• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Decided not to marry, and going to become a nun

Spiderman

Veteran Member
haha that would be a good idea, i guess.

truthfully, most nuns these days, dress in regular street clothes...one might not even know that one is in the midst of nuns. :blush:
although, there are various orders whereby habits and such are still worn. it might be cool to wear a habit.
It's okay to love a nun just don't get in the habit :glomp:

I know some carmelite nuns in Houston minnesota. They wear the habit.

When I was with the Franciscans the female branch also wore habits.

Gentle peaceful souls they were:hibiscus:

Spiderman

Veteran Member
There is a group of "queer nuns" called the sisters of the perpetual indulgence in San Francisco.

They are men in drag but do a lot of service work for the poor.

Saint Frankenstein

Wanderer From Afar
Premium Member
Really, that's interesting!! I think in some ways, it would be a beautiful life...but, to forego having a romantic partner....forever....that would be tough. (imho)
Yeah. This was before I was out as a trans man or anything like that. I even went to a special dinner for prospective religious sisters. I shared a table with some nice Carmelite sisters. :)

In another life, I would've seriously been an ascetic. But, alas, I'm deeply in love with someone (who isn't a deity). So me being an ascetic wouldn't work. If I hadn't have met this person, I could probably do it. It's rather strange, because I'm a very sexual and romantic person but I could go without sex or erotic relationships if I haven't met someone who I feel a soulmate sort of bond with. I don't go chasing after sex or dating as it is.

Aupmanyav

Be your own guru
But Islam has no nuns. They have 'Shaheedas' (female martyrs). I say this because I read you are interested in Islam.

Messenger of Allah (PBUH) said ".. Being killed for the sake of Allah is martyrdom, the plague is martyrdom, drowning is martyrdom, stomach disease is martyrdom, and if a woman dies during the post-partum period, her child will drag her to Paradise by his umbilical cord.”
The hadith was narrated by Imam Ahmad in his Musnad with a 'saheeh isnaad'. There is a corroborating report narrated by Maalik and Abu Dawood.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Shaheeda

Spiderman

Veteran Member
But Islam has no nuns. They have 'Shaheedas' (female martyrs). I say this because I read you are interested in Islam.

Messenger of Allah (PBUH) said ".. Being killed for the sake of Allah is martyrdom, the plague is martyrdom, drowning is martyrdom, stomach disease is martyrdom, and if a woman dies during the post-partum period, her child will drag her to Paradise by his umbilical cord.”
The hadith was narrated by Imam Ahmad in his Musnad with a 'saheeh isnaad'. There is a corroborating report narrated by Maalik and Abu Dawood.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Shaheeda
I'm intrigued by that statement... especially the child taking you to Heaven by it's umbilical cord...dying in such ways is quite a blessing and free tickets to heaven eh?

Wirey

Fartist
It's been something I've thought about since childhood, have prayed about it lately...and that's my choice. Just sharing with my RF friends. :sunflower: :)

I say this with all sincerity, don't. If there is a God, I can assure you that he wants Mom's just like you out there. Live your life, love the people you love, and never, ever let a book written 2,000 years ago by idiots who thought the sun revolved around the earth and every species on the planet was within 2 miles of Noah's house be your guiding light. Please, just be.

Buttercup

Veteran Member
I say this with all sincerity, don't. If there is a God, I can assure you that he wants Mom's just like you out there. Live your life, love the people you love, and never, ever let a book written 2,000 years ago by idiots who thought the sun revolved around the earth and every species on the planet was within 2 miles of Noah's house be your guiding light. Please, just be.
A serious post by Wirey in an April Fool's thread? What is wrong with this world?? :coldsweat::coldsweat::coldsweat::joycat:

Desert Snake

Veteran Member

It's strange how you still want to speak for (any) Deity, as an atheist.

Deidre

I'm not used to a serious post by you. lol