• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Currently Reading...

onmybelief

I am currently readng the Hellbound Heart by Clive Barker. It is pretty good book. Not on my top 10 list for all time favorites but still I like it. (The movie Hellraiser, one of my favorite movies, was based on this book)

I usually try to keep two books going at one time: one fiction, one non-fiction. So right now I'm checking out Catch-22 by Joseph Heller, and Holy Blood, Holy Grail by Michael Baigent, Richard Leigh, and Henry Lincoln. (The book that Dan Brown based his entire Da Vinci Code off of). :cigar:

Bastet

Vile Stove-Toucher
Queen of the Damned, by Anne Rice. I'm actually enjoying each book in the series more than the previous (this is book 3). I wasn't too sure about this one to begin with, as it is told by many narrators...but it's working for me. :p I'm about 2/3 of the way through it, I plan to curl up and read some more this afternoon.

d.

_______
i just finished reading cathedral by raymond carver. an altogether excellent book.

Matt88

The Teriffic Adventures of Daniel Ellis, The Union Guide. By Daniel Ellis, the Union Guide. I am also reading "Surely You're Joking, Mr Fenynman" By Mr. Feynman

finalfrogo

ikitikitembo said:
I usually try to keep two books going at one time: one fiction, one non-fiction. So right now I'm checking out Catch-22 by Joseph Heller, and Holy Blood, Holy Grail by Michael Baigent, Richard Leigh, and Henry Lincoln. (The book that Dan Brown based his entire Da Vinci Code off of). :cigar:

I'm reading The Jesus Papers, a book by one of the authors of Holy Blood, Holy Grail, which I plan to read this summer.

finalfrogo

dawny0826 said:
The Da Vinci Code by Dan Brown (It's so, so...)

Yeah. It's a good thriller, and I liked the plot, but I don't like the author's style. Maybe you've noticed that he doesn't vary elements like sentence structure too well. :( I want to read Angels and Demons, which I've heard is better.

Kavi

Currently, I'm reading the whole Wayfarer's Redemption series. I also have an Amelia Atwater Rhodes book handy when I need a break from the other ones; very talented author!
I also will read the Da Vinci Code, but procrastination is a common trait! :beach:

dawny0826

Mother Heathen
Bastet said:
Queen of the Damned, by Anne Rice. I'm actually enjoying each book in the series more than the previous (this is book 3). I wasn't too sure about this one to begin with, as it is told by many narrators...but it's working for me. :p I'm about 2/3 of the way through it, I plan to curl up and read some more this afternoon.

I don't know if you've read the books on the Mayfair Witches and the Taltos but they are AWESOME. I think the Witching Hour is one of the best books that I've ever read and Queen of the Damned and Blood and Gold are some of my favorites.

dawny0826

Mother Heathen
finalfrogo said:
Yeah. It's a good thriller, and I liked the plot, but I don't like the author's style. Maybe you've noticed that he doesn't vary elements like sentence structure too well. :( I want to read Angels and Demons, which I've heard is better.

I've wanted to read it for a while...before I see the movie...to make my own judgements about it...I have purposefully tried to ignore comments on the book and the movie. (That's kind of hard.:D )

I'm not too particularly thrilled with his writing style...I think it'll be interesting overall but I already have a hunch TOO much is being made over this book.

And I too have heard that Angels and Demons is better. If you read it, let me know how it went.

finalfrogo

dawny0826 said:
I've wanted to read it for a while...before I see the movie...to make my own judgements about it...I have purposefully tried to ignore comments on the book and the movie. (That's kind of hard.:D )
Much criticism has been dished out, but the book is still entertaining.

dawny0826 said:
I already have a hunch TOO much is being made over this book.
You're hunch is accurate :D

dawny0826 said:
And I too have heard that Angels and Demons is better. If you read it, let me know how it went.
I might not read it for awhile. I'm getting tired of all the hype over the DaVinci Code, Dan Brown, etcetera, so I'll leave it for a later date.

Bastet

Vile Stove-Toucher
dawny0826 said:
I don't know if you've read the books on the Mayfair Witches and the Taltos but they are AWESOME. I think the Witching Hour is one of the best books that I've ever read and Queen of the Damned and Blood and Gold are some of my favorites.
Nup, I haven't. I'm starting with the Vampire Chronicles and working my way through those first - although QTR did recommend I read The Witching Hour before I read Merrick. My problem is that I want to read them all in order, but I want to buy secondhand rather than brand new books. They're not that easy to find in the secondhand bookshops around here, people tend to snatch them up as soon as they come in. I'd say it'll take me a while to get through them all (although I have the 4th book already, along with a couple not from the Chronicles to keep me busy if I'm stuck for something to read while I hunt a particular book down). Meh, half the fun is in the chase. :p

nutshell

Well, lets see. I have a few books going (all sitting on my nightstand as I type this):

Dean Koontz's One Door Away From Heaven

Shakespeare the Movie II

Horror Movie Reader

Horror: The Film Reader

and

Childe Roland to the Dark Tower Came (a poem)

standing_alone

I'm currently reading (well, haven't had much time for reading lately) Maxims of George Washington. I haven't read any of it in the last week and I'm thinking of starting some work of classic literature to read as well as this, since quotations aren't the most "thrilling" thing to read.

maggie2

I'm reading 'The Jesus Papers' too. I'm finding it not as good as I would have liked. I'm also reading 'Imperial Ambitions' by Noam Chomsky. It's an excellent book and I wish every American would read it. I just finished reading 'The Holy Place' by Lincoln, who was one of the three Holy Blood Holy Grail authors. The Holy Place is an intriguing book and I found it very interesting.

Scarlett Wampus

psychonaut
MCSE ChrisP? You going to do it or thinking about it?

I finished reading The Unbearable Lightness of Being yesterday. It was a great novel. Throughout reading the book I was a little concerned about the psychospiritual well-being of the author, but wow, masterfully and brilliantly written.

I've just started Singularity Sky, a sci-fi book. Pretty good.

If anyone is interested in trying something new and hasn't come across Patrick O'Brian before the Aubrey Maturin series of books he wrote are stunning. :yes:

Buttercup

Veteran Member
Alyssa being the considerate kitty kat that she is, sent me a copy of The Invisible Man by Ralph Ellison which I am going to start reading tonight!