• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Death, Adam and... stuff...

9-10ths_Penguin

1/10 Subway Stalinist
Premium Member
The flood could have been caused by the rapid movement of continents and huge tital waves, in addition to rain.
How?

A wave is transient; it may get everything wet, but most of the water immediately recedes, even with the biggest wave. Also, a wave doesn't change the total amount of water on the planet; if the water level goes up in one place, it would have to go down in another. If a wave were to flood an entire continent, it would probably mean a dry ocean bottom on the other side of the world. Tidal waves couldn't create a flood that covered the surface of the Earth for 40 days straight.

Also, this would cause huge amounts of stress on the continents. Soil keeps a record of how the maximum amount of stress was placed on it in the past - we can see it in the consolidation curve.

Now... this part is a bit heavy and dry, but have a look at page 2 in this PDF. See the two graphs? Look at the one on the right - when soil is put under stress (e.g. when it's had a glacier on top of it, when more soil is deposited on top of it, or, hypothetically, when continents shift back and forth so quickly that it causes tidal waves), it permanently compresses the soil. That maximum stress on the soil shows up as a "kink" in the graph when we load a sample. The stress where the kink occurs is the same as the greatest stress that the soil has ever been subjected to.

All over the world, the behaviour of soil matches the accepted version of the history of the Earth (i.e. slow movement of the continents, no global flood, glaciers sitting on parts of the world at different times). It does not agree with a sudden worldwide flood, and it certainly doesn't agree with tidal waves created by all the continents moving rapidly back and forth.

Then after the flood, the change from wet, swampy conditions to more like we have today (more inhabitable), could have transpired at a pace more rapidly than what we experience now.
How?

The way that surface and subsurface drainage works is very well understood. What was different, and why are things different now than in your hypothetical past?

Just a theory.
No... just an idea. I wouldn't even rate this one as a hypothesis. You have a long way to go before you get to "theory".

I mean we're talking about a world that we assume God created, because of the earlier question on death & dinosaurs. So surely a God who created a world, can move continents.
But even if you assume a God that could move continents doesn't mean that he did.

Starfish

Please no sarcasm
How?

But even if you assume a God that could move continents doesn't mean that he did.

I don't know how. I was answering a question in a post based on the assumption that God created the world. So if you are atheist, then this is all moot(?). I don't know why or how God would move continents. It just says in the scriptures that they were moved. I don't know how he created the world either. Sorry.

Angelfire

Sola'lor posted something in a topic about dinosaurs that got me thinking.

If death didn't exist in the world before the fall, then why are their fossils of DEAD creatures all over the world, which pre-date humanity?

Life was never in the bodies of those dead fossils.You yourself are not in your body.if
you drop your body does it mean you are dead? How can it mean you are dead if you
were never in the body to begin with. Life is ever in Spirit, and Spirit is eternal.

I think the death mentioned at the fall was Spiritual death not physical death.

Hope this helps.

peace

9-10ths_Penguin

1/10 Subway Stalinist
Premium Member
I don't know how. I was answering a question in a post based on the assumption that God created the world. So if you are atheist, then this is all mute. I don't know why or how God would move continents. It just says in the scriptures that they were moved. I don't know how he created the world either. Sorry.
It's not moot - I'm prepared to abandon any belief or assumption I have if compelling evidence is presented to me.

My point is just that the scenarios you suggested have implications that create testable predictions. We can actually examine the Earth (or, where possible, re-consider examinations that other people have already done, since it's a lot less work ;) ) and see if things happened the way you've suggested. If the signs we predict aren't there, or if contrary signs are there, we know that one of two things happened:

- the suggested scenario didn't happen.
- the scenario happened, but this is not reflected in the evidence.

And IMO, claiming the second option requires a fair bit of explanation, since it effectively says that the core principles of all science (i.e. uniformity, naturalism), which have been confirmed by centuries of experiment, theory and observation, are incorrect.

Arlanbb

SCOTT ~ What do you do with all the people that lived in Old Jericho 11,000 years ago when the town first started? They were people like you and I.