• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Day Retreat

Secret Chief

nirvana is samsara
It's been too long since I did a day retreat but (tomorrow) Monday is hopefully going to be one (Mars is finally in conjunction with Jupiter). (Can you have a retreat at home?). It will consist of periods of sitting meditation (zazen), walking meditation (kinhin) and activity meditation (samu) - somebody has to feed the cats. I intend to fast for the 24 hours, aside from drinking water. Rock n roll.

JustGeorge

Not As Much Fun As I Look
Staff member
Premium Member
It's been too long since I did a day retreat but (tomorrow) Monday is hopefully going to be one (Mars is finally in conjunction with Jupiter). (Can you have a retreat at home?). It will consist of periods of sitting meditation (zazen), walking meditation (kinhin) and activity meditation (samu) - somebody has to feed the cats. I intend to fast for the 24 hours, aside from drinking water. Rock n roll.
Hope you have a great day!

I'll go back to torturing you Tuesday, then. :)

Secret Chief

nirvana is samsara
@Secret Chief ~ How was your retreat?
It was useful, thank you. It's an opportunity to remind myself or become aware of various matters - things around perception, thinking, speed (of doing), care, time, stillness, Buddha-nature and the rather obvious fact that cats don't know the meaning of the word "silent." :rolleyes:
Fasting for 24 hours I found to be too long, about 18 was the point at which I ate something.
I'm hopefully in a position now to repeat such days on a (vaguely) regular basis.
Do you do anything similar?

TSTS

Fasting for 24 hours I found to be too long, about 18 was the point at which I ate something
Just an FYI, If you do to it again - the physical/mental benefits of water fasting will initially be felt after 24 hours well into the 3rd day of fasting.

Its something one has dabbled in a bit our of curiosity but since I live a fairly orderly life including eating habits, it is sort of integrated into daily living.

Side note - For those struggling with weight, they will lose 1 pound a day on water fast.

Viker

Häxan
The whole rock and roll part, yeah.

SalixIncendium

अग्निविलोवनन्दः
Staff member
Premium Member
It was useful, thank you. It's an opportunity to remind myself or become aware of various matters - things around perception, thinking, speed (of doing), care, time, stillness, Buddha-nature and the rather obvious fact that cats don't know the meaning of the word "silent." :rolleyes:
Fasting for 24 hours I found to be too long, about 18 was the point at which I ate something.
I'm hopefully in a position now to repeat such days on a (vaguely) regular basis.
Do you do anything similar?
Each day, I meditate in silence 30-45 minutes after waking, bathroom stuff, and showering, and again for about 30-45 minutes an hour before bedtime. In the past couple of weeks I've taken to hiking, doing 2-4 miles on the hiking trails twice per week or more, again, in silence save the ambient noises in the area.

The only time I fast is on Mahashivaratri from sunset the evening of to sunset the evening after (it's celebrated at night in India, and I have a live stream playing during the entire celebration, which during the day in my neck of the woods).

Not sure if this is something you'd call similar or not. I've taken week retreats where I'll rent a condo on the beach and spend most of the week meditating.

Secret Chief

nirvana is samsara
Just an FYI, If you do to it again - the physical/mental benefits of water fasting will initially be felt after 24 hours well into the 3rd day of fasting.

Its something one has dabbled in a bit our of curiosity but since I live a fairly orderly life including eating habits, it is sort of integrated into daily living.

Side note - For those struggling with weight, they will lose 1 pound a day on water fast.
Out of curiosity, I did weigh myself before and after as it were. I'd lost 2.2 pounds.

Secret Chief

nirvana is samsara
Each day, I meditate in silence 30-45 minutes after waking, bathroom stuff, and showering, and again for about 30-45 minutes an hour before bedtime. In the past couple of weeks I've taken to hiking, doing 2-4 miles on the hiking trails twice per week or more, again, in silence save the ambient noises in the area.

The only time I fast is on Mahashivaratri from sunset the evening of to sunset the evening after (it's celebrated at night in India, and I have a live stream playing during the entire celebration, which during the day in my neck of the woods).

Not sure if this is something you'd call similar or not. I've taken week retreats where I'll rent a condo on the beach and spend most of the week meditating.
Sounds similar to me. :)

24 hour fast then?

JustGeorge

Not As Much Fun As I Look
Staff member
Premium Member
I've been fasting from fasting...

I can fast without much trouble. However, I find that there's a 50/50 chance that after the fast, I'll set off some disordered eating patterns for a week or two. I've decided not to, until I'm able to figure out why this happens.

This is the first Navaratri I haven't fasted.