• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Deuteronomy 20:16-18

Shermana

Heretic
So am I correct when I assume you think "put to the sword" means "Dangle a sword in front of them and hope it scares them into leaving?"

Shermana

Heretic
And I wonder what you think it means to make the surrendering forces forced laborers.

"If they accept and open their gates, all the people in it shall be subject to forced labor and shall work for you."

Shermana

Heretic
Strong

http://biblesuite.com/hebrew/2763.htmA primitive root; to seclude; specifically (by a ban) to devote to religious uses (especially destruction); physical and reflexive, to be blunt as to the nose -- make accursed, consecrate, (utterly) destroy, devote, forfeit, have a flat nose, utterly (slay, make away).

People should beware. A person needs no sword to be living by the sword.

Notice that it says "destroy" as one of its uses.

Now are you denying that it can and is used as "Destroy" in several instances of that word? I'm very interested to what you think "put to the sword" means.

savagewind

Veteran Member
Premium Member

Now are you denying that it can and is used as "Destroy" in several instances of that word? I'm very interested to what you think "put to the sword" means.

Verse and translation please?

savagewind

Veteran Member
Premium Member

Wickedness should be destroyed, don't you think? "Breath" means spirit. To conclude it means kill the people is evil imo.

savagewind

Veteran Member
Premium Member
If the scripture meant destroy. As in destroy. How would it read? Any differently?

"Kill" Strong's 5221 If he is able to fight and kill me, we will become your subjects; but if I overcome him and kill him, you will become our subjects and serve us. 1 Samuel 17:9

beat, cast forth, clap, give wounds, go forward, indeed, kill, make slaughter,

A primitive root; to strike (lightly or severely, literally or figuratively) -- beat, cast forth, clap, give (wounds), X go forward, X indeed, kill, make (slaughter), murderer, punish, slaughter, slay(-er, -ing), smite(-r, -ing), strike, be stricken, (give) stripes, X surely, wound.

savagewind

Veteran Member
Premium Member
And I wonder what you think it means to make the surrendering forces forced laborers.

"If they accept and open their gates, all the people in it shall be subject to forced labor and shall work for you."

OK Now you're funny. Dead people working? I think not!

Last edited:

Rakhel

Interesting. Strong's...lexicon(or perhaps the use if it) is attempting to change history.
The Hebrews were not a barbaric race, but rather a loving race that convinced nations to abandon their lands.
Just cuz.
:rolleyes:

savagewind

Veteran Member
Premium Member
Interesting. Strong's...lexicon(or perhaps the use if it) is attempting to change history.
The Hebrews were not a barbaric race, but rather a loving race that convinced nations to abandon their lands.
Just cuz.
:rolleyes:

Uh,no! By the power of God.

Shermana

Heretic
Very interesting the word for sword comes from root word drought.

The sword is for protection.
Luke 22:36

Okay, so what then is your interpretation of put them to the sword. Ask God to bring drought on them so they have to move?

You should seriously make a Bible commentary, I think there's a big market for your interpretations.

Levite

Higher and Higher

How do the religious self-rationalize against the apparent violence of God. Often when speaking with the religious I am subjected to a barrage of scriptures regarding God's "good word". What of Deut. 20:16-18 where God calls for the genocide of an entire nation? I am curious, how do you make this...ok with yourself? Or even more interesting, do you take this scripture and other similar scriptures to attest to the Good and EVIL of the Biblical God?
-Nu

One more reason not to read the Written Torah in the absence of the Oral Torah: the Rabbis of the Talmud clarify that this meant that when engaged in the Wars of Conquest with the Canaanite tribes, the People Israel were to give their enemies a choice: surrender, remain where they were, but cease practicing idolatry (i.e., become gerei toshav, resident aliens who have formally abjured idolatry and pagan practices); surrender and become gerei tzedek (i.e., converts to Israelite Judaism); leave the land of Canaan with a portion of their livestock and as much property as they could carry with them; or fight to the death. If they chose the last option, the Israelites were then to have no mercy, and to battle them to eradication. If they chose any of the former, the Israelites were to spare their lives, their livestock, and their property, and were not to harm them.

It is also worth noting that the Wars of Conquest were one-time affairs: the only time that we are taught that God has commanded or will command us directly to engage in warfare.

Pegg

Jehovah our God is One
"Do unto others as you would have them do unto you"

Does anyone WANT a sword or a stick or a gun lifted up towards them? If not, then dont lift a sword up to anyone else. Thats what Jesus means.

savagewind

Veteran Member
Premium Member
Okay, so what then is your interpretation of put them to the sword. Ask God to bring drought on them so they have to move?

You should seriously make a Bible commentary, I think there's a big market for your interpretations.

I will accept this as sarcasm. I do know what the writers of anything thought. I am just proving to myself that you do not know either. Nobody knows. Nobody can tell. If you do tell and you are wrong, you are doing what the goats who go off into destruction are doing. It's true.

savagewind

Veteran Member
Premium Member
"Do unto others as you would have them do unto you"

Does anyone WANT a sword or a stick or a gun lifted up towards them? If not, then dont lift a sword up to anyone else. Thats what Jesus means.

But not lifting a sword against anyone will not prevent a sword being lifted up toward me.

You will reap what you sow. This is a law before Christ. 'Jesus' did not bring this law with him. If you sow peace, you will reap peace. If you sow war, you will reap war.