• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Derek Chauvin, ex-cop convicted of killing George Floyd, stabbed in prison

Stevicus

Veteran Member
Staff member
Premium Member

Minnesota Attorney General Keith Ellison told the Star Tribune Chauvin was stabbed while serving time at the medium-security Federal Correctional Institution in Tucson when he was attacked by another inmate.

I read recently that this prison has been plagued with security lapses and staffing shortages.

Ellison said Chauvin, 47, survived his injuries and was transported to a hospital where he is in stable condition.

"I am sad to hear that Derek Chauvin was the target of violence," Ellison said. "He was duly convicted of his crimes and, like any incarcerated individual, he should be able to serve his sentence without fear of retaliation or violence."

Without naming Chauvin as the victim, the Federal Bureau of Prisons issued a statement Friday indicating an assault took place at the Tucson facility at about 12:30 p.m., and that prison employees "initiated life-saving measures for one incarcerated individual."

"Responding employees isolated and contained the incident and at no time was the public in danger," the bureau said in a statement to NBC News.

It appears that Chauvin will survive this ordeal, but it calls to attention other high-profile criminals being attacked, such as Larry Nasser being attacked at a Florida prison, and Jeffrey Epstein's suicide under mysterious circumstances. Public reaction to these kinds of occurrences might be mixed. When Jeffrey Dahmer was killed in prison, a lot of people thought "justice has been served." There's also a general attitude that "the guilty must suffer" and seem to be generally okay with the idea of prisoners creating their own hellholes.

So, there isn't a lot of mourning or tears when misfortune befalls some of these notorious individuals. Still, it kind of makes one wonder what the whole idea of prison is all about.

I also wonder about the guards in a prison where a former cop becomes a prisoner. Do they feel any kind of bond that "one of their own" is in their custody and might try to protect them? Or is it more the opposite, where they might look upon him as betraying their principles as law enforcement officers?

Saint Frankenstein

Wanderer From Afar
Premium Member
I think he was set up. He went from solitary confinement for his own protection at a maximum security prison, to a medium security prison with serious problems. Yeah, that's not strange at all.

Debater Slayer

Vipassana
Staff member
Premium Member
I think prison systems that don't properly take precautions to prevent this kind of thing are irresponsible and mismanaged. The rule of law entails that the penalty for a crime is what has been meted out by a court of law, not what is decided through mob justice in prison.

Even if someone gloats over such attacks when the target is a clearly guilty convict like Larry Nassar or Derek Chauvin, there's still a possibility that wrongly convicted or genuinely repentant people serving their sentences may be attacked too. This is not a course of action that helps to reduce or prevent further harm in any way; it is pure retribution.

wellwisher

I read recently that this prison has been plagued with security lapses and staffing shortages.

It appears that Chauvin will survive this ordeal, but it calls to attention other high-profile criminals being attacked, such as Larry Nasser being attacked at a Florida prison, and Jeffrey Epstein's suicide under mysterious circumstances. Public reaction to these kinds of occurrences might be mixed. When Jeffrey Dahmer was killed in prison, a lot of people thought "justice has been served." There's also a general attitude that "the guilty must suffer" and seem to be generally okay with the idea of prisoners creating their own hellholes.

So, there isn't a lot of mourning or tears when misfortune befalls some of these notorious individuals. Still, it kind of makes one wonder what the whole idea of prison is all about.

I also wonder about the guards in a prison where a former cop becomes a prisoner. Do they feel any kind of bond that "one of their own" is in their custody and might try to protect them? Or is it more the opposite, where they might look upon him as betraying their principles as law enforcement officers?
This sounds suspicious since it appears to coordinate with a provocative investigative report on George Floyd, that contradicts the Left wing media buzz of that time. That buzz instigated the riots of the summer of 2020. The autopsy of George Floyd showed that he had two clogged arteries and also had COVID when he was detained. There also had fentanyl in his system, that he may have eaten just after he was pulled over, to hide evidence. The police cam showed Floyd not showing his hands when requested, but appeared to be eating his stash bent over. Although the actions of the police may have contributed to his death, he was a ticking time bomb all by himself.

The pressure on the neck was a standard police tactic, that all the police had been trained to do to detain strong suspects. During the trial of the police, the chief of police committed perjury saying this tactic was never taught, thereby scapegoating all the police in the Floyd case, to help fit the Democrat narrative, that led to the riots. The hype and riots motivated the youth who then turned out to vote. It appears loose ends are now being tied up since new questions have been raised.

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
I think prison systems that don't properly take precautions to prevent this kind of thing are irresponsible and mismanaged. The rule of law entails that the penalty for a crime is what has been meted out by a court of law, not what is decided through mob justice in prison.

Even if someone gloats over such attacks when the target is a clearly guilty convict like Larry Nassar or Derek Chauvin, there's still a possibility that wrongly convicted or genuinely repentant people serving their sentences may be attacked too. This is not a course of action that helps to reduce or prevent further harm in any way; it is pure retribution.
There's a common feeling among voters here
that whatever happens to people in prison is
deserved. One feminist even told me that
men should be raped.
This is why funding is so poor, & violence is
accepted.

The Hammer

[REDACTED]
Premium Member

This is terrible and I hope he recovers quickly.

Our prison system is. Dangerous hellhole. Maybe this will get some people to see that.

Estro Felino

Believer in free will
Premium Member
As a premise, I believe he deserves his penalty. But a just penalty must be aimed at making him understand that what he did was wrong, and to make him become a new man.
So, a psychological-psychiatric path should have been provided for this person.

On the contrary, they completely abandoned him, and eventually he has fallen victim to the merciless, illegal system of retaliation that exists in many prisons.
I hope they stop making these mistakes and reform the penal system for good.

The penal system should have the purpose of rehabilitation.

libre

Skylark

A relative of mine works closely with ex-cons leaving the Canadian prison system in an adult education context.
Virtually all of them have described being exposed to some sort of serious mistreatment by the guards. One of her students told her that basically the only reason a guard would get involved if they were obligated to do so. One time a prisoner was fatally stabbed and the guards were more interested in making sure that he died in the ambulance rather than in the prison itself so that there was less paperwork to be done.

In my view, the only people who become prison guards in Ontario/Quebec are people who aren't able to make it as cops, and the brutality of the system reflects this. I am doubtful the US system is any better.

Last edited:

Heyo

Veteran Member

Not wanting to downplay this incident that shouldn't have happened but do we know that the attack was in retaliation for Floyd's murder? Or did he manage to **** off someone while he was in prison?

Stevicus

Veteran Member
Staff member
Premium Member
Not wanting to downplay this incident that shouldn't have happened but do we know that the attack was in retaliation for Floyd's murder? Or did he manage to **** off someone while he was in prison?

They haven't really offered any explanations other than that press statement. I would expect there will be an investigation and perhaps more information will come to light. I would also be interested in knowing why he was transferred from a more secure facility to a place where he could have been targeted at all.

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
Also, I'd expect that former cops in prison
would meet many resentful inmates.