• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

"Dark Buddhism"

Straw Dog

Is there a dark side to Buddhism?

Consider this... In Star Wars, the Jedi do not speak of the light side vs the dark side or even about conquering the dark side. They speak of balance in the Force. In reality, there are no sides. The "Dark Side" actually represents delusion and ignorance.

LuisDantas

Aura of atheification
Premium Member
Never quite got that idea of "dark sides", myself. Not sure there is anything to it. If there is, it sure needs to be explained better, at least to me.

crossfire

LHP Mercuræn Feminist Heretic Bully ☿
Premium Member
What do you mean by Dark side of Buddhism?
"This is dukkha. This is how dukkha arises. This is how dukkha ends. This is the practice leading to the ending of dukkha."

If you don't examine your dark side/dukkha, how can you expect to intelligently resolve it?

LuisDantas

Aura of atheification
Premium Member
I will take your word for it. The description does not suggest any form of darkness to me. But then again, that is somewhat expected, since I do not understand the concept.

LuisDantas

Aura of atheification
Premium Member
Sometimes it seems that the distinction between "light" and "dark" traits comes from Freud and Jung and involves the degree of acceptance and pride associated with those traits.

But I am really not sure.

Rick O'Shez

Irishman bouncing off walls
Sometimes it seems that the distinction between "light" and "dark" traits comes from Freud and Jung and involves the degree of acceptance and pride associated with those traits.
But I am really not sure.

"Dark Side" reminds me of Star Wars. ;)

LuisDantas

Aura of atheification
Premium Member
"Dark Side" reminds me of Star Wars. ;)
Which is one major diffusor of the concept, and also a great example as it is unclear at best.

The fiction just can't decide whether light and dark are unhealth extremes in need of reconciliatin or else primal forces that must fight each other to the end.