• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Devil's Advocate

ScottySatan

I think creationists could argue better than they do with a bit more knowledge. For example:

-Science rules more or less say that you must be able to observe something to prove it. This eliminates the creation of life and the big bang from scientific proof. We will never be able to definitively say how life started because no person was there to observe it. If abiogenesis scientists manage to create a cell out of organic materials just with old earth conditions, it would be a huge breakthrough. But, they still can't definitively say that this is how life started. The strongest wording that any scientific journal would allow is "this is probably how life started".

-Abiogenesis is evolution. Evolutionary theory does not require a thing to be alive. It just says that if a thing can replicate itself and change, it is subject to evolution. If some of those changes are successful, and it can become more prominent in the population, than it is going through natural selection. Enzymes made of protein, RNA, or DNA can do this. Evolution often asks "what did we evolve from?" what evolved into that? what evolved into that? The natural progression is "how did the first life form?". People who study abiogenesis for a living call themselves evolutionary biologists, and publish in evolution journals. A biologist with any interest at all in evolution should happily answer abiogenesis questions in an evolution debate. If you argue so strongly that abiogenesis isn't evolution, it just makes you look like you can't argue about abiogenesis because you don't know anything about it, and you would be better off just admitting that. That's what science does, after all.

-Don't talk about eyes as an example of intelligent design. Eyes are not complex, relatively. There's very little going on in there compared to...pretty much take your pick of any other organ in your body. Also, the eye is a terrible example of irreducible complexity. There are literally hundreds of degrees of complexity to the eye in other organisms as you go back to the more primitive. Microscopic parasitic flatworms have primitive eyes. Single celled algae like Chlamydomonas have eyespots, and they even look like eyes. I can't list here all of the hundreds. I would pick an eye as a prime example of how a structure evolved over billions of years, not as a counterexample. The opposite of what creationists do. If I wanted to make some kind of watchmaker parable, I wouldn't pick eyes as my example, I'd pick bones. I'd point out the microscopic anatomy of bones (more complex than you think). and how bones start in evolution fairly abruptly with the bony fish. Nothing similar to bone exists before bony fish, and most everything had bony fish-like bones afterwards. It was a rapid invention of a unique and complex structure, unlike the eye.

Hey creationists, I think I have better arguments for your cause than you do, but I still believe in evolution.

exchemist

Veteran Member
I think creationists could argue better than they do with a bit more knowledge. For example:

-Science rules more or less say that you must be able to observe something to prove it. This eliminates the creation of life and the big bang from scientific proof. We will never be able to definitively say how life started because no person was there to observe it. If abiogenesis scientists manage to create a cell out of organic materials just with old earth conditions, it would be a huge breakthrough. But, they still can't definitively say that this is how life started. The strongest wording that any scientific journal would allow is "this is probably how life started".

-Abiogenesis is evolution. Evolutionary theory does not require a thing to be alive. It just says that if a thing can replicate itself and change, it is subject to evolution. If some of those changes are successful, and it can become more prominent in the population, than it is going through natural selection. Enzymes made of protein, RNA, or DNA can do this. Evolution often asks "what did we evolve from?" what evolved into that? what evolved into that? The natural progression is "how did the first life form?". People who study abiogenesis for a living call themselves evolutionary biologists, and publish in evolution journals. A biologist with any interest at all in evolution should happily answer abiogenesis questions in an evolution debate. If you argue so strongly that abiogenesis isn't evolution, it just makes you look like you can't argue about abiogenesis because you don't know anything about it, and you would be better off just admitting that. That's what science does, after all.

-Don't talk about eyes as an example of intelligent design. Eyes are not complex, relatively. There's very little going on in there compared to...pretty much take your pick of any other organ in your body. Also, the eye is a terrible example of irreducible complexity. There are literally hundreds of degrees of complexity to the eye in other organisms as you go back to the more primitive. Microscopic parasitic flatworms have primitive eyes. Single celled algae like Chlamydomonas have eyespots, and they even look like eyes. I can't list here all of the hundreds. I would pick an eye as a prime example of how a structure evolved over billions of years, not as a counterexample. The opposite of what creationists do. If I wanted to make some kind of watchmaker parable, I wouldn't pick eyes as my example, I'd pick bones. I'd point out the microscopic anatomy of bones (more complex than you think). and how bones start in evolution fairly abruptly with the bony fish. Nothing similar to bone exists before bony fish, and most everything had bony fish-like bones afterwards. It was a rapid invention of a unique and complex structure, unlike the eye.

Hey creationists, I think I have better arguments for your cause than you do, but I still believe in evolution.
There is either a misconception here or at least an unfortunate choice of words. There is no proof of any theory of science. The most you can say is that the all the evidence is consistent with the theory. Furthermore, the requirement for "observation" does not necessarily imply that you can observe an entire process in real time. We can't do that for galactic rotation, or plate tectonics, or the formation of a glaciated landscape. Yet we have soundly observation-based theories for all of these.

I also disagree with you about abiogenesis being part of evolution. It seems to me it is quite distinct from it, though once replication has started than obviously selection of inherited traits can begin. Abiogenesis includes all the the biochemical steps before a replication mechanism was established. These would have to include how the first membranes formed, how the ADP/ATP system became established as the energy transmission system in biochemical reaction systems, how the metabolic cycle started, how the various chemical building blocks were synthesised, how proteins and other long-chain molecules were first synthesised without being degraded, how the chirality of biochemistry become established and all such things. Since no replication mechanism can be assumed while all this was happening, evolution can say nothing about the process. One is in the world of chemistry, not biology, yet.

I do agree about the eye of course. However my impression is that creationists realise this and have more or less given up on the eye as an example of design. The Kitzmiller trial illustrated some of the newer things they tried to fix on (e.g. the bacterial flagellum) - and how they too have been shown to have plausible evolutionary mechanisms and so have to be abandoned. I don't in fact know what the current flavour of the month is for an example of "design" in the ID community. I suppose I should go onto Uncommon Descent or somewhere to find out, but I can't quite face putting on the requisite NBC suit. :D

Jumi

I like the idea of playing "devil's advocate" for creationism. Like you, I believe evolution and find the common arguments against it based mostly on ignorance. It's not too hard to improve on the arguments...

ChristineM

"Be strong", I whispered to my coffee.
Premium Member

Wrong, observation is a valid method, so is experiment.

Abiogenesis is not in itself evolution. But is on step in an evolutionary process that stated with just after beginning of this universe and will continue until the universe ends.

Behe's irreducible complexity has been thoroughly debunked on just about every level, no more is needed.

"Nothing similar to bone exists before bony fish"... cartilage?

ScottySatan

"Nothing similar to bone exists before bony fish"... cartilage?

Cartilage is not similar to bone.

edited to add: that is the answer, but not a satisfactory one. Bone is not derived from cartilage. Bone is alive. Bone feels pain. Bone has blood vessels. Bone has different kinds of cells (osteoblasts, osteoclasts) that build and decay the crystalline material of bone, respectively. Cartilage has none of that. Bone and cartilage, under the microscope don't look the same at all.

To prove all that, I would just check out wikipedia.

Last edited:

ScottySatan

Holy crap, you guys. I can answer and argue, but it's going to take me awhile to get to all of this. Please be patient.

ScottySatan

There is either a misconception here or at least an unfortunate choice of words. There is no proof of any theory of science. The most you can say is that the all the evidence is consistent with the theory. Furthermore, the requirement for "observation" does not necessarily imply that you can observe an entire process in real time. We can't do that for galactic rotation, or plate tectonics, or the formation of a glaciated landscape. Yet we have soundly observation-based theories for all of these.

I'm assuming here that a theory is something proven.

ScottySatan

also disagree with you about abiogenesis being part of evolution. It seems to me it is quite distinct from it,

People who work on evolution call abiogenesis evolution. My own grad school classes taught abiogenesis as part of evolution. Abiogenesis research articles appear in evolution science journals. Please disagree with all that, because what I'm really trying to say is that when you argue with a creationist, do abiogenesis too, or you look like you don't know what you're talking about.

exchemist

Veteran Member
I'm assuming here that a theory is something proven.
No that's not right. Any theory in science is only provisional, because science always has to stay open to the possibility that some future class of observation may show the theory needs replacement or amendment. This has happened many times in the history of science. Think of Newtonian mechanics, versus relativity or quantum theory for example.

A theory is just a model of an aspect of nature which enables us to account for what we observe and predict what future observations can be expected. Many of these models are in fact acknowledged to be only approximate, but we still use them in that knowledge.

So "proof" just does not apply to a scientific theory. This is a well-known conclusion in the philosophy of science.

Last edited:

exchemist

Veteran Member
People who work on evolution call abiogenesis evolution. My own grad school classes taught abiogenesis as part of evolution. Abiogenesis research articles appear in evolution science journals. Please disagree with all that, because what I'm really trying to say is that when you argue with a creationist, do abiogenesis too, or you look like you don't know what you're talking about.
Do they? Can you give an example? I am sceptical.

I would not be surprised if some aspects of abiogenesis are published in evolution journals, but I think you will find a lot are published elsewhere, in biochemical or geophysical journals, too.

I quote you a para from Wiki that seems relevant:

"Abiogenesis, or informally the origin of life,[3][4][5][note 1] is the natural process by which life arises from non-living matter, such as simple organic compounds.[6][4][7][8] The transition from non-living to living entities was not a single event, but a gradual process of increasing complexity that involved molecular self-replication, self-assembly, autocatalysis and cell membranes.[9][10][11]

Researchers study abiogenesis through a combination of molecular biology, paleontology, astrobiology, oceanography, biophysics, geochemistry and biochemistry, and aim to determine how pre-life chemical reactions gave rise to life.[12] The study of abiogenesis can be geophysical, chemical, or biological,[13] with more recent approaches attempting a synthesis of all three,[14] as life arose under conditions that are strikingly different from those on Earth today."

This is not a description of just studies in evolutionary science.

Here are some more sources that recognise the difference between evolution and abiogenesis:

Evolution vs. Abiogenesis – Know the Difference! – TTC

Evolution -- Abiogenesis -- Origin of Life

On the contrary, claiming that abiogenesis is the same as evolution is a classic rhetorical trick that creationists like to use, for example here*: Pretending that Evolutionary Theory is Separable from Abiogenesis

So it seems to me it is the person who mixes up abiogenesis and evolution who doesn't know what he is talking about.

Regarding your grad school classes, I expect you were taught abiogenesis along with evolution because they did not spend much time on it and slotted it into the curriculum alongside. What was your grad school subject?

* In the end I did don the NBC suit and go, briefly, to Uncommon Descent. I expect you are more familiar with this site than I am.

Last edited:

exchemist

Veteran Member

edited to add: that is the answer, but not a satisfactory one. Bone is not derived from cartilage. Bone is alive. Bone feels pain. Bone has blood vessels. Bone has different kinds of cells (osteoblasts, osteoclasts) that build and decay the crystalline material of bone, respectively. Cartilage has none of that. Bone and cartilage, under the microscope don't look the same at all.

I recommend this excellent article on the subject of the evolution of mineralised internal structures: Where did bone come from?: An overview of its evolution

This will give you an idea of how much our understanding of this subject has grown over the last decade.

ChristineM

"Be strong", I whispered to my coffee.
Premium Member

Thats evolution for ya!

Endochondral ossification is the process of bone development from hyaline cartilage.
Bone Growth and Development | Biology for Majors II

Btw bone doesnt feel pain, its the nerves in the periosteum that transmit the pain to the brain