• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Countries banning of kosher meats are forcing "expulsion" of Jews

Subduction Zone

Veteran Member
Not according to everyone. There is a range of understanding within Jewish law about vegetarianism. Some say it is preferable, some say that it is forbidden. Some say it is acceptable. Some say it isn't.
I am seriously interested, how does one justify that a person must eat meat? I am not saying that those are your beliefs, but I am curious.

rosends

My my my, you do love to project. I am not the one that decides. But yes, there are clear parts of the Bible or Torah that are mythical.
So you don't decide but some are clearly mythical. Got it.

Again not mine, but I never claimed that the presuppositions are objective. I said that it results in an objectively superior morality, something that you will fail at since a literal interpretation of the Torah results in a rather terrible morality that no one follows.
So because you don't understand how Jewish law and textual understanding works you come to false conclusions. You should probably start by trying to learn instead of assuming you know. Phrases like "literal interpretation of the Torah" betray a severely limited exposure to Jewish thinking. Come on over to the Orthodox DIR and ask questions.
You would have to justify that claim. It fails when tested.
That is certainly your position, yes.

I never said that the premises that I follow were everyone's. They just lead to a superior morality.
Again, presuming the morality and its superiority. Have fun with that.

rosends

I am seriously interested, how does one justify that a person must eat meat? I am not saying that those are your beliefs, but I am curious.
If there are commandments which demand that people eat meat (as in, for example the Paschal sacrifice in which all Jews are commanded to participate) then some people say that this shows that not eating meat cannot be the expected behavior.

Ellen Brown

No one is forcing them to give up meat. If one's superstitious, oops II mean religious, beliefs say that one needs to unnecessarily torture the animals that one eats, then that is their fault.

I have never noticed blood in the meat I buy. And cutting an animal's throat will cause some blood to drain, but there will still be a significant amount in it when its heart stops.

If one is worried about blood one could do the final cleansing again at home.

I've seen steaks soaked in salt water to get rid of the blood.

The Kilted Heathen

Crow FreyjasmaðR
I am no expert but as I said in the Bedouin camp it was so quick with the head pulled back so far as to break all the vertebra instantly.
Doubt.jpg

If they're wanting to break the neck, a strong cut with a heavy blade to the back of the neck would be better. Beheading the animal, essentially. I don't care what you claim to have seen, no one is going to be able to break a cows neck so easily by just pulling back on the head really really fast. Neither will slitting the throat aid in that.

Ellen Brown

Are you proposing that there should be no regulations on how animals are slaughtered for food so anyone can choose to do it however they personally prefer or are you proposing that we keep the existing laws and regulations but grant special exemptions for Muslims and Jews to break them? If it is the latter, do you extend this principle to any other laws or regulations and any other religious religions or beliefs?

I propose only that people have the freedom to live according to their beliefs.

This subject started out as inane, and has grown tiresome. I am finished with it.

Subduction Zone

Veteran Member
So you don't decide but some are clearly mythical. Got it.

Correct, the evidence proves it beyond a reasonable doubt.
So because you don't understand how Jewish law and textual understanding works you come to false conclusions. You should probably start by trying to learn instead of assuming you know. Phrases like "literal interpretation of the Torah" betray a severely limited exposure to Jewish thinking. Come on over to the Orthodox DIR and ask questions.

Now that is a non sequitur. And I am sorry, but it is a DIR. You appear to be very literal in aspects of your interpretation.

That is certainly your position, yes.

And that of any rational thinker.

Again, presuming the morality and its superiority. Have fun with that.

No, we could leave it up for judgement. You have to go with your literal interpretation and I will base mine on rational thought.

Subduction Zone

Veteran Member
I propose only that people have the freedom to live according to their beliefs.

This subject started out as inane, and has grown tiresome. I am finished with it.
The problem is when one's beliefs affect others or other beings. I am not going to call kosher butchery barbaric, but let's take an extreme example. If my religion includes torturing a dog to death is that okay as long as I buy the dog?

sooda

Veteran Member
View attachment 29126

If they're wanting to break the neck, a strong cut with a heavy blade to the back of the neck would be better. Beheading the animal, essentially. I don't care what you claim to have seen, no one is going to be able to break a cows neck so easily by just pulling back on the head really really fast. Neither will slitting the throat aid in that.

You ever spent an evening in a Bedu camp in Arabia as a dinner guest? where did you get the idea they raise cows in arabia?

Last edited:

Subduction Zone

Veteran Member
If there are commandments which demand that people eat meat (as in, for example the Paschal sacrifice in which all Jews are commanded to participate) then some people say that this shows that not eating meat cannot be the expected behavior.

Thanks for a clear example. I was thinking about that after I posted.

The Kilted Heathen

Crow FreyjasmaðR
Even with a goat, that's going to be very hard. Their bones are quite dense, to allow them to butt heads as they do.

Again, sooda, I don't care what you claim to have seen. Unless you can show some pretty strong science behind it, it's not as easy as you make it seem. It would involve forcing muscle, tendons, and then the bones themselves in a way that wouldn't so much break the neck with that motion, but tear - not sever - the spinal cord and those muscles and tendons. Not an easy thing to do, no matter how fast and hard you do it.

Subduction Zone

Veteran Member
This might need to be taken down. The video shows what happens to a cow when it is stunned, the results are instantaneous, and what happens in halal butchery. I have seen other videos and they are not much better:

I am sorry, but we can do much better than that today. There is no need for such suffering.

EDIT: I am thinking now that I have to agree with @viole

Wandering Monk

No one is forcing them to give up meat. If one's superstitious, oops II mean religious, beliefs say that one needs to unnecessarily torture the animals that one eats, then that is their fault.

I have never noticed blood in the meat I buy. And cutting an animal's throat will cause some blood to drain, but there will still be a significant amount in it when its heart stops.

If one is worried about blood one could do the final cleansing again at home.

They do. The meat is soaked then salted to draw out any remaining blood.

Wandering Monk

To be perfectly graphic... The throat was slashed deeply and the head was pulled back completely .. It appeared to be instant to me.. but I have nothing to compare it to except "hog killing" on my grandparent's farm.

Last edited:

Wandering Monk

Also the reason for doing it appears to be bogus. It is supposedly done to get rid of the blood from flesh. This method gets rid of less than half of an animal's blood. It will die before then. Humans did after they have lost a third to forty percent of their blood. Other .animals would not be terribly different:

Breaking Point: How Much Blood Can The Human Body Lose?

After the heart has pumped out as much as possible, the animal is hung so that most of the rest drains by gravity. Even after it is all cut and packaged, it is still treated in the home to remove as much blood as possible.

Wandering Monk

Banning kosher meat should be the rule in all civilised countries as it is unnecessarily cruel to livestock.

In what way. The animal passes out and dies. This is less cruel than having a spike driven into its head.

Kosher slaughtering knives are sharpened after nearly every slaughter. The blade has be be sharp enough and without nicks so that when it is drawn across a fingernail

If you want to read up on kosher slaughter and some of the controversy, here:

Shechita - Wikipedia