• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Devoting time to prayer.

Spirit of Light

Be who ever you want
As a Muslim one should pray five times every day, that does make one have to devote time to Allah often, and even i have not been praying that long, i realize the devotion to it, and i noticed that actually it kind of make me stay in a form of readiness and openness that i did not experience before. Often something within a prayer or a verse from the Holy Qur'an is in my mind a lot this days.

So yes i understand the reason 5 prayers a day is there, but as a sleepy head that i am, to wake up in the middle of the night and very early morning is still a bit of a challenge :p, i dont think i can make a Coffee before prayer in the night.

But one thing i do find good is the routine that i get in life. And it does make my mind focused.

So actually one has to devote the life to be a good muslim, other things get less important. But it does feel like freedom to me.

Last edited:

Windwalker

Veteran Member
Premium Member
I've often admired the highly structured and ritualized practices of Muslims. Adding structure into one's life adds value, as well as a sense of community when it is a shared ritual practice. There is a genuine benefit to a traditional religious practice on those levels. Something that gets skipped out on quite easily growing up in modern times.

Spirit of Light

Be who ever you want
I've often admired the highly structured and ritualized practices of Muslims. Adding structure into one's life adds value, as well as a sense of community when it is a shared ritual practice. There is a genuine benefit to a traditional religious practice on those levels. Something that gets skipped out on quite easily growing up in modern times.
I do agree on this.

stvdv

Veteran Member: I Share (not Debate) my POV
As a Muslim one should pray five times every day, that does make one have to devote time to Allah often
As a Hindu we are advised to offer everything (from water to food and what's in between) that enters the mouth to God. My food prayer is a quite long Sanskrit verse, and I was never aware that I put so many times a day something in my mouth:D, until I decided to do this prayer every time.:D

Spirit of Light

Be who ever you want
As a Hindu we are advised to offer everything (from water to food and what's in between) that enters the mouth to God. My food prayer is a quite long Sanskrit verse, and I was never aware that I put so many times a day something in my mouth:D, until I decided to do this prayer every time.:D
Stop eating so much or keep praying for all the food you are blessed to be eating :)

stvdv

Stop eating so much or keep praying for all the food you are blessed to be eating :)
I don't eat much...I would explode:D, eating many times each time "much":D

Humans are blessed with "all the food", imagine you were a cow...just grass:eek:

Spirit of Light

Be who ever you want
Do Muslims also pray before every meal or taking water/drinks?
I do not know if everyonedo it, but we can say what is called a Dua

Some will say this.
  • When meal is ready: "Allahumma barik lana fima razaqtana waqina athaban-nar. " (Translation: O Allah! ...
  • While starting to eat: bismillahi wa 'ala baraka-tillah ("In the name of God and with God's blessing") or simply b-ismi-llāh-ir-raḥmān-ir-raḥīm ("in the name of God, the gracious, the merciful").

Gargovic Malkav

As a Muslim one should pray five times every day, that does make one have to devote time to Allah often, and even i have not been praying that long, i realize the devotion to it, and i noticed that actually it kind of make me stay in a form of readiness and openness that i did not experience before. Often something within a prayer or a verse from the Holy Qur'an is in my mind a lot this days.

So yes i understand the reason 5 prayers a day is there, but as a sleepy head that i am, to wake up in the middle of the night and very early morning is still a bit of a challenge :p, i dont think i can make a Coffee before prayer in the night.

But one thing i do find good is the routine that i get in life. And it does make my mind focused.

So actually one has to devote the life to be a good muslim, other things get less important. But it does feel like freedom to me.

I perform ritual prayers multiple times a day as well. What works for me to perform night time and dawn prayer properly is conditioning myself to go to bed very early so that I wake up at night.

Glaurung

Denizen of Niflheim
Having set times for daily prayer is a good way to cultivate a devotional life. In Catholicism we have the canonical hours. A collection of prayers and readings to be observed at various times during the day. But this is only binding on clergy and religious (monks, friars and nuns). Laity are also encouraged to dedicate time each day for prayer; be it prayers from the breviary, the rosary, prayerbooks or whatever else a person feels inclined to use.

In any case, regular prayer is an essential discipline of religion.

Last edited:

ChristineM

"Be strong", I whispered to my coffee.
Premium Member

I don't understand this. I have been told that muslims pray 5 times a day, the first time at the start of the day, the last at the end of the day just before retiring for the night.

No prayer is required in the middle of the night.

Or are you a late riser and consider the first morning prayer to be "middle of the night"?

Spirit of Light

Be who ever you want
I don't understand this. I have been told that muslims pray 5 times a day, the first time at the start of the day, the last at the end of the day just before retiring for the night.

No prayer is required in the middle of the night.

Or are you a late riser and consider the first morning prayer to be "middle of the night"?
The praying time for me now os as follows
04:48 at night
07:09 at morning
13:18 just after middag
04:09 afternoon
04:56 afternoon/evening
07:04 evening
09:25 late evening

Yes you see 7 prayers but only 5 is mandatory

The times do change during the year. So in a months the time for prayer will be different.

Five daily prayers
The five daily prayers are obligatory (fard) and they are performed at times determined essentially by the position of the Sun in the sky. Hence, salat times vary at different locations on the Earth. Wudu is needed for all of the prayers.

Fajr (dawn)
Main article: Fajr prayer
Fajr begins at subh saadiq -- true dawn or the beginning of twilight, when the morning light appears across the full width of the sky -- and ends at sunrise.

Dhuhr (midday)
Main article: Zuhr prayer
The time interval for offering the Zuhr or Dhuhr namaz timing starts after the sun passes its zenith and lasts until 20 min (approx) before the call for the Asr prayer is to be given. There is thus a long period of time within which this prayer can be offered, but people usually make their prayer within two hours after the Azan has been announced from Mosque.[according to whom?][clarification needed] This prayer needs to be given in the middle of the work-day, and people normally make their prayers during their lunch break.

Shia differs regarding end of zuhr time. Per all major Jafari jurists, end of dhuhr time is about 10 minutes before sunset, the time that belongs exclusively to asr prayer. Dhuhr and asr time overlaps, apart from first 5 minutes of dhuhr, which is exclusively delegated for it. Asr prayer cannot be offered before zuhr in the zuhr time.

Asr (afternoon)
Main article: Asr prayer
The Asr prayer starts when the shadow of an object is the same length as the object itself (or, according to Hanafi school, twice its length)[citation needed] plus the shadow length at zuhr, and lasts till sunset. Asr can be split into two sections; the preferred time is before the sun starts to turn orange, while the time of necessity is from when the sun turns orange until sunset.

Shia (Jafari madhab) differs regarding start of asr time. Per all major Jafari jusrists[citation needed], start of asr time is about 5 minutes after the time of sun passing through zenith, that time belongs exclusively to dhuhr prayer. Time for dhuhr and asr prayers overlap, but the zuhr prayer must be offered before asr, except the time about 10 minutes before sunset, which is delegated exclusively to asr. In the case that the mentioned time is reached, asr prayer should be offered first (ada - on time) and dhuhr (kada - make up, late) prayer should be offered after asr.

Maghrib (sunset)
Main article: Maghrib prayer
The Maghrib prayer begins when the sun sets, and lasts until the red light has left the sky in the west.

Isha (night)Edit
Main article:
The Isha'a or isha prayer starts when the red light is gone from the western sky, and lasts until the rise of the "white light" (fajr sadiq) in the east. The preferred time for Isha is before midnight, meaning halfway between sunset and sunrise.

Last edited:

ChristineM

"Be strong", I whispered to my coffee.
Premium Member
The praying time for me now os as follows
04:48 at night
07:09 at morning
13:18 just after middag
04:09 afternoon
04:56 afternoon/evening
07:04 evening
09:25 late evening

Yes you see 7 prayers but only 5 is mandatory

The times do change during the year. So in a months the time for prayer will be different.

Five daily prayers
The five daily prayers are obligatory (fard) and they are performed at times determined essentially by the position of the Sun in the sky. Hence, salat times vary at different locations on the Earth. Wudu is needed for all of the prayers.

Fajr (dawn)
Main article: Fajr prayer
Fajr begins at subh saadiq -- true dawn or the beginning of twilight, when the morning light appears across the full width of the sky -- and ends at sunrise.

Dhuhr (midday)
Main article: Zuhr prayer
The time interval for offering the Zuhr or Dhuhr namaz timing starts after the sun passes its zenith and lasts until 20 min (approx) before the call for the Asr prayer is to be given. There is thus a long period of time within which this prayer can be offered, but people usually make their prayer within two hours after the Azan has been announced from Mosque.[according to whom?][clarification needed] This prayer needs to be given in the middle of the work-day, and people normally make their prayers during their lunch break.

Shia differs regarding end of zuhr time. Per all major Jafari jurists, end of dhuhr time is about 10 minutes before sunset, the time that belongs exclusively to asr prayer. Dhuhr and asr time overlaps, apart from first 5 minutes of dhuhr, which is exclusively delegated for it. Asr prayer cannot be offered before zuhr in the zuhr time.

Asr (afternoon)
Main article: Asr prayer
The Asr prayer starts when the shadow of an object is the same length as the object itself (or, according to Hanafi school, twice its length)[citation needed] plus the shadow length at zuhr, and lasts till sunset. Asr can be split into two sections; the preferred time is before the sun starts to turn orange, while the time of necessity is from when the sun turns orange until sunset.

Shia (Jafari madhab) differs regarding start of asr time. Per all major Jafari jusrists[citation needed], start of asr time is about 5 minutes after the time of sun passing through zenith, that time belongs exclusively to dhuhr prayer. Time for dhuhr and asr prayers overlap, but the zuhr prayer must be offered before asr, except the time about 10 minutes before sunset, which is delegated exclusively to asr. In the case that the mentioned time is reached, asr prayer should be offered first (ada - on time) and dhuhr (kada - make up, late) prayer should be offered after asr.

Maghrib (sunset)
Main article: Maghrib prayer
The Maghrib prayer begins when the sun sets, and lasts until the red light has left the sky in the west.

Isha (night)Edit
Main article:
The Isha'a or isha prayer starts when the red light is gone from the western sky, and lasts until the rise of the "white light" (fajr sadiq) in the east. The preferred time for Isha is before midnight, meaning halfway between sunset and sunrise.

Ok, so you are doing more than the requirement.

Yes i know the times change, i understand its based on the sun so not only do they change by month they change by location too. Very confusing

Spirit of Light

Be who ever you want
Ok, so you are doing more than the requirement.

Yes i know the times change, i understand its based on the sun so not only do they change by month they change by location too. Very confusing
The times changes because of when sun rises and falls.
And i do 5 prayers a day :) when i become better in prayer and in my knowledge of the quran i may pray even more, but that will come later.

stvdv

The times changes because of when sun rises and falls.
And i do 5 prayers a day :) when i become better in prayer and in my knowledge of the quran i may pray even more, but that will come later.
Do you know what the meaning is behind the 5 times (madatory), why it was given + 2 additional ones?