• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Crucifixes in public and governmental buildings

Estro Felino

Believer in free will
Premium Member
In Bavaria , the most Catholic Bundesland in Germany, a new law states that crucifixes are compulsory in all the places of the Public Administration, including schools and courthouses.
http://www.euronews.com/2018/04/27/compulsory-crucifixes-in-bavaria-spark-controversy

I find this law anti-secular and intolerable...since, in my country, the UAAR, an atheist association of relevant prestige, is doing anything to propose a law that forbids any religious symbol in the places of the Public Administration.

Crucifix in a Court Room

1427993263-d515a291ddcf536b3baa1c170241aa4b.jpg

Last edited:

Sanzbir

Eh, it's just like vaccination laws. When ya got a vampire infestation ya need everyone to pull their weight and inoculate themselves.

At least, I assume that's why they made this law.

Twilight Hue

Twilight, not bright nor dark, good nor bad.
Eh, it's just like vaccination laws. When ya got a vampire infestation ya need everyone to pull their weight and inoculate themselves.

At least, I assume that's why they made this law.
It is Bavaria. I assume there is a box of stakes nearby where you break glass in case of vampire.

Phantasman

The cross began as a catholic symbol of church. Christ use of the term was persecution and death (fear).

Seeing a cross does nothing for me, since it is misused by the followers of such.

GoodbyeDave

In a sense it's objectionable: it can be taken as telling non-Christians that they don't quite belong. But it's not a big deal and no worse than the intolerant atheists who want such things outlawed. And the complaints are often very one-sided: the same "liberals" who denounce the crucifixes also objected to the Swiss ban on minarets.

HonestJoe

In a sense it's objectionable: it can be taken as telling non-Christians that they don't quite belong. But it's not a big deal and no worse than the intolerant atheists who want such things outlawed. And the complaints are often very one-sided: the same "liberals" who denounce the crucifixes also objected to the Swiss ban on minarets.
I suspect few atheists want crucifixes outlawed and I doubt they’d be able to make a rational argument in favour of that proposal anyway. Many secularists (who may or may not be religious) are opposed to religious symbols mandated and promoted by state authorities as is the case here and they (we!) would object regardless of the religions or symbols involved.

Things like the ban on minarets isn’t about preventing the state from building them (indeed, I suspect state organisations could get an exception) but banning private citizens from doing so. That’d be the equivalent of banning crucifies on churches, which would be ridiculous and strongly opposed across the board (even by many secularists and atheists).

Estro Felino

Believer in free will
Premium Member

I just think that a visible , ostensible religious symbol is not compatible with the secularism of the state and of a governmental institution.

You can see a great contradiction in that picture I posted.

I didn't say I approved — on the contrary. But there are far more important problems in society, even in Bavaria, to deal with!

Btw the UAAR here (Unione Atei Agnostici Razionalisti) fights for the burqa ban too...so it can't be accused of double standards.

Last edited:

GoodbyeDave

I didn't say I approved — on the contrary. But there are far more important problems in society, even in Bavaria, to deal with!

Samantha Rinne

Resident Genderfluid Writer/Artist

9-10ths_Penguin

1/10 Subway Stalinist
Premium Member
Banning minarets on mosques isn't quite the same as banning crucifixes from courtrooms. Nobody in Switzerland was suggesting minarets on government buildings.

Estro Felino

Believer in free will
Premium Member
Italy, Journalist literally "crucified" (forgive the pun) for wearing a rosary-necklace with a cross.
Atheist associations say a journalist giving the news, cannot wear a cross on national TV, supposed to represent the secular state

marina-nalesso_1908743.jpg

9-10ths_Penguin

1/10 Subway Stalinist
Premium Member
In a sense it's objectionable: it can be taken as telling non-Christians that they don't quite belong. But it's not a big deal and no worse than the intolerant atheists who want such things outlawed.
So they’re objectionable, but doing something about it is also objectionable? You seem confused.

And the complaints are often very one-sided: the same "liberals" who denounce the crucifixes also objected to the Swiss ban on minarets.
You seem extra confused: the ban on minarets was about minarets on mosques. Nobody is calling for a ban on crucifixes in churches, and if anyone did ever propose minarets on government buildings, you can bet those liberals you misunderstand would oppose them, too.

Church-state separation and freedom of expression are separate issues.

GoodbyeDave

So they’re objectionable, but doing something about it is also objectionable? You seem confused.
I said that I'm no fan of either side in the argument. What part of that don't you understand? But I'm probably confused in bothering to answer some-one I tried to put on ignore, until I discovered that staff have the unavoidability of death and taxes.