• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Dialogue Between Latter-day Saints and Baptists

jonny

I've probably unintentionally created some enemies on the forums in the past few days. It wasn't really my intention, but I can see why it happened. I'd like to try to go about things in a different manner. It was suggested that some one-on-one discussions be established between Mormons and Baptists. Doing this one-on-one might be difficult, but I do believe that we can have a civil discussion between members of the two groups.

I'm thinking the best way to control the rhetoric is to confine our statements about the other faith to questions. Members of the LDS church may answer the questions about our beliefs as posed by the Baptists. Baptists may do the same. When asking a question, it would probably be best to only include the question in your post. I don't want this to turn into a debate between the two groups. I want to hear learn more about the Baptist beliefs and I hope that they will do the same. Let's stay away from loaded questions (i.e. how can you be mormon when your founder was a blah blah blah or how can you be baptists when your founder was blah blah blah).

Does this sound interesting or worthwhile to anyone else? I'm open for suggestions on how to go about this so that it is an uplifting experience for members of both faiths.

jonny

beckysoup61 said:
Ok, I'll start, Baptists:

Why are we not Christians? Could you show through your beleifs how we aren't Christians and we don't worship the same Christ as you, even though we say we do?!
No. Stop. These are exactly the kinds of questions I want to avoid. You are asking them to tell us about our beliefs. You're supposed to ask them about THEIR beliefs. Not what they believe in regards to our beliefs.

jonny

Let me give you an example of a question:

Could you tell me why Christ is important in the Baptist faith?

jonny

Squirt said:
I like jonny's idea of doing this one-on-one (depending upon who I get linked up with). :D

I don't think we necessarily have to do it one on one. I think we can do it as a group as long as the group keeps the participants under control.

Also, maybe after a question is posed and answered, the person who asked it should give their answer from their church's perspective. Kinda like comparative religion.

Squirt

Hey! How about this? We get a Christian (but non-LDS, non-Baptist) moderator or two (for instance Victor or No*s) to ask a series of questions that both LDS Christians and Baptist Christians can answer. That way, the questions would be posed to both denominations and would be less likely to be loaded. Neither denomination would have reason to feel threatened or harrassed. Except for the moderator, only Baptists and Latter-day Saints could participate. What do you think? What do the mods think? I realize it's a bit unconventional, but it would keep us all on topic and might ultimately resolve some of the animosity between us.

dawny0826

Mother Heathen
I just wanted to make a general comment.

I'm not Baptist anymore...I'm Pentecostal but one thing that you need to realize about Baptists, Pentecostals, Lutherans, Methodists and similar religious denominations is that when you ask them what their religion is...their answer is probably going to be..."Christian" as opposed to their religious denomination unless they're asked what type of church they go to.

And although there are differences in the approach to worship between different Christian denominations (Pretestant, Christian denominations)...we aren't of different faiths...we simply choose to worship a bit differently.

That's why when comments are made about Baptists...you probably got a lot of feedback...there's not much difference between my church (Pentecostal), my mother's church (Lutheran) and my Grandmother's church (Baptist).

In my area...Baptists don't run about labeling their faith as Baptists. They are Christians who go to a Baptist Church.

Edit: I made changes.

alexander garcia

Hi, if for no other reason than someone wants to see what you both claim to belive why not just be open and state for all to see with out hiding what you belive in privit conversations. Myself I have found that people that hide things is because they have things they want to hide!

Bishka

Veteran Member
alexander garcia said:
Hi, if for no other reason than someone wants to see what you both claim to belive why not just be open and state for all to see with out hiding what you belive in privit conversations. Myself I have found that people that hide things is because they have things they want to hide!

What?

jonny

Squirt said:
Hey! How about this? We get a Christian (but non-LDS, non-Baptist) moderator or two (for instance Victor or No*s) to ask a series of questions that both LDS Christians and Baptist Christians can answer. That way, the questions would be posed to both denominations and would be less likely to be loaded. Neither denomination would have reason to feel threatened or harrassed. Except for the moderator, only Baptists and Latter-day Saints could participate. What do you think? What do the mods think? I realize it's a bit unconventional, but it would keep us all on topic and might ultimately resolve some of the animosity between us.

That sounds like a great idea! Suggestions for questions could be made via a PM to whoever the moderator is, but the mod is the person who gets to make the decision on what questions are asked.

Squirt

alexander garcia said:
I don't have the foggiest idea what you're getting at, but none of the Latter-day Saints who has posted on this thread so far has suggested that any of these discussions be private. A one-on-one discussion isn't private, if that's what you're thinking. Anyway, I know none of us have anything to hide. Who is it you are accusing?

Squirt

jonny said:
That sounds like a great idea! Suggestions for questions could be made via a PM to whoever the moderator is, but the mod is the person who gets to make the decision on what questions are asked.
Why don't you PM a couple of mods or admins and ask them to take a look at this thread? I'd do it, but it's your thread.

jonny

alexander garcia said:

Huh? This is an open discussion between LDS and Baptists. We're not hiding anything.

nutshell

Ignore him. Have you seen his other posts? I doubt he has anything to contribute to this discussion.

jonny

Squirt said:
Why don't you PM a couple of mods or admins and ask them to take a look at this thread? I'd do it, but it's your thread.

I'll wait and see if any of the Baptist forum members are interested in participating.

Buttercup

Veteran Member
Hey folks....just came on again. Ummm, I'm gonna say right off the bat that this will probably be a really boring dialoge....:) For the reasons Dawny states. I don't think of myself as a Baptist. I think of myself as a Christian. The vast majority of Prostestant churches pretty much believe the same thing. The Trinity as one made up of The Father, Son & Holy Ghost. You've heard it before.....3 separate yet the same entity. That's what we believe and of course that the bible is inspired of God. We believe in water baptism but dont' believe it's absolutely necessary for salvation. Belief in Christ, confessions of your sins and following a Christ-led life is what we encourage...None of it will be a surprise to you I'm afraid.

dawny0826

Mother Heathen
Buttercup said:
Hey folks....just came on again. Ummm, I'm gonna say right off the bat that this will probably be a really boring dialoge....:) For the reasons Dawny states. I don't think of myself as a Baptist. I think of myself as a Christian. The vast majority of Prostestant churches pretty much believe the same thing. The Trinity as one made up of The Father, Son & Holy Ghost. You've heard it before.....3 separate yet the same entity. That's what we believe and of course that the bible is inspired of God. We believe in water baptism but dont' believe it's absolutely necessary for salvation. Belief in Christ, confessions of your sins and following a Christ-led life is what we encourage...None of it will be a surprise to you I'm afraid.

Thanks, Buttercup.

She explained things much better than I did.

I mean...let me illustrate an example for you...

The Baptist churches and Lutheran churches and even some Catholic churches in my area GET TOGETHER for charity events and social events. We're all Christian...same (or very similar) FAITH...just attend different churches.

jonny

Buttercup said:
Alright then. Let's drop it. I don't care.

Let the hate continue!!! (I know hate is a strong word, but it's really what I feel when I hear the word "Southern" and "Baptist" together).