• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Deceased organ donation for transplantation

The_Fisher_King

Trying to bring myself ever closer to Allah
Premium Member
What is your opinion about the validity or otherwise of deceased organ donation for transplantation purposes? If you agree with it, why do you do so? If not, why not?

The_Fisher_King

Premium Member
If parts of my body can save another's life when I've left my body, that's wonderful.

How do you define when you've left your body?

EDIT: To clarify, what criteria do you believe should be used to determine when someone has died?

SomeRandom

Still learning to be wise
Staff member
Premium Member
I have no problem with it. I mean our funeral rites consist of cremation anyway, so might as well harvest some useful organs beforehand :shrug:

The_Fisher_King

Premium Member
I have a living will specifying when it happens if there's any question.

Are you saying your living will specifies when organs should be taken from your body, i.e. when death should be determined (if you don't mind me asking)?

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
Are you saying your living will specifies when organs should be taken from your body, i.e. when death should be determined (if you don't mind me asking)?
The living will deals with circumstances to end life support.
Then my entire corpse is donated to the U Of Mich.

The_Fisher_King

Premium Member
I have no problem with it. I mean our funeral rites consist of cremation anyway, so might as well harvest some useful organs beforehand :shrug:

As an aside, do you - or does your religion - have any position on when exactly death should be determined for the purposes of proceeding with cremation?

Subduction Zone

Veteran Member
I do believe that there are standards for what is considered to be "brain dead". If I get to that point and my organs are still useful they can have them. If I die in a hospital they may be able to immediately harvest organs after my heart stops. I will just be a big bag of meat at that point in time.