• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Define 'Christian'

Humanistheart

In another thread not long ago a small difficulty came up as the result of not having a definitive definition of christianity. There isn't an all incompussing term that I know of but if there is one what is it? And, assuming there's not, how do you define the word 'christian'? Also what would make one 'unchristian'?

Last edited:

cottage

In another thread not long ago a small difficulty came up as the result of not having a definitive definition of christianity. There isn't an all incompussing term that I know of but if there is one what is it? And, assuming there's not, how do you define the word 'christian'? Also what would make one 'unchristian'?

What about: Someone who follows or acknowledges the teachings of Christ?

Buttercup

Veteran Member
Ah man....I was gonna post a definition but I don't know if I want to touch this one. And, I considered myself a Christian for half my life.

Adso

The belief that Jesus of Nazareth was the Christ and Messiah and through His death and resurrection our sins may be forgiven.

DavyCrocket2003

There are problems with trying to find a good solid definition of "Christian." I won't really argue with anyone who wants to call themselves Christian. But to me, the name should mean something. In my opinion, to be truly Christian one should actually live the things Jesus taught. So in a way, I'm trying to be Christian, but I'm not quite there yet. This narrow definition would exclude in my opinion, a majority of those of us who call ourselves Christian. I think it can mean either: Who you are (live Christlike life) or what you believe (Jesus is Redeemer of mankind).

McBell

mantra-chanting henotheistic snake handler
Believing that Jesus Christ lived and died for our sins and is the only intermediary between yourself and God. Following him is also the only road to salvation.

McBell

a religious person who believes Jesus is the Christ and who is a member of a Christian denomination

McBell

[FONT=trebuchet ms,arial,helvetica]Christian: This term was derived indirectly from the Greek word for Messiah. It has many meanings:
[/FONT]
topbul2d.gif
[FONT=trebuchet ms,arial,helvetica]Census offices consider any person or group to be Christian if they devoutly, seriously regards themselves to be Christian. Thus, Jehovah's Witnesses, Mormons, Roman Catholic, and members of the Unification Church are Christians. Many groups, particularly conservative Christians, regard many of these denominations as heretical "cults" and not part of Christianity.[/FONT]

[FONT=trebuchet ms,arial,helvetica] [/FONT]
topbul2d.gif
[FONT=trebuchet ms,arial,helvetica]Webster's New World Dictionary: "A person believing in Jesus as the Christ, or in the religion based upon the teachings of Jesus."[/FONT]

topbul2d.gif
[FONT=trebuchet ms,arial,helvetica]Concise Oxford Dictionary: "Person believing in, professing or belonging to the religion of Christ." (They don't define exactly what the religion of Christ is, or which of the thousands of denominations and sects represent this religion.)[/FONT]

topbul2d.gif
[FONT=trebuchet ms,arial,helvetica]Evangelical/Fundamentalist usage: often used to refer only to fellow conservative Christian faith groups or to "saved" individuals.[/FONT]

Source
[FONT=trebuchet ms,arial,helvetica][/FONT]

gzusfrk

Christian
Christian is more than a believe, satan believes Jesus is the Son of God. There must be an action,to at least make an attempt to walk or live as Jesus did.

Riverwolf

Amateur Rambler / Proud Ergi
Premium Member

Someone who follows, or tries to follow, or thinks he is following, Jesus Christ, either with or without the Biblical canon.

The one who follows Christ follows him well, and is a good Christian.
The one who tries to follow Christ struggles, but if hard work is put in, it will pay off. Such a person is also a good Christian.
A person who thinks he is following Christ but constantly goes against the teachings of Jesus for whatever reason, including justifying passages from the Biblical canon, is a poor Christian, but is nevertheless still a Christian.

It is really up to the Christian in question to adequately judge whether or not someone is a good Christian or a poor Christian IMO. "Let him who is without sin cast the first stone!"

EDIT: My definition, of course, is not final.

McBell

EDIT: My definition, of course, is not final.
What is truly sad is that you felt the need to add this bit to your post....

I am actually waiting for some arse hat to come in here demanding to know what makes us an authority on what is and is not a Christian.

dust1n

Zindīq
Christian: One who makes a daily attempt in the understanding, analysis, questioning, and replication of the actions and teachings of Jesus Christ.

That's my guess.

Anyone who didn't fit that, but still call themselves Christian were referred to as "lukewarm", as in God rather have you be a complete denier, opposed to making him look bad.

Riverwolf

Amateur Rambler / Proud Ergi
Premium Member
What is truly sad is that you felt the need to add this bit to your post....

I am actually waiting for some arse hat to come in here demanding to know what makes us an authority on what is and is not a Christian.

Considering the fact that not every single sect and religion that follows Jesus in some way can actually agree on SOMETHING he said, it's kinda hard to determine. My definition was based solely on what I currently know and my current understanding of religion; besides being my own, it is subject to change.

John D

Spiritsurfer
What Christianity became: An umbrella description of deverse religious beliefs and dogmas with only one comon denominator: Jesus of Nasareth being the Christ (messiah) as promised in the Old Testament.

Post modern Christianity - Irrelavent