• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Could Eve be your hero?

Ðanisty

robtex said:
In the Genesis account of Adam and Eve, Eve bites from the forbidden fruit and gains wisdom and knoweledge at the expense of being outted from the perfect Garden of Edan.

As an atheist, I don't view this as a historical event, however in my mytholocial understanding of the story Eve is my hero. She took control of her life accepted full responsiblity for the consequences and went outside of her comfort zone, aka Edan, in exchange for freedom of expression and freedom to live life on her own terms.

I see Eve who saw her choices as,

1) eat the fruit knowing life will forever more be full of variables and challenges but you will guide you life

2) don't eat the fruit and live a blissful existance in a smaller mini-world composed for you by God.

I admire the biblical Eve for taking chances and dealing with the unknown and living her life on her terms and in her own way. :clap

What is your interepretation of the story of Adam and Eve?
Fantastic! you're getting frubals for this one. Yes, I can see Eve as a hero and a great role model here, but the true hero for me is Lucifer in the form of the snake.

Katzpur said:
Congratulations. You have just expressed the LDS perspective on Mother Eve's decision to eat the forbidden fruit.
Perhaps this is one reason Becky keeps seeing so many similarities in the LDS and Luciferianism. We've talked about it a great deal, actually.

This is pretty cool. We've just made a connection between Gnostics, LDS, and Luciferians. :D

gnostic

The Lost One
Buttons is right.

Eve is the heroine in the Gnosticism.

Dansity said:
Yes, I can see Eve as a hero and a great role model here, but the true hero for me is Lucifer in the form of the snake.
And more astonishing is that the serpent is not Satan; the snake was Jesus (or to be more precise, the aeon "Christ", because some Gnostics distinguish Christ from the human Jesus, even they are one and the same). The Gnostic version of Satan is the Creator or Ruler, thus Yaldabaoth, but this Creator is not the Original Parent, nor the most powerful among the aeons.

Gnostic authors have a knack for turning the Genesis on its head.

royol

Katzpur said:
Yes, we do. I can hardly wait to see where this answer leads me.

Your statement is specific enough and requires no answer.
I think everyone can see where you stand.

Bishka

Veteran Member
royol said:
Your statement is specific enough and requires no answer.
I think everyone can see where you stand.

Yes they can, and how is that so bad to see where someone stands?

Why is there a problem with people believing in Adam and Eve? How does this affect you?

royol

beckysoup61 said:
Yes they can, and how is that so bad to see where someone stands?

Why is there a problem with people believing in Adam and Eve? How does this affect you?

It doesn't affect me, not in the slightest, if that's what you want to believe it is your choice,
but it tells people a lot about you all, I am not allowed to elaborate any further and give you my real opinion so we will leave it at that.

I have just finished reading about the Book of Mormon, I will say no more.

Ðanisty

gnostic said:
And more astonishing is that the serpent is not Satan; the snake was Jesus (or to be more precise, the aeon "Christ", because some Gnostics distinguish Christ from the human Jesus, even they are one and the same). The Gnostic version of Satan is the Creator or Ruler, thus Yaldabaoth, but this Creator is not the Original Parent, nor the most powerful among the aeons.
And what may be even more astonishing to some is that Luciferians also do not believe the snake is Satan. Most of us see Lucifer and Satan as different and most of us already connect Lucifer to Christ...kind of like two sides of a coin or like brothers, etc. Both Lucifer and Christ have been referred to as the morningstar. There are more similarities than many would like to believe.

MysticSang'ha

Big Squishy Hugger
Premium Member
For all the reasons already stated, I will concur with many by saying that Eve is definitely my hero.

Peace,
Mystic

Katzpur

Not your average Mormon
royol said:
I have just finished reading about the Book of Mormon, I will say no more.
Why in the world would an atheist waste his time reading the Book of Mormon?

royol

Katzpur said:
Why in the world would an atheist waste his time reading the Book of Mormon?

An Atheist would not waste their time reading the book of Mormon.
I said I had read "about" the book of Mormon, that was more than enough for me.

Ðanisty

Reading various religious texts is not a waste of time, no matter what your personal beliefs are. I know a lot of atheists who have read more religious texts than most theists. Learning is never a waste of time, as far as I'm concerned. Katzpur, I'm sure you didn't mean to, but your statement almost implies that The Book of Mormon doesn't offer anything of value to people who don't follow your faith. I've found value in almost everything I've picked up and read.

A

angellous_evangellous

robtex said:
In the Genesis account of Adam and Eve, Eve bites from the forbidden fruit and gains wisdom and knoweledge at the expense of being outted from the perfect Garden of Edan.

As an atheist, I don't view this as a historical event, however in my mytholocial understanding of the story Eve is my hero. She took control of her life accepted full responsiblity for the consequences and went outside of her comfort zone, aka Edan, in exchange for freedom of expression and freedom to live life on her own terms.

I see Eve who saw her choices as,

1) eat the fruit knowing life will forever more be full of variables and challenges but you will guide you life

2) don't eat the fruit and live a blissful existance in a smaller mini-world composed for you by God.

I admire the biblical Eve for taking chances and dealing with the unknown and living her life on her terms and in her own way. :clap

What is your interepretation of the story of Adam and Eve?

I'd go with # 2.

The cost of the presence of evil is too great. I'd rather be in a world of only good choices and outcomes. I can live without wars, hunger, genocide, selfishness and guile. We're talking about Pandora's box.

I can't imagine for the life of me why people would congradulate Eve for bringing evil into the world.

Ðanisty

angellous_evangellous said:
I can't imagine for the life of me why people would congradulate Eve for bringing evil into the world.
I can't imagine for the life of me why people would want to live in a world with no choices, no mistakes, no experiences gained, etc. How could anyone feel joy if they never knew sorrow? How could anyone feel grateful, if they've never done without? Such an existence could hardly be calling living. It would be like being a puppet.

A

angellous_evangellous

Ðanisty said:
I can't imagine for the life of me why people would want to live in a world with no choices, no mistakes, no experiences gained, etc. How could anyone feel joy if they never knew sorrow? How could anyone feel grateful, if they've never done without? Such an existence could hardly be calling living. It would be like being a puppet.

Simple.

We would choose good from good. We can be perfectly happy and joyful all the time without sorrow, being happy and joyful with onle the good. Evil does not define good, but good is good in itself. Such an existence would be living well, being perfect examples of who humanity should be.

Ðanisty

angellous_evangellous said:
Simple.

We would choose good from good. We can be perfectly happy and joyful all the time without sorrow, being happy and joyful with onle the good. Evil does not define good, but good is good in itself. Such an existence would be living well, being perfect examples of who humanity should be.
Reminds me of how slaves were not allowed to learn to read because if they did, they may find themselves more dissatisfied with their current situation...not a life I'd like to have.

A

angellous_evangellous

Ðanisty said:
Reminds me of how slaves were not allowed to learn to read because if they did, they may find themselves more dissatisfied with their current situation...not a life I'd like to have.

The two things simply aren't related. :eek:

jorylore

Interesting! Yet, how is it the same people that claim Eve as a hero embarking on the great adventure of life, complain about the problems in the world today and even blame God for not snapping his fingers and fixing it all. Next time your hear a story about a child being killed by abuse, starvation, or a drunk driver, think of the great adventure 'mother Eve' has exposed us too.

That whole thing about taking control of her life and being able to face the consequences of her descision, ha! :cover: If she wanted to jump into the fire then so be it. It would have been ok with me had she been the only one who suffered. But she pulled the rest of mankind down with her. And that's the crapper. She's dead and we suffer. What an a adventure! :sarcastic

Since the thread was focused on Eve then I'm throwing most of the blame her way. The Bible does, however, put most of the blame on Adam. (Romans 5:12)

Ðanisty

Interesting! Yet, how is it the same people that claim Eve as a hero embarking on the great adventure of life, complain about the problems in the world today and even blame God for not snapping his fingers and fixing it all.
Have you got something to substantiate this claim?