• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

"Darkness to Light" - Empty Hands video

sun rise

The world is on fire
Premium Member

There are several prayers including "Asatoma Sadgamaya" prayer, Nimo Patel "semi translates" it in "hip hop" prose. It took some digging so I wonder if @mangalavara @Vinayaka @Aupmanyav @JustGeorge or someone else might have a better translation to this prayer and the others in the video.

Looking on the internet, I found various versions of the Asatoma prayer For example with another one after the "-"

Lead me from the unreal to the real - (O Lord) From (the Phenomenal World of) Unreality, make me go (i.e. Lead me) towards the Reality (of Eternal Self),
Lead me from darkness to light
. - From the Darkness (of Ignorance), make me go (i.e. Lead me) towards the Light (of Spiritual Knowledge),
Lead me from time bound consciousness to timeless state of be-ing. - From (the World of) Mortality (of Material Attachment), make me go (i.e. Lead me) towards the World of Immortality (of Self-Realization),
The Guru is Brahma, Vishnu and Shiva.
The Guru is the Supreme Absolute.
Salutations to that beloved Guru.
Om, peace, peace peace.

He also did not translate three words but I found these:

Philosophy of Shunya means that every material and spiritual entity emerges from nothingness and merges into nothingness, but this supreme nothingness is the all encompassing Brahman who is Existence-Consciousness-Bliss.

Punya (Sanskrit: पुण्य) is a word generally taken to mean 'saintly', virtue, 'holy', 'sacred', 'pure', 'good', 'meritorious', 'virtuous', 'righteous', 'just', 'auspicious', 'lucky', 'favourable', 'agreeable', 'pleasing', 'lovely', 'beautiful', 'sweet', 'fragrant', 'solemn' or 'festive', according to the context it is.

In Islam, dunyā (Arabic: دُنْيا) refers to the temporal world and its earthly concerns and possessions.

sun rise

The world is on fire
Premium Member
With a bit of typing, the English lyrics

May the love flow in my heart so the
entire universe may feel the spark of
compassion and love let this be the mark
of the beginning of the end of all the darkness

May we pray and stay and play together
May we develop in faith and be brave together

God may you stay with us forever and ever
Aand remain in our hearts for us to treasure

From the dark we move to light
To the truth from all the lies
From death to eternal life.
Yeah to eternal life.

Ram, Jesus,Mohammed, Buddha
May you give us the wisdom
To become "shunya"
From zero May We rise to develop the "punya"
Leave grace on this place this sacred "dunya"

Make me an instrument of Peace
An instrument of joy
Let me bring the light when the darkness is more
Let me be a humble servant of you Lord
When the pain is the deepest
May my compassion poor
When the judgment's deep and greed is high
Let me be the one to let go
Of the Sacred I
Let my ego dissolve
So I can serve you God
and be an instrument of Your Love, above all yeah

From death to eternal life
Yeah to eternal life yeah
To eternal life

From death to eternal life
To eternal life shant
Yeah to eternal life

You're the one you're the light
You're the love that shines bright
You're the sun you're the night
You're the light inside

SalixIncendium

अग्निविलोवनन्दः
Staff member
Premium Member
Very nice. The Pavamana mantra (Asatoma sadgamaya) is one I recite daily.

The only other song I've heard this mantra in is Navaras by Juno Reactor.

Thanks for posting this.

jes-us

There are several prayers including "Asatoma Sadgamaya" prayer, Nimo Patel "semi translates" it in "hip hop" prose. It took some digging so I wonder if @mangalavara @Vinayaka @Aupmanyav @JustGeorge or someone else might have a better translation to this prayer and the others in the video.

Looking on the internet, I found various versions of the Asatoma prayer For example with another one after the "-"

Lead me from the unreal to the real - (O Lord) From (the Phenomenal World of) Unreality, make me go (i.e. Lead me) towards the Reality (of Eternal Self),
. - From the Darkness (of Ignorance), make me go (i.e. Lead me) towards the Light (of Spiritual Knowledge),
Lead me from time bound consciousness to timeless state of be-ing. - From (the World of) Mortality (of Material Attachment), make me go (i.e. Lead me) towards the World of Immortality (of Self-Realization),
Om, peace, peace peace.

Philosophy of Shunya means that every material and spiritual entity emerges from nothingness and merges into nothingness, but this supreme nothingness is the all encompassing Brahman who is Existence-Consciousness-Bliss.

Punya (Sanskrit: पुण्य) is a word generally taken to mean 'saintly', virtue, 'holy', 'sacred', 'pure', 'good', 'meritorious', 'virtuous', 'righteous', 'just', 'auspicious', 'lucky', 'favourable', 'agreeable', 'pleasing', 'lovely', 'beautiful', 'sweet', 'fragrant', 'solemn' or 'festive', according to the context it is.

In Islam, dunyā (Arabic: دُنْيا) refers to the temporal world and its earthly concerns and possessions.
I don't know the language but the song still sounds beautiful .

Aupmanyav

Be your own guru

Om, peace, peace peace.

I will just dump the interpretations. There is no 'Lord' involved in this prayer. Upanishads are like class rooms where the teacher is analyzing things in his own way. Upanishads are not temple, church or mosque prayers where God/Gods/Goddesses are invoked. I will just stick with the literal meaning of words. If the author wanted to invoke a God, he would have mentioned it clearly. He had the command of his words. There is no 'lead me' here. The discussion would lead you to wherever it has to. It is a scholarly discourse. Interpretations are a disservice to Hindu scriptures. They distort what the author wanted to say. So, let us see what the words (of the oldest and the longest upanishad of Hinduism, Brihadaranyaka) say:

Asato ma Sat Gamaya: Not untruth, (but let us) go to truth
Tamaso ma Jyotih Gamaya: Not darkness, (but let us) go to light (of understanding, end of ignorance).
Mrityor ma Amritam Gamaya: Not death, (but let us) go to immortality.

Ma means 'no' or 'not'. It does not mean 'lead me to'. The students will themselves go to truth after the discussion. They will not be lead by anyone.

See also the words of another such invocation from other Upanishads; "Tejasvi Nau Adhitamastu ma vidvishavahai" (Taittiriya Upanishad)
(May our Study be brilliant, not giving rise to Hostility" Read Contents (Wisdom Library)
That is the spirit of Upanishads. 'OM' is a later addition.

Last edited:

River Sea

@sun rise
this supreme nothingness is the all encompassing Brahman who is Existence-Consciousness-Bliss
The fire of light is spiritual food. Spiritual life light is the purpose: an actual real purpose.
This light can think.

I used to write, "I allow light to teach me," or I could write, I allow unconditional love to teach me.

What I allow light to teach me is how to feed from light in the midst of my situations.

Last edited: