• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Dealing with Homophobia and Sexual Tension

jacquie4000

Like alot of people here I don't believe it has to do with weather a person is straight or gay or anything like that. Alot of people are raised to be modest about their bodies so we are uncomfortable in these situations. I remember when I was in middle school way back when and I was uncomfortable to take a shower with all the other girls and someone being gay was the least of my worries. Now when I went into the military I pretty much got over that feeling and it no longer bothered me I was more confident in myself as a person. The same goes for lets say my son this is the first year in wressling he had to take a shower after practice with all the other boys. He almost did not join this year because he did not wish to do that.

yuvgotmel

Radio Frequency X said:
Now, without decreasing the importance of this question, I think the separation of the sexes is a negative influence on society, increasing the sexual mystique and leading toward sexual perversions as a result of obsession with that mystique.
Interesting assessment...reminds me of the ancient Greek Spartans.

This is something that I wrote a long while back as a personal perspective on fundamentalists teachings and behaviors regarding male superiority in religion and culture (as seen in some of the rigid Southern Bible Belt Christians) in comparison with the attitudes and behaviors of the Greek Spartans.
[FONT=&quot]The Spartans (of ancient [/FONT][FONT=&quot]Greece[/FONT][FONT=&quot]), like today, viewed males as “superior.” The adult Spartans were well-known to take on the younger boys as lovers. Those bonds, supposedly, lasted throughout the male “couple’s" lifetimes. What is more interesting is how the females, in their society, had to look and behave, in order to gain the sexual interest of their husbands. On the night of their weddings, Spartan females had their heads shaven to appear like a male's hair style, plus they wore male clothing. Furthermore, and throughout the Spartan marriage (between male and female), the men could only go to their wives at night, when it was dark.[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]The Spartans had a rigid code of appearance. They preferred the fittest and most beautiful (people), which is why they killed any children that were born with deformities; and they killed many female babies as well. [/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]Upon learning of this, I compared it to homosexuality and the superiority complexes of males in "modern times." Many males, even now, consider themselves as superior. And just like the Spartans, who wanted to copulate with only the most “superior” of their species, closet homosexuality may be hiding behind male chauvinism of today. [/FONT]

Aeiralo

michel said:
You don't need help; I think your post is clear, and fair enough.

What does surprise me is that (most) of the forum members are young -ish..certainly, I am at the "top" age range.

My formative years were in the '50's - and nudity, nakedness, whatever you want to call it was embarassing. Sex was still a very Taboo subject; people didn't (generally) feel comfortable talking about sex/sexuality etc........

But you (younger members) still seem to be "affected" (to some extent) about the subjects, which really surprises me; I thought that society had come a long way since "my" day.

And I agree wholeheartedly that the problem with nakedness is - certainly on my part - more a question of insecurity about what I look like, without clothes on. (which is why I always cover up all the mirrors when I undress..........:D ):cover:

Well, even though I'm slightly overweight (yes I am, my sister, I know you're reading this.), I'm not too ashamed of my body. Heck, I just told someone today that if they gave me a thousand dollars or so, (heh, I'm expensive) I'd spend the rest of the day without trousers, and act like everything was normal.

But then again, I'm fifteen, I would do almost anything.

standing_alone

Aeiralo said:
But then again, I'm fifteen, I would do almost anything.

LOL, believe me, when you get to college, you'd be willing to go pantless for the mere cost of your textbooks (which usually runs around three hundred dollars - at least for me). :p

Mike182

Flaming Queer
standing_alone said:
LOL, believe me, when you get to college, you'd be willing to go pantless for the mere cost of your textbooks (which usually runs around three hundred dollars - at least for me). :p

jeesh, you upper-class snobs, i'm not gonna tell you what i did to get my library fine nulled... :eek:

standing_alone

Mike182 said:
jeesh, you upper-class snobs, i'm not gonna tell you what i did to get my library fine nulled... :eek:
LOL!
Don't you dare call me an upper-class snob! :p I have twenty dollars to my name right now and to be honest, I'd seriously consider attending class comlpletely nude for an entire week (among other things) to just get my room and board paid for. Ah heck, I'd do it for gas money. :D

Mercy Not Sacrifice

Radio Frequency X said:
A thread was created a couple weeks ago, asking heterosexuals what activities they would feel uncomfortable performing with a homosexual. The result of that poll was quite specific. Heterosexuals on Religious Forums overwhelmingly reported being uncomfortable showering or changing in front of homosexuals, because homosexuals are attracted to the same sex. I have made the argument that this is no different than straight women feeling uncomfortable showering or changing with straight men, for the exact same reason.

In one regard, you're on to something--that doing something (whatever thing) with a gay man is functionally the same as with a straight woman. Therefore some of us might be reluctant to do certain things with anyone whom might unwantingly become attracted to us, gay or straight.

Keep in mind, however, that women have to deal with a much greater likelihood of rape. Straight men do not. That's one reason why many women still like the idea of separate changing/locker rooms, and correct me if I'm wrong girls, but these women-only areas are considered safe havens in some regards.

Most of us guys, of course--hell, we don't care. How many of us have dreamed about co-ed locker rooms? :D

For homosexuals: Is this sentiment homophobic or irrational? If so, why? Why should straight males feel more comfortable with homosexuals than straight women feel in front of straight males?

See above.

For homosexuals: How does the social commentary regarding homosexuality make you feel and how much/how far commentary can exist before you become uncomfortable?

Obviously, I'm not qualified to answer this.