• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Did atheism transform into a religion?

pro4life

atheism, what is this thing? why are atheists ready to defend atheism? Is atheism the absence of religion?

atheists these days have come out full force ardently defending nothingness (thats what atheists claim). Atheism the belief of not believing or could it be the absence of belief or the mind-state consciously rejecting a belief. Atheism does not have a structure nor a belief system nor a straight thorough clear cut answers to questions. Many say I "believe" in science, I ask myself curiously has science become their religion? Which manual do atheists follow that determine themselves as atheist. Some atheists will jump into the discussion defending their point of view but I again ask myself why the need to do so?? If they have nothing to lose (they don't believe), why the rush to defend a belief of no belief??... Unless...

Atheism has become into a religion. That is the only plausible answer. One of Religion's purposes is to call people to align to their way of belief and to teach others the way life should be lived. Now atheism proselytize their way of thinking and system of beliefs. Is it true that atheism has become a way of life or rather a full blown religion?

psychoslice

Veteran Member
How the hell can a atheist be called a religion, when they have no beliefs of a higher power coming from a god, I think this argument is brought up by the religious, because they have nothing else to bring up, and they are disparate to attack the atheist in any way they can. all because of frustration and fear.

pro4life

How the hell can a atheist be called a religion, when they have no beliefs of a higher power coming from a god, I think this argument is brought up by the religious, because they have nothing else to bring up, and they are disparate to attack the atheist in any way they can. all because of frustration and fear.

It seems the way you replied shows some frustration. If an atheist is an atheist why does he/she need to defend themselves. They don't believe in anything.

psychoslice

Veteran Member
It seems the way you replied shows some frustration. If an atheist is an atheist why does he/she need to defend themselves. They don't believe in anything.
I am not an atheist, and the frustration comes from those who bring up such ridiculers attacks, if you believe in God, then keep it to yourself if you cannot handle others not agreeing.

pro4life

I am not an atheist, and the frustration comes from those who bring up such ridiculers attacks, if you believe in God, then keep it to yourself if you cannot handle others not agreeing.

Actually it should be the opposite. If you believe you have a better way of life, YOU should try to teach it and spread it. But if you have no belief in the first place, then stay quiet.

Unveiled Artist

Veteran Member
atheism, what is this thing? why are atheists ready to defend atheism? Is atheism the absence of religion?

atheists these days have come out full force ardently defending nothingness (thats what atheists claim). Atheism the belief of not believing or could it be the absence of belief or the mind-state consciously rejecting a belief. Atheism does not have a structure nor a belief system nor a straight thorough clear cut answers to questions. Many say I "believe" in science, I ask myself curiously has science become their religion? Which manual do atheists follow that determine themselves as atheist. Some atheists will jump into the discussion defending their point of view but I again ask myself why the need to do so?? If they have nothing to lose (they don't believe), why the rush to defend a belief of no belief??... Unless...

Atheism has become into a religion. That is the only plausible answer. One of Religion's purposes is to call people to align to their way of belief and to teach others the way life should be lived. Now atheism proselytize their way of thinking and system of beliefs. Is it true that atheism has become a way of life or rather a full blown religion?

"One of Religion's purposes is to call people to align to their way of belief and to teach others the way life should be lived."

That's a Huge generalization. It is also a wrong one. I am an atheist and have never heard and read (myself included) any atheist wanting to convert people. What would they convert them to? Why?

Atheism is just a lack of belief in deities. It has nothing to do with religion. There's no structure. It's like my saying, I don't like vanilla. Just because don't like vanilla doesn't mean I want to convert people who do to my taste bud way of thinking.

Atheism is no different. Huge generalization.

picnic

If no religions existed, then atheists would not need to defend themselves. Unfortunately there are many religions. The atheist must be like Errol Flynn's Robin Hood as the bad religious people come from all directions. He/she must be able to fend-off three of the Sheriff's fumbling cronies simultaneously while swinging upside down on a chandelier. That is the life of the atheist sadly. ;)

pro4life

"One of Religion's purposes is to call people to align to their way of belief and to teach others the way life should be lived."

That's a Huge generalization. It is also a wrong one. I am an atheist and have never heard and read (myself included) any atheist wanting to convert people. What would they convert them to? Why?

Atheism is just a lack of belief in deities. It has nothing to do with religion. There's no structure. It's like my saying, I don't like vanilla. Just because don't like vanilla doesn't mean I want to convert people who do to my taste bud way of thinking.

Atheism is no different. Huge generalization.

If you don't like vanilla then keep it to yourself. But if you believe and tested that vanilla for example is good for weight loss, then come forward and try to sell it to me otherwise stay quiet.

Timothy Bryce

Actually it should be the opposite. If you believe you have a better way of life, YOU should try to teach it and spread it. But if you have no belief in the first place, then stay quiet.

You've made a serious mistake by assuming atheists don't believe in anything.

And if you can in any way conceive of atheism as a "religion," you're exercising extreme ignorance towards what atheism is and/or what a religion actually is.

On that basis, I wouldn't be surprised when you receive a hostile response.

pro4life

You've made a serious mistake by assuming atheists don't believe in anything.

And if you can in any way conceive of atheism as a "religion," you're exercising extreme ignorance towards what atheism is and/or what a religion actually is.

On that basis, I wouldn't be surprised when you receive a hostile response.

I am assuming you're an athiest. Would you kindly explain to me what atheism is to the general public and what does atheism mean to you.

Timothy Bryce

I am assuming you're an athiest. Would you kindly explain to me what atheism is to the general public and what does atheism mean to you.

Everyone is an atheist to some extent except for pantheists who believe every god exists.

What atheism means to people who understand what the word means is the same as what is means to me. If you'd bothered to help yourself to a dictionary, you wouldn't have posted something so ridiculous.

Atheism is the absence of a belief in a god. Nothing more; nothing less. It is definitely not a religion. This is not an opinion and it's not debatable.

Do you understand why your thread is ridiculous now?

pro4life

Everyone is an atheist to some extent except for pantheists who believe every god exists.

What atheism means to people who understand what the word means is the same as what is means to me. If you'd bothered to help yourself to a dictionary, you wouldn't have posted something so ridiculous.

Atheism is the absence of a belief in a god. Nothing more; nothing less. It is definitely not a religion. This is not an opinion and it's not debatable.

Do you understand why your thread is ridiculous now?

You're frustrations shows that you have something to prove to me. Why do you have the need to reply to the thread when you believe in nothingness or maybe the absence of any belief. If you have a belief to share then share it if not stay quiet.

Timothy Bryce

You're frustrations shows that you have something to prove to me. Why do you have the need to reply to the thread when you believe in nothingness or maybe the absence of any belief. If you have a belief to share then share it if not stay quiet.

I'll take that as a "no".

If you would like to know my beliefs in detail, I suggest you see my post in the thread "What do you actually believe?"

I'm in no way frustrated and I would definitely not describe myself as "believing in nothingness".

I gave you my answer to your laughable thread to assist you and you show no capacity to understand anything. Until you do and offer a coherent response, there's no reason for anyone to continue posting in this thread.

It's just that when people spew ignorant idiocy and show absolutely no ability or willingness to even expand their understanding - even when you appealed publicly to people to assist you on the topic - people get annoyed and void any respect for your opinion. Take a note.

whereismynotecard

Treasure Hunter
Atheists do not believe in god or gods. That's where the term comes from a-theist. As in without a god. Atheism *is* a belief. Just not a religion. It's the belief that there is no god. If someone "defends atheism" as you say, they are probably only defending themselves or their right to abstain from religion. If someone tells me "atheism is illogical," I might defend it, if I feel they are worth my time, not because it's my religion, but because it's an idea I believe makes sense, and they basically just called me illogical. Atheists get attacked all the time, and to not defend ourselves against people being rude to us just because we don't believe in their god doesn't make any sense.

Atheism only means we do not believe in any god. It's the exact same thing as whatever you don't believe in... If someone told you you were wrong to not believe in sea monsters, and you explained why you didn't believe in them, it doesn't mean not believing in sea monsters is your religion... It just means you have an opinion on something and you're going to tell someone who challenged you why you feel that way.

You kinda seem like you're trolling though...

McBell

mantra-chanting henotheistic snake handler

Wow.
So much proud ignorance in such a small space.

You must be the most blissful person on RF.

Unveiled Artist

Veteran Member
If you don't like vanilla then keep it to yourself. But if you believe and tested that vanilla for example is good for weight loss, then come forward and try to sell it to me otherwise stay quiet.

Just because other people try to convince chocolate lovers to change, doesn't mean we all do. Athiesm isn't special. It's just a position on your stance with any deity. Case closed.

Anything else has nothing to do with atheism.

Quintessence

Consults with Trees
Staff member
Premium Member
While you're correct that in some contexts and for some people, atheism is a core axis around which the functional equivalent of a religion is based, it is misleading to suggest this is universally the case. Further, we need to remember to not conflate (a)theism and (ir)religion. There is atheistic religion (i.e., Buddhism), theistic religion (i.e., Hinduism), atheistic irreligion (i.e., on the whole apathetic to matters of gods and religions), and theistic irreligion (i.e., "spiritual but not religious").

Last edited:

psychoslice

Veteran Member
Ha, it doesn't work like that. your the one with the belief in a god, the ball is in your court, I am just living my life, not needing any belief system to make me feel better, life itself is enough, no need to spread it, if I did, it then would become a belief system just as you have.

columbus

yawn <ignore> yawn

A more useful metaphor here would be religion as ice cream. It comes in lots of flavors and most people have a favorite. But atheism is not one, it is the lack of one.
It is the recognition that all of them are fattening and really low in nutrients. It tastes good, but is not healthy, especially in excess. So you really ought to keep your opinions to yourself and stop trying to tell people your favorite flavor is not junk food. Eat it if you want, but stay away from the children.
Tom