• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

David encouraged himself?

Brickjectivity

wind and rain touch not this brain
Staff member
Premium Member
I'm wondering how David strengthens himself as mentioned in the Jewish text of I Samuel 30:6. David is threatened with stoning, so it says he encourages himself in the L-rd. Does this mean that he was able to encourage himself in isolation? He's not alone, because he's got 600 followers. Does he meditate, recite a psalm? What do you suppose he does to get encouraged? Maybe it means he prayed or perhaps it means that he talked with Abiathar. Maybe it means he gritted his teeth and pressed forward. What would you do if it were you?

I'm not Jewish, and I'm not sure this is a 'Judaism' question. I've posted the question in this section, because I want to avoid any debate between various religions. Anybody want to venture an answer? Thanks.

dantech

I'm wondering how David strengthens himself as mentioned in the Jewish text of I Samuel 30:6. David is threatened with stoning, so it says he encourages himself in the L-rd. Does this mean that he was able to encourage himself in isolation? He's not alone, because he's got 600 followers. Does he meditate, recite a psalm? What do you suppose he does to get encouraged? Maybe it means he prayed or perhaps it means that he talked with Abiathar. Maybe it means he gritted his teeth and pressed forward. What would you do if it were you?

I'm not Jewish, and I'm not sure this is a 'Judaism' question. I've posted the question in this section, because I want to avoid any debate between various religions. Anybody want to venture an answer? Thanks.

Well first of all, the word in Hebrew is וַיִּתְחַזֵּק . This means "Strengthened" as you said in the beginning of your post, but I don't know why you then started saying "encouraged".

Now, if we look at the context, in the verse before we see that David just lost both his wives, and that he is in great distress. In the verse that follows, it says that he asks God's advice on what to do.

I think the verse you are wondering about simply shows that rather than stay in distress, and panic, and perhaps give up on life after losing both his wives, that David strengthened himself [by having faith] in God, and then just went through with the rest.

Jayhawker Soule

-- untitled --
Premium Member
1 Samuel 30:6
And David was in dire straights, for the troops thought to stone him, for all the troops were embittered, every man over his sons and his daughters. And David took strength in the Lord his God.
He finds encouragement in the face of mortal despair - specifically, as the next verse explains, by calling for the oracle. In this fashion, he staves off the assault his men are contemplating by dramatically showing that they still have means of redress against the Amalekites, and that he has a special channel of communication with God.

as mentioned in the Jewish text of I Samuel 30:6. David is threatened with stoning, so it says he encourages himself in the L-rd.
In which Jewish text does it say that David "encouraged himself in the Lord"?

Brickjectivity

Staff member
Premium Member
dantech said:
Well first of all, the word in Hebrew is וַיִּתְחַזֵּק . This means "Strengthened" as you said in the beginning of your post, but I don't know why you then started saying "encouraged".

Now, if we look at the context, in the verse before we see that David just lost both his wives, and that he is in great distress. In the verse that follows, it says that he asks God's advice on what to do.

I think the verse you are wondering about simply shows that rather than stay in distress, and panic, and perhaps give up on life after losing both his wives, that David strengthened himself [by having faith] in God, and then just went through with the rest.
Good points, thanks for your time. I used 'Encouraged' because of the translations I have one uses 'Encouraged', some use 'Strengthened'. I was not sure, and also they seem similar.

Last edited:

Brickjectivity

Staff member
Premium Member
Jayhawker Soule said:
1 Samuel 30:6
And David was in dire straights, for the troops thought to stone him, for all the troops were embittered, every man over his sons and his daughters. And David took strength in the Lord his God.
He finds encouragement in the face of mortal despair - specifically, as the next verse explains, by calling for the oracle. In this fashion, he staves off the assault his men are contemplating by dramatically showing that they still have means of redress against the Amalekites, and that he has a special channel of communication with God.

I appreciate that. I see Alter has translated Samuel now.

In which Jewish text does it say that David "encouraged himself in the Lord"?
An old translation KJV used the term.

Avi1001

reform Jew humanist liberal feminist entrepreneur
So does anyone actually believe that G-d showed favor to David ? Or was David just a talented warrior ? How would a non-anthropomorphic G-d show favor to David ? Perhaps by making him a more talented warrior ?

Last edited:

Brickjectivity

Staff member
Premium Member
Avi1001 said:
So does anyone actually believe that G-d showed favor to David ? Or was David just a talented warrior ? How would a non-anthropomorphic G-d show favor to David ? Perhaps by making him a more talented warrior ?
Good question. Could it also mean a more talented diplomat?

Last edited: