• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Democrats vs Republicans

Magic Man

Reaper of Conversation
Sarah Palin is a Liberal's nightmare.

Sarah Palin is everyone's nightmare.

Just the though of President Palin gets them worked up.

That's probably because, as bad as our country is in many ways, we would like to not completely ruin it.

I get a hoot out of seeing the terror in their eyes. Now being a thinking man, I personally believe she would not be the best candidate for the Grand Old Party.

I have to wonder though, if she upsets the Liberals so much, I would have to be happy with her job performance as President.

In other words, on your list of priorities, seeing liberals upset is higher than seeing someone in power who will not completely destroy the country. Good to know.

Think about it, does a President have to be smart or just have good advisers?

The president doesn't have to be extremely smart, but he/she should have an IQ at least above 80.

MysticSang'ha

Big Squishy Hugger
Premium Member
Does the intellegence of past Presidents really matter here? :shrug:

If we're talking IQ here Obama beats Palin by a long shot. In my opinion putting Palin on the ticket was McCains death sentence in the election.

I think McCain might have had a better shot picking Lieberman as his VP. Good friend of his....vetted better.....would have supported his bi-partisan platform more. Instead, he listened to Karl Rove and went as far to the Right as possible.

They must have thought because the Far Right had boobs, that it would give them a better shot. It did, but just as a temporary shot in the arm. The moderates weren't having it in the long run.

I think the Republicans handed the victory over to the Democrats this last election.

Wandered Off

Sporadic Driveby Member
I think the Republicans handed the victory over to the Democrats this last election.
I believe what handed the Democrats the election was the electorate's "W fatigue." Instead of offering any kind of serious departure, the GOP picked someone who would stay the course. Even if they had offered a new direction candidate, I think the party was too badly tarnished in the minds of voters.

Mr Cheese

sarahspeaks.gif

MysticSang'ha

Big Squishy Hugger
Premium Member
I believe what handed the Democrats the election was the electorate's "W fatigue." Instead of offering any kind of serious departure, the GOP picked someone who would stay the course. Even if they had offered a new direction candidate, I think the party was too badly tarnished in the minds of voters.

I think that's true, too. Which is why I thought McCain was trying to distance himself from "W" quite a bit until it came to Iraq. The public perception of the war was tarnished, but he might have had a better chance when it came to health care and tax policies. I didn't agree with him on any of it, but he could have attracted more voters had he stayed away from Palin.

I do think Obama would have won anyway because of what you said, but it would have been a closer race. Not like the blowouts in elections like '08 and '84.

I think McCain might have had a better shot picking Lieberman as his VP. Good friend of his....vetted better.....would have supported his bi-partisan platform more. Instead, he listened to Karl Rove and went as far to the Right as possible.

They must have thought because the Far Right had boobs, that it would give them a better shot. It did, but just as a temporary shot in the arm. The moderates weren't having it in the long run.

I agree I may have even voted for McCain if he had chosen a descent running mate but when he chose Palin and she opened her mouth it was a no brainer who I would vote for.

They chose a woman running mate for all the wrong reasons, to appease the masses. They hadn't banked on people actually wanting a woman in the White House that had brains too.

Most definitely! Everyone had had enough of his shenanigans.

Sunstone

De Diablo Del Fora
Premium Member
It seems like this is one of the few times in history when one party is more likely to be telling the truth than the other party. Today's Democrats are somewhat more honest than today's Republicans. In the long run, of course, that will most likely change, but it's odd to see it happening at all.

Wannabe Yogi

Republican party platforms tend to be idiotic, wasteful, heartless, hateful, anti-equality, anti-feminist, anti-anything-non-Christian, overtly-imperialistic and militaristic, authoritarian, unconstitutional, and wishful thinking.

You know in 2000 I voted for Gore, but thought to my self there is not much difference between the two parties. There is a lot of difference between the two sides.

The all I have to do is bring up one name to prove my point.

John D. Negroponte, Bush's Director of National Intelligence. This man activity supported genocide against the Mayan people as Ambassador to Honduras (1981–1985)

In 1995, The Baltimore Sun published an extensive investigation of U.S. activities in Honduras. Speaking of Negroponte and other senior U.S. officials, an ex-Honduran congressman, Efraín Díaz,was quoted as saying:

Their attitude was one of tolerance and silence. They needed Honduras to loan its territory more than they were concerned about innocent people being killed.

The Democratic party would not name a man like this as a leader in our government. All other issue pale in comparison to letting 300,000 poor mayans be killed for political gain. Then we wonder why we torture people and the world hates us.

no-body

I can just imagine the alternate universe where McCain/Palin won. While President McCain quietly bails out and gives tax cuts to the mega corporations with no fan fair the nation continues the debate on repelling Roe vs Wade.

That said I would be extremely happy as a liberal if Palin ran for president against Obama next election round.

Valjean

Veteran Member
Premium Member
It seems to me that it's the Republicans that consistently lie, backbite and distort the truth.
It's they that are the masters of propaganda, fearmongering and simplistic, sound-bite rhetoric.

They own the media (or the media own them) and are able to manipulate news and public opinion. They create issues where none exist and supress discussion of important issues that do exist.

Kathryn

It was on fire when I laid down on it.
I voted for Hilary Clinton in the primaries. At least she's blatant about what she is - a ******, intelligent, driven woman who will use whatever power she has at hand to accomplish her goals. And I was really looking forward to her lording it over her ******* of a husband.

I can admire that a lot more than ANY of the smarmy "qualities" that Obama, McCain, or Palin embody.

Mr Cheese

Clinton is a corporate whore....

there are many reasosn to not want clinton

just examine her walmart connections..amongst many things

The Voice of Reason

Doctor of Thinkology
I am seeing a trend here. Apparently it is okay for Democrats to point out every little problem within the Republican party. If there is an issue with one person within the party, you like to label the whole party.
You're killing me. You are as bad as anyone that has ever been a member of RF, when it comes to painting with a broad brush.

You also like calling Sarah Palin names.
Kinda fun, isn't it? When the neocons run an airhead out there in front of the microphone, you can pretty much expect to see it pointed out by people that aren't drinking the Kool-aid with you.

What gives? Democrats can throw stones at my glass house, but if I toss a few back at theirs I am in the wrong? If Democrats think they are going to get us to walk on eggshells around them they are seriously mistaken.
The very first paragaph of your post laments the "labeling of an entire party", and just two short paragraphs later, here you are doing exactly that.

Do you own a mirror?

dust1n

Zindīq
I am seeing a trend here. Apparently it is okay for Democrats to point out every little problem within the Republican party. If there is an issue with one person within the party, you like to label the whole party. You also like calling Sarah Palin names.

On the other hand, if I oppose the Democratic party in any way I am suddenly a hypocrite or something. When Republicans point out problems within the Democratic party we are somehow picking on you. I am also constantly accused for singling you, as RF members out, when I oppose Democratic views.

What gives? Democrats can throw stones at my glass house, but if I toss a few back at theirs I am in the wrong? If Democrats think they are going to get us to walk on eggshells around them they are seriously mistaken.

Both parties are so 'right' that's is ridiculous. Not that I consider myself part of the 'Right/Left paradigm', but basically anything regarding policy is better handled by the government because it has the potential to be completely transparent, directly democratic, and constituted with a strong sense of egalitarianism, unlike the private sector, which is not transparent, democratic, or egalitarian, nor does it even pretend to claim to be; the lefter the better as far as actual policy goes, so I tend to sympathize with people on the left, though, it's important always that the left have a libertarian view as far as individual liberties and public liberties, but not on economic policy, social issues and what not.