• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Deists: do you believe God ever intervenes?

Thief

Rogue Theologian
Deists, wondering your thoughts on an after-life, and if you believe that God intervenes. Since God could very well be capable of anything, I don’t see why he wouldn’t or couldn’t ‘intervene’ at times. But, I don’t believe in heaven or hell, at least not in the way it’s characterized in the Abrahamic faiths.

Look forward to gaining some insight into how other Deists think on these subjects. :)

Well gee....I don't have a religion....I believe in God....and I suspect manipulation.

See Chapter Two of Genesis.
Isolation of a specimen, alteration of Man's body, cloning, release into the environment.....

Then a flood to reduce undesirables.....
Prophets to redirect and correct religion....

and that's not just Abraham.....include Moses, Jesus, and Muhammad....
as well as modern day prophets of lesser renown.

Or do you mean a more personal approach?
like having me slide down in the front seat of the passenger side....right before a drunk pulled out in front of us.
Had I been sitting upright, I would have died.

Deidre

Well gee....I don't have a religion....I believe in God....and I suspect manipulation.

Isolation of a specimen, alteration of Man's body, cloning, release into the environment.....

like having me slide down in the front seat of the passenger side....right before a drunk pulled out in front of us.

Both. :)
Religion is actually the manipulator, sir...you knew I'd say that, right? ;)

ThePainefulTruth

Romantic-Cynic

Aren't those merely examples of (ancient) hearsay or coincidence (if that)?

Thief

Rogue Theologian
To reply...I don't see the stories as coincidence.
I suspect a background event.

The lack of a photo doesn't allow proving....but I won't dismiss the content.
I am willing to sort through the account and make a decision.

Someone had to be First.

Neo Deist

Th.D. & D.Div. h.c.
Deists, wondering your thoughts on an after-life, and if you believe that God intervenes. Since God could very well be capable of anything, I don’t see why he wouldn’t or couldn’t ‘intervene’ at times. But, I don’t believe in heaven or hell, at least not in the way it’s characterized in the Abrahamic faiths.

Look forward to gaining some insight into how other Deists think on these subjects. :)

I believe in God as the creator and/or higher power.

I believe in the free will of living creatures. We make our own choices and deal with the consequences, good or bad. If God intervenes, it is no longer free will.

I do not believe in hell. The concept of a fiery, eternal punishment was an invention of man, used to control the masses by striking fear into them. This is why hell, fire and brimstone sermons were so popular with the clergy. The Church thrives on power and control.

I can't prove that there is or is not an afterlife. I would like to think there is something beyond this life, and that when my physical body dies here, my energy (which your body is full of and energy can't be destroyed...physics 101) goes somewhere, or ascends to the next level of existence, whatever that may be. I leave it to God to determine my fate when my time is up here. If He wants me to have an afterlife, He will make it so.

I do believe in karma. I have seen it come full circle too many times not to believe in it. It is because of this, and my moral upbringing, that I am lawful, honest, faithful and compassionate.