• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

"Dead" Religions

Hierophant

Is there no place to talk about "Dead" religions? Some might fall under Paganism such as Celtic Reconstructionism, Asatru, and Heathenism but others wouldn't necessarily work there. Depends on who youtalk to.

I know people who follow the Aztec religion, Hellenistic, Egyptian, and others as well. Some would argue these fall into paganism but they don't rightly so because the concepts are different. Then you get into the really old religions like Sumarian and Babylonian faiths or how about Zoroastrianism which can arguably be considered the forerunners of the Abrahamic religions that are widespread today. All of these have interesting concepts and it would allow people to understand their faith more if they could discuss these older concepts as well.

Rex

Founder
Good point Hierophant. We are still in our infancy here so we will be adding a bunch in the time to come.

Btw, have you ever read anything into Mithraism(sp)?

Adie

Rex- I don't know too much about Mithraism, but what I do know I find incredibly interesting. Apparently it was quite similiar to Christianity, and actually had a chance to become as popular as Christianity had it had more "advertisement." It was pretty much a flip of the coin to see if Christianity or Mithraism would become the world-wide spread religion that Christianity is today. (I obviously need to read more about it, but I just find it fascinating at the moment) ( :

I do agree that a Dead Religion thread would be fun. It would be a great place to compare the origins of so many of the religions of today.

Mephideus

Religions may die, but the gods live on...

To tell the truth I don't think any are really dead: other cultures borrow gods and holidays, making them their own and in a sense, giving new "life" to an older faith.

painted wolf

Grey Muzzle
My anchient history teacher in collage firmly belived that the Gods of the Sumarians were alive and well as the new "Gods of Baseball." :)

wa:do