• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Did evolution kill Abraham's God?

Did evolution kill Abraham’s God?

• Yes

Votes: 2 9.1%
  • No

Votes: 20 90.9%

• Total voters

Jeremiah

The whole world structure (churches included),
is designed to distract us from our limitless potential in God.
It subtly, and outright tells us what we can and cannot do,
AS IF there is anything we cannot do in God.

Some people see God in this way, like me. To me God is a distraction and a barrier for the individual to overcome if freedom is to be obtained. Not to say one should not believe in God but it should be their choice to do so; not because they believe God is real.

Only by sacrificing our desire for what we can not grasp can we come to grasp it.

rojse

RF Addict
No scientific theory can prove, or disprove, the existence of god. We have deliberately built science outside of theological circles.

All that science can disprove is religious dogma that tries to assert itself as scientific theory, or religious dogma that tries to make definitive statements about the physical universe. Disproving that does not disprove the asseration that God exists, only that God exists and he also done all of this.

Jeremiah

No scientific theory can prove, or disprove, the existence of god. We have deliberately built science outside of theological circles.

All that science can disprove is religious dogma that tries to assert itself as scientific theory, or religious dogma that tries to make definitive statements about the physical universe. Disproving that does not disprove the asseration that God exists, only that God exists and he also done all of this.

I was not asking if science can disprove God. Any suggestion as to the main source of doubt in God?

blackout

Violet.
Some people see God in this way, like me. To me God is a distraction and a barrier for the individual to overcome if freedom is to be obtained. Not to say one should not believe in God but it should be their choice to do so; not because they believe God is real.

Only by sacrificing our desire for what we can not grasp can we come to grasp it.

I'm quite sure you and I define "God" differently.
I sense we are more on the same page than you think.

God for me is the LIVING UniVerse,
the awareness of the ONENESS
that we are all MADE OF...
and that we live "in".
I truly believe that when we personally connect
with the ONE source of all life,
(that IS life itself)
in WHATEVER way we are led/choose,
that is when we begin tapping into the LIMITLESS POTENTIAL,
of our TRUE being as CO-creators IN GOD.
(in life, in consious, loving universe)

The world at large confuses this understanding of God,
turning "belief/faith" from an ACTIVE life changing word,
into a passive concept. impotent. "I believe in God".
yeah? so?

In my book, how can you "doubt" the existence of God?
God is the life source of all things.
God IS LIFE ITSELF.
God is the very FABRIC OF LIFE.
Do you doubt you are alive?
Do you doubt the world around you exists?

However....
doubting our limitless potential in the Living UniVerse...
doubting the actual living interaction of the UniVerse,
that is common,
because the mainstream world distracts & ditracts from this truth,
so that most people never actually experience LIFE MAJIC for themselves.
Most people doubt that the universe is ALIVE and conscious, I would guess.

TashaN

Veteran Member
Premium Member
If it depends then when should one doubt God?

I think one should doubt the one whom he/she believe to be God if this God is not worthy of being God (i.e. not perfect).

I feel one should always doubt their God concept; it would be foolish not to. Once a person believes they have enlightenment than they can no longer attain enlightenment.

Well, i believe that doubt is the most honest belief someone might hold in order to search for the truth, but sometimes this doubt might turn into ultimate denial of everything one was supposed to JUST doubt and search for some answers about. It might go in circles and circles until it spread arrogance into the soul. You see, it's beneficial but dangerous at the same time.

Jeremiah

[/color]

I think one should doubt the one whom he/she believe to be God if this God is not worthy of being God (i.e. not perfect).

Well, i believe that doubt is the most honest belief someone might hold in order to search for the truth, but sometimes this doubt might turn into ultimate denial of everything one was supposed to JUST doubt and search for some answers about. It might go in circles and circles until it spread arrogance into the soul. You see, it's beneficial but dangerous at the same time.

Radical skepticism has it uses but I also feel it is not a healthy style of life. If anything a person should believe they exist and that the world exist. But really if you just doubt something but hold that something at arms length of "ultimate denial" than you never really doubted it in the first place.

TashaN

Veteran Member
Premium Member
Radical skepticism has it uses but I also feel it is not a healthy style of life. If anything a person should believe they exist and that the world exist. But really if you just doubt something but hold that something at arms length of "ultimate denial" than you never really doubted it in the first place.

Do you prefer to believe in *something* which you are not sure about and you will keep working on developing your awareness and knowledge about it, or you will rather prefer to believe in *nothing* and keep searching for the truth?

Jeremiah

I'm quite sure you and I define "God" differently.
I sense we are more on the same page than you think.

God for me is the LIVING UniVerse,
the awareness of the ONENESS
that we are all MADE OF...
and that we live "in".
I truly believe that when we personally connect
with the ONE source of all life,
(that IS life itself)
in WHATEVER way we are led/choose,
that is when we begin tapping into the LIMITLESS POTENTIAL,
of our TRUE being as CO-creators IN GOD.
(in life, in consious, loving universe)

The world at large confuses this understanding of God,
turning "belief/faith" from an ACTIVE life changing word,
into a passive concept. impotent. "I believe in God".
yeah? so?

In my book, how can you "doubt" the existence of God?
God is the life source of all things.
God IS LIFE ITSELF.
God is the very FABRIC OF LIFE.
Do you doubt you are alive?
Do you doubt the world around you exists?

However....
doubting our limitless potential in the Living UniVerse...
doubting the actual living interaction of the UniVerse,
that is common,
because the mainstream world distracts & ditracts from this truth,
so that most people never actually experience LIFE MAJIC for themselves.
Most people doubt that the universe is ALIVE and conscious, I would guess.

Sorry for not paying attention earlier.

Many followers of the Abrahamic religions are breaking away from the traditional Supreme Being. Is this a potential sign of decay for Abraham’s God? To be honest and I know many will not like what I say. But to be honest I hope the Bible and the Qur'an get lost in time. The wisdoms was never divine in the first place and can be recreated. On the other hand each book is soaked in blood; it’s time to as Hicks says “evolve ideas”.

Jeremiah

Do you prefer to believe in *something* which you are not sure about and you will keep working on developing your awareness and knowledge about it, or you will rather prefer to believe in *nothing* and keep searching for the truth?

I do believe in something I believe in myself and the goodness of humankind.
Is any more than that really needed?

TashaN

Veteran Member
Premium Member
I do believe in something I believe in myself and the goodness of humankind.
Is any more than that really needed?

The problem is that the goodness of human beings is limited and relative, not absolute like God's.

Jeremiah

The problem is that the goodness of human beings is limited and relative, not absolute like God's.

Wars have been fought over God's goodness nobody will ever start a war over my goodness.

The wisdom of Abraham while great is to oblique. These holy books or words of God give a voice to the foolish over the wise. I have seen to many sensible people give heed to a fool simply because they had "the word of God" in their hands. It needs change and I know many feel the way I do. Wisdom should not be this hard to obtain it can be simplified so that everyone can benefit; not just the careful observers. If “knowledge is power” then we restrict our power with these mythical stories. And while they do train the mind in analytical thinking I still believe we bottle neck our "power" with obliqueness. Wisdom can also remain neutral as to contingent vs. divine spark and still be great. It is not about knowing ours roots it is about knowing ourselves.

slabbey06

Bond-Servant of Christ
Was evolution the spear the killed this titan of a God?

Or

Will He make a comeback?

-----

Is evolution the major cause of doubt in God?

First, you can't kill God. So the theory of evolution can't kill Him. If it could, He wouldn't be God and this conversation would be pointless. He either exists or He doesn't. So your question, did evolution kill Abraham's God, says to me that you don't believe in God in the first place, and you believe evolution proves it.
Will He make a comeback? He never went away.

Jayhawker Soule

-- untitled --
Premium Member
The problem is you confuse dogma with truth. That God exists is an unprovable and debatable proposition. That God is good is an unprovable and debatable proposition. That God's goodness is unlimited is an unprovable and debatable proposition. It's all dogma in the service of dogma ... which is fine so long as it's not being paraded around as 'fact'.

Jeremiah

"God is dead"...is dead.

Do you think the Abrahamic religions are perfect or do they need change?

I feel they need change and I think that many feel as I do. If they do not receive this change they will begin to lose followers.

Jeremiah

First, you can't kill God. So the theory of evolution can't kill Him. If it could, He wouldn't be God and this conversation would be pointless. He either exists or He doesn't. So your question, did evolution kill Abraham's God, says to me that you don't believe in God in the first place, and you believe evolution proves it.
Will He make a comeback? He never went away.

The question is not about if God is real or not. It is about the source of doubt. I threw evolution out there in question, as to if it lends support to a spreading of doubt in God. Any suggestions as to the source of doubt in God?

Fluffy

A fool
I think the theory of evolution made atheism a much more tenable position. This is possibly not really noticed by modern theists (and perhaps modern atheists as well) but I think people forget how difficult it was to explain the complexity of life from an atheistic point of view before this point. Atheism might not be anymore logical than it was before but it is certainly much more convincing.

However, I think that there is much more work to be done since the stumbling block in people's understanding now lies in the origin of life on earth and the origin of the universe. The solution to the first will, I hope, stick another nail in the coffin whilst the solution to the second will seal it shut for good.