premium Member
but this is discussing jesus, so before responding to this question i felt the need to check up some background facts.

so if jesus existed, as a man, how can u be so sure? google doesnt have any birth records for those years

As has been said already, this thread assumes, for argument's sake, that the man described in the canonical gospels, named Jesus, did exist. There's no need to establish whether or not he actually did in this case.

There's a ton of threads discussing whether Jesus existed or not. If you want to know the arguments for and against this, just poke around the forums and find one (or just research it; I'm sure it'd be easy to find on the internet.)

Nails

There are two literary sources which contain detail about the historical Jesus of Nazareth: the Bible and the writings of Josephus. The Canonical Gospels are the most reliable historical documents ever (literally thousands of fragments and even complete texts exist to this day which determine it's authenticity and reliability). Nowhere is there any evidence that the man Jesus of Nazareth ever left Israel except for a brief time spent in Egypt as a very small child. Another story places him in Jerusalem (at about 12).

What was he doing the rest of the time? He was growing up in Galilee and learning the trade of a carpenter. I think the story of his life presented in the bible is pretty fantastic enough. It is unnecessary to add to it with pure speculation.

Madhuri

RF Goddess
Staff member
Premium Member
There are two literary sources which contain detail about the historical Jesus of Nazareth: the Bible and the writings of Josephus. The Canonical Gospels are the most reliable historical documents ever (literally thousands of fragments and even complete texts exist to this day which determine it's authenticity and reliability). Nowhere is there any evidence that the man Jesus of Nazareth ever left Israel except for a brief time spent in Egypt as a very small child. Another story places him in Jerusalem (at about 12).

What was he doing the rest of the time? He was growing up in Galilee and learning the trade of a carpenter. I think the story of his life presented in the bible is pretty fantastic enough. It is unnecessary to add to it with pure speculation.

There are documents in Nepal and India that indicate, but do not prove, that Jesus was in those places. You could do an online search but if you have trouble, I can try and track down the info for you.