• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Creationists: Evolution is No More Unlikely than Embryo Development

MSizer

MSizer
They Don't Make Homo Sapiens Like They Used To | Human Evolution | DISCOVER Magazine

"The new genetic adaptations, some 2,000 in total, are not limited to the well-recognized differences among ethnic groups in superficial traits such as skin and eye color. The mutations relate to the brain, the digestive system, life span, immunity to pathogens, sperm production, and bones—in short, virtually every aspect of our functioning.
Many of these DNA variants are unique to their continent of origin, with provocative implications. “It is likely that human races are evolving away from each other,” says University of Utah anthropologist Henry Harpending, who coauthored a major paper on recent human evolution. “We are getting less alike, not merging into a single mixed humanity.”
Harpending theorizes that the attitudes and customs that distinguish today’s humans from those of the past may be more than just cultural, as historians have widely assumed. “We aren’t the same as people even a thousand or two thousand years ago,” he says. “Almost every trait you look at is under strong genetic influence.”

Gunfingers

Happiness Incarnate
In the 10th century an Arabic statesmen, Ahmed Ibn Fadlan, traveled with the Rus (now commonly known as the Vikings) for a short period. It doesn't mention it on wikipedia, but one of the things he mentioned in his writings was the height of the Rus. They were giants who stood a head taller than he. How tall were they? About 5' 6". The average height in Sweden today is almost six feet.

That's right, people are getting taller. It's been happening for at least a thousand years. Now admittedly in some of these cases it's just better diet where people in the middle ages would be partially stunted from malnutrition, but the prevalence and degree make it clear that humanity has changed over the last thousand years, just in that small sense. Is it hard to believe that other changes could occur as well over time and that eventually we will be something wholly different than we are now?

OmarKhayyam

I assert they show one more thing. That belief in these myths is actually corrosive of human reason. That just the decision to believe - that act alone - starts a process that slowly but inevitably weakens the normal reasoning process. And as evidence I cite the whole Creationist/Muslim menagerie of arguments. Can anyone look at what is advanced by these believers and not wonder if they truly can reason their way out of a paper bag?

MSizer

MSizer
So MoF, you've utterly failed in every ToE vs. Creation thread so far. Don't you see how all you're doing is moving the goal post? Each time you claim something is false, we completely dissect your critique and expose the naked fallacy, and then you just keep blundering around like Wile E. Coyote with some other ridiculous tactic. Isn't there ever a point where you think to yourself "gee, maybe I'm wrong"?

Man of Faith

So MoF, you've utterly failed in every ToE vs. Creation thread so far. Don't you see how all you're doing is moving the goal post? Each time you claim something is false, we completely dissect your critique and expose the naked fallacy, and then you just keep blundering around like Wile E. Coyote with some other ridiculous tactic. Isn't there ever a point where you think to yourself "gee, maybe I'm wrong"?

LOL, so you are smarter than a fifth grader, congradulations.

Man of Faith

No, I never consider myself to be wrong and I will tell you why, I know God personally.

MSizer

MSizer
No, I never consider myself to be wrong and I will tell you why, I know God personally.

Wow. Well, that explains a lot. So you scored %100 in all classes all the way through school? You've never lost a bet? Everything you've ever suspected has come to pass?

So you know better than the pope, the archbishop of caneterbury, and every other religious person? Either there are lots of people who are never wrong, or you are wrong. Because surely you have differences of opinion about god and religion than other practicers, so you can't be always right, or else they are too (but they disagree with you, which is mutually exclusive IF P not A, then A not P sorta thing)

Last edited:

tumbleweed41

Resident Liberal Hippie
Did God tell you that he created the laws of the universe in order to break them?
Did God tell you that he would plant false evidence of evolution?
Did God tell you he would give man the ability to reason and make new discoveries, but they are to ignore these gifts?
Did God tell you to remain in ignorance?

MSizer

MSizer

You know, that may be the most arrogant claim I've come accross on RF so far. You are a deacon, correct? If so, do the members of your congregation buy into your claim about never being wrong? I mean, isn't that a little on the verge of comparing yourself to god? Isn't he the only omnicient? Your claim is a little too close to self-proclaimed omnicience IMO to not be considered sinful.

Man of Faith

You know, that may be the most arrogant claim I've come accross on RF so far. You are a deacon, correct? If so, do the members of your congregation buy into your claim about never being wrong? I mean, isn't that a little on the verge of comparing yourself to god? Isn't he the only omnicient? Your claim is a little too close to self-proclaimed omnicience IMO to not be considered sinful.

I'm talking about wrong on the evolution vs creation debate, sure I might be wrong with some of the evidence I present but I don't believe I am wrong on the big picture of are we here by natural processes or divine creation. And when I teach Sunday School in my church like I did last Sunday and destroy evolution, nobody argues they just nod their heads in agreement. It is obvious to others not just to myself that we are created.

tumbleweed41

Resident Liberal Hippie
And when I teach Sunday School in my church like I did last Sunday and destroy evolution, nobody argues they just nod their heads in agreement. It is obvious to others not just to myself that we are created.

How easy was it to "destroy evolution" in Sunday school?
Why have you failed so miserably here?

And too once taught Sunday school and led a Youth Group. And I regret to say now that every word I taught was taken without question.

Man of Faith

How easy was it to "destroy evolution" in Sunday school?
Why have you failed so miserably here?

And too once taught Sunday school and led a Youth Group. And I regret to say now that every word I taught was taken without question.

You mean kind of like when Richard Dawkins speaks to evolutionists?

tumbleweed41

Resident Liberal Hippie
You mean kind of like when Richard Dawkins speaks to evolutionists?
Strawman-but in answer...

Truthfully, I have never read any of his work. What I have read and studied is actual peer reviewed papers on biological science. Along with scientific journals. I also research and find confirmation in anthropology and physics.
But you avoided the questions.

• How easy was it to "destroy evolution" in Sunday school?
  • Why have you failed so miserably here?

ragordon168

I'm talking about wrong on the evolution vs creation debate, sure I might be wrong with some of the evidence I present but I don't believe I am wrong on the big picture of are we here by natural processes or divine creation. And when I teach Sunday School in my church like I did last Sunday and destroy evolution, nobody argues they just nod their heads in agreement. It is obvious to others not just to myself that we are created.

and did any of these adults or children raise an argument/different opinion?

of course not as they are ignaorant to the workings of ToE and as you are the teacher they believe you have done the research and know what your talking about.

all you need to do is twist evidence and omit important details to suit your needs.

p.s people nod along when they have NO IDEA what the heck you are talking about.

OmarKhayyam

Ladies and Gentlemen, let me introduce you to a true believer. For all those who argued recently that such persons and such thinking did NOT exist and was but a cruel and hateful caricature of religious faith . . . here is revealed a living example. Exhibit A for your examination and enlightenment.

It ain't rare. It ain't a cartoon. It ain't an exaggeration. And it damn sure ain't funny.:(

There is nothing so frightening as a man who thinks he cannot be wrong. And in the current context such men who also have access to modern weaponry.