• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

devi gita vs bhagaad gita

ive only read a bit of both and they were interesting. but both devi and krishna seem to sometimes refer to themselves in unisex ways. and universal ways. so why pick a gender at all and who do u feel is supreme godhead if u believe there is one

Maija

Why pick a gender at all?

Because, while some may feel that they are in between or feel a bit of both most people feel that they are comfortable with what was chosen for them. I am happy with the genitals I was dealt and feel that I embody most of the aspects that go with it, while it's not a rule..I am okay with that.

To avoid confusion in your relationships and an IDENTITY you must choose something. You either choose you're one or the other or you're both when it's convenient and personal. Not choosing at all and taking a stance is not convenient, I think it'd be terribly confusing to you and those around you causing suffering and unhappines. You can change what you choose, but you always make a choice.

The Supreme Godhead that I am most drawn to is Shri Krishna at this point. I'm reading the BG and just started it, can't comment on devi gita.
What I have learnt about it: Devi-Bhagavata Purana (Sanskrit, n., देवी भागवतपुराण, Devī Bhāgavatapurāṇa, "the old book of the Goddess"), also known as Shrimad Devi Bhagvatam or Devi Bhagavatam, is one of the most important work in Shaktism, the veneration in Hinduism of the divine feminine, next to Devi Mahatmya.[1] Although the Devi-Bhagavata Purana is considered as a Upapurana (secondary Purana) by many, the text claims itself a Maha Purana ("Great Purana").[2]

The Devi-Bhagavata Purana is one of the Puranic works that are not necessarily authoritative for all Hindus, but that have special importance for the Shakta sect within Hinduism
. The text describes the Devi (eng: Divine) the Goddess, as the foundation of the world and as identical with Brahman, the Supreme Being.

Clearly, I think it'd be wonderful for everyone to take an opportunity to check this book out, it's of essential importance to Shaktas.

great topic!

Last edited:
ive only read a bit of both and they were interesting. but both devi and krishna seem to sometimes refer to themselves in unisex ways. and universal ways. so why pick a gender at all and who do u feel is supreme godhead if u believe there is one

God is Supreme, no doubt. He is both saguna (with qualities) that are describable, and nirguna (without qualities) in that He is beyond them.

When the Vedic rishis, the Vedic seers of wisdom desired to make known the glories of the Lord in a personal way, they saw the different forms of the Lord, and recited them thusly. So while you have Shaktas who see Devi Gita as describing their most cherished aspects of their Divine Presence, the Shaivas see Tirumantiram as poetic glorifications of their conceptions of the Divine, and Vaishnavas will consider the Gita as the ultimatum in their conceptions of the Divine Lord.

God desires that we come to Him, and so He provides a way, a Dharma, among the infinite many, to come to Him. These shastras (scriptures) give us humans a way to describe the Undescribable, and to experience the mercy of the Lord by Himself lowering His infinitude so we can conceive of His limitlessness and sweetness.

"As all surrender unto Me, I reward them accordingly. Everyone follows My path in all respects, O son of Pritha."

-- Srimad Bhagavad-gita, 4.11

Jainarayan

ॐ नमो भगवते वासुदेवाय
Staff member
Premium Member
There are verses in the B.G., I'm too lazy to pull them up right now, in which Sri Krishna compares Himself to concepts and other beings: "I am sex life which does not violate dharmic principles... among generals, I am Skanda lord of war... ". Sri Krishna is All. In His Vishwarupa (Universal Form) display to Arjuna, all beings, devas, deities, concepts, existence, known and unknown, seen, unseen, never before seen, never to be seen, male and female are revealed within Him.

I concur (I agree for different reasons, as my comments show) with Gaura Priya, Madhuri and Maija in their views. Moreover, Sri Krishna says (again, too lazy to pull up the verse), that as embodied souls, it is highly difficult to focus on the unmanifest form of God, so therefore as beings with senses, we need to experience something to which our senses and intellect can relate.

Vrindavana Das

In the ultimate realization, Supreme Lord - Kṛṣṇa is the only male - pursha. All others are female - prakrītī.

In fact, Supreme Lord says that He is even superior to purusha (male). Thus, He is known as Purushottama.

Purushottam = Purush (male) + Uttam (Excellent)

yo mām evam asammūḍho
jānāti puruṣottamam
sa sarva-vid bhajati māṁ
sarva-bhāvena bhārata​

Whoever knows Me as Purushottam (Supreme Personality of Godhead), without doubting, is the knower of everything. He therefore engages himself in full devotional service to Me, O son of Bharata. [B.G. 15.19]

Maya3

God is Supreme, no doubt. He is both saguna (with qualities) that are describable, and nirguna (without qualities) in that He is beyond them.

When the Vedic rishis, the Vedic seers of wisdom desired to make known the glories of the Lord in a personal way, they saw the different forms of the Lord, and recited them thusly. So while you have Shaktas who see Devi Gita as describing their most cherished aspects of their Divine Presence, the Shaivas see Tirumantiram as poetic glorifications of their conceptions of the Divine, and Vaishnavas will consider the Gita as the ultimatum in their conceptions of the Divine Lord.

God desires that we come to Him, and so He provides a way, a Dharma, among the infinite many, to come to Him. These shastras (scriptures) give us humans a way to describe the Undescribable, and to experience the mercy of the Lord by Himself lowering His infinitude so we can conceive of His limitlessness and sweetness.

"As all surrender unto Me, I reward them accordingly. Everyone follows My path in all respects, O son of Pritha."

Beautiful!

Maya

Maija

I think we should remember this, the minute I read this- I loved it !

I think we should remember this, the more we learn about a religion it shouldn't undermine this, regardless of sect and method of reaching God..

Shuddhasattva

And yet other Devi texts (including the Devi Bhagavata, of which the Devi Gita is a part) will proclaim the Devi as Purusha, and beyond Purusha...

The gender duality is the central Mystery of Hindu Dharma.

I will elaborate on this in a thread as soon as I can manage.

Last edited: