• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Detroit area Catholics - tired of fish during Lent?

9-10ths_Penguin

1/10 Subway Stalinist
Premium Member
If you are, good news! You have another option: muskrat!

Detroit-area Roman Catholics have one more dining option during Lent than most other followers of the faith. The culinary appeal of that item, however, is up for debate.

A long-standing permission allows local Catholics to eat muskrat -- a furry, marsh-dwelling rodent native to the area -- "on days of abstinence, including Fridays of Lent," according to the Archdiocese of Detroit. The custom dates to the region's missionary history in the 1700s and is especially prevalent in communities along the Detroit River.

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/windsor/detroit-catholics-lent-muskrat-1.5101286

And apparently, the dispensation has resulted in some family traditions:

The Rev. Tim Laboe grew up in an area of Michigan where the practice has long been a tradition and recalls sitting down for muskrat dinners with his grandfather.

"I don't know if I enjoy more eating the muskrat or watching people try it for the first time, because it doesn't look in any way appetizing," said Laboe, dean of studies at Sacred Heart.

Laboe said some people describe it as tasting like duck, but he disagrees: "I think muskrat tastes like muskrat, and I don't think I can compare it to anything else."

metis

aged ecumenical anthropologist
I am never sick of fish. Matter of fact, I can and have at times give up all red meats for weeks and even months (3 is my "record") but I wouldn't even try and do that with fish.

BTW, I never tried muskrat, but I'll try almost anything once as I'm sometimes referred to by friends and relatives as being a "human garbage can".