• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Credit card's newest trick: 79.9 percent interest

Shadow Wolf

Certified People sTabber
HOLY ****!!!:cover::thud: Pardon my language but that is just outrageous.
I'm glad I no longer have any credit cards.

Gunfingers

Happiness Incarnate
I'll add that one to the list of credit cards i do not and will never have. Also included on this list is every other credit card!

Twilight Hue

Twilight, not bright nor dark, good nor bad.
HOLY ****!!!:cover::thud: Pardon my language but that is just outrageous.
I'm glad I no longer have any credit cards.

I got rid of mine save for one (for now) "trusted" card from my bank. Soon as the math changes, its gone.

Twilight Hue

Twilight, not bright nor dark, good nor bad.
What I would like to know is when will various institutions (if ever) start making some of those manipulative practices that banks and financial organizations use with their cards outright illegal.

Draka

Wonder Woman
This is why the only card I have is the Visa I currently have...a debit card ;) If I can't pay for something now, I just don't buy it. What a novel idea.

Kilgore Trout

Misanthropic Humanist
I got one of these when I had no credit history to build my credit rating. I kept it for about a year, and my rating had built up enough that I could get a normal credit card. It's a decent option to build credit, for those who have a bad, or no credit, history. It's not like you have to use it.

Unfortunately, a lot of things are based on your credit score, so simply deciding to not have credit isn't really the best option. I now have an extremely high credit score and a sizeable amount of available credit. Then again, I never carry a balance, and don't view credit cards as free money.

Shadow Wolf

Certified People sTabber
I got rid of mine save for one (for now) "trusted" card from my bank. Soon as the math changes, its gone.
I haven't had one in 4 years now, since I was 19. I thought about getting one to rebuild my credit, but I'm not a point in life where I need credit. I don't even want a bank loan to cover my copay and deductible for a surgery I need because I'm wanting to put an end to my debt.

Metalic Wings

Never had a credit card.

I probably will in the future. But right now I go by the whole "If I don't have the money now, I can't buy it." And I need to have a good amount in savings to start with. :yes:

Credit cards make me sick (or credit card companies)

enchanted_one1975

Resident Lycanthrope
The more credit card companies try to be in charge the more people will just default. It's unsecured debt and with many people out of work and struggling there is nothing to sue for anyway. The banks are having all this trouble because they keep shooting themselves in the foot.

Shadow Wolf

Certified People sTabber
Never had a credit card.

I probably will in the future. But right now I go by the whole "If I don't have the money now, I can't buy it." And I need to have a good amount in savings to start with. :yes:

The last job I had working for an inventory company, we would car pool to a store, and we took turns driving since we did get paid to drive. I was about to get a credit card to get gas when I drove, and then planned on paying it off every other week when I got paid. Then I got a new job and decided against it.

freethinker44

I thought it was a crime in the US to charge more than 32.9%.

I thought it was too, in fact I actually remember learning that in school, said it was to bring down loan sharks because without a cap on interest, loansharking is technically not a crime.

EDIT: Just googled it and looks like the education system failed me. A bill was introduced but was voted against by the senate.

Last edited:

Kathryn

It was on fire when I laid down on it.
FRB: Press Release--Federal Reserve approves rules that will better protect credit card users--December 18, 2008

Good article on new regulations on credit cards, starting July 2010.

For those trying to build up credit scores, here are some tips:

1. You NEED some credit history of actual debt incurred and paid off - paying your phone bill on time each month doesn't build credit, though NOT paying it will destroy your credit!

2. Your credit report shows how well you manage your POTENTIAL for indebtedness. For instance, if you have two credit cards with an available credit limit of $5000 each, and you have a $1000 balance on each one, this will give a better rating than one credit card with an available limit of $5000 and a balance of $2000.

3. When you pay off a card, don't cancel it. Just keep it in a drawer and don't use it. This will show up on your credit report as available credit that you are managing well.

4. There are better ways to build credit than using a credit card!

Here is one example of a smart way to build credit:

Save up $1000.

Go to the bank and open a $1000 CD for, say, 18 months.

Then apply for a deposit - secured loan of $1000, secured by that CD. Most banks will only charge about 3 percent interest (above the rate that your CD is earning) on a deposit secured loan.

Put the $1000 in a savings account at that bank.

Set up an automatic payment on the loan, from that savings account (remember to add in the interest you will pay!).

Sit back and watch your credit build - at a cost of only 3 percent interest. At the end of the the payoff, you will still have your $1000 CD, plus the interest it has earned. Voila!

Terrywoodenpic

Oldest Heretic
Mostly I use a debit card...
However in the UK a credit card purchase gives a lot of extra protection where a supplier or product fails.
I always pay the balance in full.