• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Curiosity

Feathers in Hair

World's Tallest Hobbit
Okay, okay, I've been mulling over whether to ask this question for a couple a days now, in worry that it might offend someone. By now, though, I figure most of you know me well enough to know that I would never ask something with the intent of hurting anyone, so here goes!

I must admit, I'm kind of 'jealous', seeing the interesting Christian Wicca questions that come up and wondering if a non-Christian pagan is allowed to answer. I guess the thing I'm most curious about is why the tradition is termed Christian Wiccan, as opposed to Christian Pagan. Is there something specific in Wicca that people find is more condusive to blending it with Christianity? Is it just that Wicca (out of the various pagan branches) has recieved more press, so that more people are familiar with it?

jeffrey

†ßig Dog†
Tough questions! I'll let Mike, Fluffy or Rebecca answer that, but as far as answering, PLEASE do! Your insight is greatly appreciated! I know you have helped Rebecca greatly! :D

jeffrey

†ßig Dog†
I might be wrong, but I believe some Pagans do not want any association with Christianity, were Wicca is less defined. Wicca is a form of Paganism, but with CW, it puts Jesus as a God.

michel

Administrator Emeritus
Staff member
FeathersinHair said:
Okay, okay, I've been mulling over whether to ask this question for a couple a days now, in worry that it might offend someone. By now, though, I figure most of you know me well enough to know that I would never ask something with the intent of hurting anyone, so here goes!

I must admit, I'm kind of 'jealous', seeing the interesting Christian Wicca questions that come up and wondering if a non-Christian pagan is allowed to answer. I guess the thing I'm most curious about is why the tradition is termed Christian Wiccan, as opposed to Christian Pagan. Is there something specific in Wicca that people find is more condusive to blending it with Christianity? Is it just that Wicca (out of the various pagan branches) has recieved more press, so that more people are familiar with it?

Feathers, you offend ? You wouldn't know how. I remember that trick you once pulled about being in a supermarket with your Mum.....do you remember that?

Good question; one I have been asking myself. I must admit, I feel Christian Pagan would more accurately describe me, perhaps even Christian mystic....heck, I don't know!:D

Evenstar

The Wicked Christian
Well you can answer all my questions Feathers, you have helped me so much, and I love to read your replies too.
I am going to ask a question now..... What is the difference between a Wiccan and a Pagan? :eek:.​
I have many questions to ask, but never seem to know where to put them.

Feathers in Hair

World's Tallest Hobbit
Actually, I guess that's one of the driving points of my curiosity, since I've never been certain as to what makes a belief exclusively 'Wiccan', as opposed to 'Pagan'. I'm aware that Wicca is a branch of Paganism (or Neo-paganism, if one is a stickler). So I guess you could see Wicca as a 'denomination' of Paganism, just as Lutheranism, Presbyterian and others are ones of Christianity. So, pretty much, I was wondering if those Christians who feel a call to also be on the pagan path are drawn to this specific denomination for a reason.

I've seen different attitudes toward Christianity in all forms of paganism, so I'm not sure if the Wiccans' attitude is any different, as a whole. I do know that if anyone should understand the importance of being able to make one's own path, it should be pagans, though! (Meaning also that if anyone tries giving you trouble for your path, let me know so that I can whomp them over the head with a tuna!)

Evenstar

The Wicked Christian
When I started my path many moons ago :eek: I called myself a witch.
I changed it to wiccan as a witch freaks people out, wiccan sounds nicer, calmer.​
I can still follow my planned path as such, but I agree wiccan is a branch of a Neo Pagan. My Christian bit is to follow Jesus teachings, just trying to love all, and I believe he walked the earth.... hmmm does this make sense lol. :D

michel

Administrator Emeritus
Staff member
FeathersinHair said:
Actually, I guess that's one of the driving points of my curiosity, since I've never been certain as to what makes a belief exclusively 'Wiccan', as opposed to 'Pagan'. I'm aware that Wicca is a branch of Paganism (or Neo-paganism, if one is a stickler). So I guess you could see Wicca as a 'denomination' of Paganism, just as Lutheranism, Presbyterian and others are ones of Christianity. So, pretty much, I was wondering if those Christians who feel a call to also be on the pagan path are drawn to this specific denomination for a reason.

I've seen different attitudes toward Christianity in all forms of paganism, so I'm not sure if the Wiccans' attitude is any different, as a whole. I do know that if anyone should understand the importance of being able to make one's own path, it should be pagans, though! (Meaning also that if anyone tries giving you trouble for your path, let me know so that I can whomp them over the head with a tuna!)
I think you have hit the nail on the head there, with the comment 'what is the difference between pagan and Wiccan' I guess I am going to have to find out.

Mike182

Flaming Queer
nice question feathers, you deffinatley didn't offend :D

i don't even think the term "wicca" covers the pagan aspect of my beliefs/practices, but i think it helps define it a bit more for others

anyway, by heritage, i should be celtic *shakes fist at history* Knockout

Mike182

Flaming Queer
have we answerd your question feathers? please, if you have any others, don't feel silly for asking, im always happy to talk to you *hugs*

mike