• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Darkness, emptiness, and failure brings one closer to God

Spiderman

Veteran Member
Just got done with AA.

Also went to the Mental health group.

The suffering in these people is very disturbing. No wonder they are angry at God, want to use, or want to die?

I cannot speak for them and cannot speak for you, but will speak for myself.

The darkness, the fear, the emptiness, and the inability to find peace and joy from people, places, and things, unites me to God.

I realize in that void that I can delight in God, take refuge in God, or find hope, peace, and joy in nothing at all.

Anyone else here feel closest to God, and most humble when you're most empty and miserable?

Earthling

David Henson
Just got done with AA.

Also went to the Mental health group.

The suffering in these people is very disturbing. No wonder they are angry at God, want to use, or want to die?

I cannot speak for them and cannot speak for you, but will speak for myself.

The darkness, the fear, the emptiness, and the inability to find peace and joy from people, places, and things, unites me to God.

I realize in that void that I can delight in God, take refuge in God, or find hope, peace, and joy in nothing at all.

Anyone else here feel closest to God, and most humble when you're most empty and miserable?

I can relate to that, but, honestly I don't think that it applies to me. I'm sure that's odd and your position is the more normal one, which uh . . . scares the hell out of me (;)) but I seem naturally inclined to be like a rock in the most disturbing, dark, empty places. And I've been to those places. I think that I see the best of our existence here, presently, as being as dark as it gets in a way. If I were a rich fractional reserve banker parasite living high off the hog I would then be distant from God, so, I guess, in a way, what you're saying does apply to me. I just don't see it because I'm not a rich fractional reserve banker parasite? So there you go. I've gone full circle.

Spiderman

Veteran Member
I can relate to that, but, honestly I don't think that it applies to me. I'm sure that's odd and your position is the more normal one, which uh . . . scares the hell out of me (;)) but I seem naturally inclined to be like a rock in the most disturbing, dark, empty places. And I've been to those places. I think that I see the best of our existence here, presently, as being as dark as it gets in a way. If I were a rich fractional reserve banker parasite living high off the hog I would then be distant from God, so, I guess, in a way, what you're saying does apply to me. I just don't see it because I'm not a rich fractional reserve banker parasite? So there you go. I've gone full circle.
How does one impress God, in your opinion....am asking your opinion independent of ancient writings!

Earthling

David Henson
How does one impress God, in your opinion....am asking your opinion independent of ancient writings!

I don't think we can impress God, in as much as we would relate to being impressed. I think, though . . . well you asked for me to be independent from ancient writings, so I can't reference specific examples . . . in a sense we can make an impression upon God by having integrity and fairness. This while having some real serious faults on many levels. Humility above all I think. Though, real humility.

I sometimes entertain the possibility of impressions I may personally may make upon God and I don't see him as having some monstrous contempt for me but neither do I see the exaggerated sense of unconditional love. I see myself before God as extremely humble in a very real sense.

Earthling

David Henson
Certainly, God can be impressed by his creatures, otherwise it would be boring to be God.

OK. I wouldn't argue with that. I guess I'm thinking that a being who transcends time and created the universe isn't easily impressed in a way that we could relate to.

Spiderman

Veteran Member
I don't think we can impress God, in as much as we would relate to being impressed. I think, though . . . well you asked for me to be independent from ancient writings, so I can't reference specific examples . . . in a sense we can make an impression upon God by having integrity and fairness. This while having some real serious faults on many levels. Humility above all I think. Though, real humility.

I sometimes entertain the possibility of impressions I may personally may make upon God and I don't see him as having some monstrous contempt for me but neither do I see the exaggerated sense of unconditional love. I see myself before God as extremely humble in a very real sense.
I hope you are right about humility being the thing that impresses God the most, were something to impress God.

Yes taking the place of the poor tax collector rather than the self-righteous. I think that is what impresses God

Earthling

David Henson
I hope you are right about humility being the thing that impresses God the most, were something to impress God.

Yes taking the place of the poor tax collector rather than the self-righteous. I think that is what impresses God

Well, I'm an example of a dichotomy of sorts in that regard. I often come across as being extremely arrogant and in a way I guess I can be, but it's rather like a flare of extreme anger to a guy that's pretty laid back generally speaking. Generally speaking I'm humble but with at least the occasional appearance of being terribly arrogant. We are complex beings. you and I and the human race.

Spiderman

Veteran Member
Well, I'm an example of a dichotomy of sorts in that regard. I often come across as being extremely arrogant and in a way I guess I can be, but it's rather like a flare of extreme anger to a guy that's pretty laid back generally speaking. Generally speaking I'm humble but with at least the occasional appearance of being terribly arrogant. We are complex beings. you and I and the human race.
Regarding your anger outbursts. I've heard you call Israelis pigs before.

Don't you think most of them are just trying to live their lives and keep their Hebrew identity without harming other people?

Earthling

David Henson
Regarding your anger outbursts. I've heard you call Israelis pigs before.

Don't you think most of them are just trying to live their lives and keep their Hebrew identity without harming other people?

I think that the context in which I said that wasn't indicative to all modern day Israelis. It was a reference to the U.S., U.K. and Israeli military current situation specifically in Palestine or the 911 attacks, I don't remember which.

I think that some of them are as you describe them above, certainly, but a lot of them are really bad, violent, racist people due to their environment and nationalism. I don't hate Jews as is often mistakenly said of me, I hate certain Jews that want to take over the world and make the Goyim their slaves. You can't be accused of racism or antisemitism when cheering Jesus chasing the money changers out of the temple. Both Jesus and the money changers were Jewish. I don't hate Jews having money or being creative and entrepreneurial and successful and living their lives and keeping their identity so long as they don't harm other people or are extremely deceptive in doing so.

I'm very fair minded and even handed in my criticisms, but often Israelis are very sensitive to criticism and they are unfairly placed upon an unrealistic pedestal and so any criticism of them is often dismissed as racist, antisemitic.

osgart

Nothing my eye, Something for sure
In many ways i have a God, but i really do not believe God exists. God is the Supreme being, ideal in every way. So i pursued those ideals as to what ideal life would really look like. I pursued God only when i was most miserable, and down.

Anyone if they have the humility and interest can see for themselves what the ideals of life really are. I know of many wealthy people who are as blind as bats to it though.

Like marley says to scrooge, "Benevolence was my business", that story does say a lot about what matters.

Crying in my soup aint going to change the world though.

If anything my failures have taught me to never deceive myself. I think its true that a broken heart learns humility. Broken heart is a sign of change in a person. I suppose one can go two ways bitter, or better.

Perhaps its true, the world goes for false pride, and God chooses the humble. There is always that choice, run with the temporal motives of the world, or seek the eternal motives of God. No one can have their feet in both. Its either nihilism and vain glory, or love, and charity.

I think that battle rages on whether God exists or not. False pride laughs in the face of charity, and is quick to judge or spite. Humility leans toward mercy and charity knowing their importance, and appreciating their values.

You can make war,or peace in this world.