• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Death, Misunderstood

Straw Dog

[FONT=&quot]The leaves have begun to make their final fall. The grass has stopped growing and forfeited its fight against the mighty mower. Snow flakes lay down silently against the dead earth. 'Tis the season for the cessation of all things.[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]Turkeys have ceased their death toil as they become the food of mankind. It isn't wholly unnatural as it is natural for us to feed upon them. We merely happen to feed more ferociously this season upon their kind as we tend to satisfy our lust despite the cost. No need to feel guilt as it is the way of all things.[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]Death is often misunderstood. It is held as a polarity to life. It is an evil that society seeks to expunge. In this endless expedition, society forces violence where no harm really needs to be. It creates destructive disorder without realizing that creation itself may also be disorderly. Life is wholly impossible without death.[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]
[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]For someone to love life and yet hate death reveals an incomplete understanding of life. Almost everything we eat was once alive and it died in order to perpetuate our particular form of life. This body does not truly belong to me. It arises spontaneously from the myriad elements that form its constitution. Upon death, all elements shall deconstruct and reconstitute a new being. Death, eating, reproduction... This triad constitutes all things.[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]
[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]It is almost as if there really was only one Life that has perpetuated Itself billions of years on Earth through the recycling of forms. We are each a form of life, unique and individual. There will never be quite such another form as "you" and "I". Yet these forms do not belong to us. They are on loan from Nature.[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]I find the notion of Eternal Life to be quite absurd. It postulates such a state that death is no longer. How can there be life without death? Life may only manifest through the cycle of death, eating, and reproduction. I invite all to show evidence to the contrary. I cannot entertain such a state with knowledge that my fellow man is suffering in Eternal Death. It is quite unnatural, as we are social animals are we not?[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]When the life that constitutes "I" has exhausted all its elements and died, I do not wish to grasp vainly at its form. To do so reveals a desire to constrain or outright suspend the infinite creative potential of cosmic evolution. It represents a willful desire to control a static reality, which is contradictory to the nature of things. Please, do not bury me in a box to prevent my remains from decay. I do not wish to suspend this form in vain. The universe must sing a new song and I gladly offer my bones as chords for the choir. [/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]The only real responsibility I have is to fully realize my potential. I am a microcosm within the macrocosm seeking to fulfill its fruition, as we all are. There is yet potential to realize and this particular form of life has not yet been fully cultivated. Like a garden, we all must yet blossom.[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]The only real tragedy is the death of a life form before it reaches its maximum potential. Equally tragic is the life that has plenty of time and yet refuses to realize its potential. We are here to release our most innate manifestations as a catalyst for the continued evolution of life. The real victory of Life is its ability to transcend all predicaments.[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]More often than not, we are more disturbed by the death of loved ones than we are of ourselves. I do not claim any absolute escape from the fear of death as it is in the human condition to fear. Regardless, through deep contemplation and acceptance we may gain a certain power over death that escapes all preconceptions. Without death, life would not make any sense. Life is death and death is life.[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]I'll end here with a story from the book Zhuangzi:[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]When Zhuangzi's wife died, Huizi went to console him and found him sitting on the ground, drumming on the basin and singing. Huizi said, "You loved her all these years, you lived with her, you brought up your children and grew old together. Now that she's gone, don't you owe her a few tears, or at least silence? But pounding on a tub and singing at the top of your lungs- that's a bit much, don't you think?"[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]"Not at all," Zhuangzi replied, "When she died, I mourned as anyone else would. But then I looked back to the root of her being: not just before she was born, but before she even had a body; not just before she had a body, but before she had a soul. In the midst of the unfathomable ever-changing mystery, suddenly, out of nowhere, she had a soul. Then suddenly, she had a body. Then, suddenly, she was born.[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]"Now there has been another transformation, and she's dead. The same process that brought her to birth, in time brought her to death, as naturally as fall turns into winter and spring into summer. Now she is lying at peace in her vast room. I realized that if I went around wailing and pounding my chest, it would show that I didn't understand the first thing about reality. So I stopped." (chapter 18) [/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]So it goes on and on and on. [/FONT]

Last edited:

Shiranui117

Pronounced Shee-ra-noo-ee
Premium Member
I've recently been having major problems getting over an almost frantic fear of death. Reading this helped. I thank you.