• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Deism vs Theism

Neo Deist

Th.D. & D.Div. h.c.
Info that is specific for this DIR:

Deism is the simple belief in God based on your observations of nature or the cosmos. It does not contain the concept of miracles, divine revelation or intervention, supernatural stories or a detailed mythology. In short, it is merely saying "I believe in God."

Theism includes the belief in God from deism, but then expands upon it. It develops a detailed mythology surrounding the concept of a deity, details about the afterlife or punishment, laws or commandments that must be followed, establishes genealogies, and incorporates supernatural elements such as miracles, divine revelation or intervention. Holy books are usually written and prophets, priests and religious artifacts are often prevalent. There are some theistic religions that won't have ALL of these things, but many do.

In summary, deism would be the parent and forerunner of theism. One must be born before it can crawl, walk or run. Religions are not born with an established theology; instead they grow from a simple beginning. Deism came first, although the term deism was not coined until a few hundred years ago. However, that does not change the fact that the concept has been around since the dawn of man.

Unveiled Artist

Veteran Member
Info that is specific for this DIR:

Deism is the simple belief in God based on your observations of nature or the cosmos. It does not contain the concept of miracles, divine revelation or intervention, supernatural stories or a detailed mythology. In short, it is merely saying "I believe in God."

Theism includes the belief in God from deism, but then expands upon it. It develops a detailed mythology surrounding the concept of a deity, details about the afterlife or punishment, laws or commandments that must be followed, establishes genealogies, and incorporates supernatural elements such as miracles, divine revelation or intervention. Holy books are usually written and prophets, priests and religious artifacts are often prevalent. There are some theistic religions that won't have ALL of these things, but many do.

In summary, deism would be the parent and forerunner of theism. One must be born before it can crawl, walk or run. Religions are not born with an established theology; instead they grow from a simple beginning. Deism came first, although the term deism was not coined until a few hundred years ago. However, that does not change the fact that the concept has been around since the dawn of man.

Question

Did you want us to ask you questions about deism and your post?

...cause we can't have a discussion (discussions aren't question/comment only) on what you posted.

Question

How does nature define god?

columbus

yawn <ignore> yawn
Question

How does nature define god?
To me, it's not that nature "defines" God. It's more like getting to know God by rigorously observing Creation because that's what we have to go on. As opposed to the stories told by humans about God, which is what most religion is based on.
It's like trying to understand an artist by analyzing his work, as opposed to stories about his childhood (of dubious authenticity). Science is the study of God as expressed in Creation. Religion is the study of humans.
Tom

Unveiled Artist

Veteran Member
To me, it's not that nature "defines" God. It's more like getting to know God by rigorously observing Creation because that's what we have to go on. As opposed to the stories told by humans about God, which is what most religion is based on.
It's like trying to understand an artist by analyzing his work, as opposed to stories about his childhood (of dubious authenticity). Science is the study of God as expressed in Creation. Religion is the study of humans.
Tom

Thats beautiful I see it that way. I havent connected it to god/entity/creator. I saw it more, how can I say, defining the "engine" or spirit/breathe of all life. Not a person that can Do things separate from creation but does things As creation.

I dont know how close that is to deism?

Question (sorry. have to make a distinction)

Is that close?