• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Could Censorship Be Optional

The Sum of Awe

Brought to you by the moment that spacetime began.
Not important but just curious.

Why is profanity filter here not optional? I don't know about you but my mouth smells like potty at times and the stars * aka toilet cleaner just don't cut it and it'd be nice to know sometimes if someone is going to have sexual relations with themselves or if they are going to have brown pants.

I have no statistical proof but I'm willing to bet there are more people that aren't offended by swears than those that are. To make it optional should satisfy both parties.

Of course a foreseeable problem would be cussing in the DIRs and it would be just as offensive to read "Your argument is bull****" and the uncensored version of that. But couldn't that be covered by Rule 3.1
1) Content (whether words or images) that most people would find needlessly offensive, especially when such content is posted just to get a rise out of somebody and/or is not part of a reasoned argument.

as well as Rule 5
The public content areas of RF must maintain the equivalent of a PG-content rating. This means no profanity, sexually suggestive/explicit content (except in the Eros Room*), or violent/disturbing content. Automated filters catch most, but not all, profane language; members are responsible for ensuring their posts are profanity-free. Use of disturbing content may be acceptable if put in spoilers and it is relevant to the topic of discussion, but gratuitous content is never allowed and spoilered content is still subject to moderation.

That could limit the profanity to non-attacking use.

And if it's still a concern, I had an idea in mind to avoid censoring members to not get offended by stars in place of non-attacking profanity in a reply:

To have the post hidden like it would when coming across the post of a person you blocked where the member could click to see it if they wish, with a spoiler warning that there is profane word content, and if clicked to reveal the words would still be in stars.

And so the person responding can know if their reply would be hidden or not, have it marked whether the member has censorship ON or OFF by their name.

(Dang, I had another, simpler idea, but it rolled out of my head. I might think of it later)

Of course censorship would be ON by default.

I understand this might just be too complicated to be worth doing but... just a thought.

Valjean

Veteran Member
Premium Member
Those most likely to need censoring would be the ones most likely to forego the filters.

What I find amusing is the fact that the censorship is set only for American English. Rude words from other dialects get right through, and innocent, everyday expressions that include words that would be rude in American English are censored.

bobhikes

Nondetermined
Premium Member
It would be to much work for me, I would have to start blocking people. I personally think profanity is the lazy persons way and show's lack of education. I also type at home and don't want my kids seeing it.

Deathbydefault

Apistevist Asexual Atheist
I rather like swearing myself.
If you can use the right words with appropriate timing, it gives your argument a lot more feeling.
Of course you don't need to swear to do that, but it's a nice and concise method.

"I don't like you, stay away from me."
or
"Go **** yourself."

Which got the point across faster?

lovesong

:D
Premium Member
Just having a setting that could let you turn the censorship on or off all together is one of the best ideas I've heard on here in a while. Doing member-specific stuff would get tedious I'm sure, but allowing us to choose for ourselves if we want it all censored or all not censored would be amazing.

Skwim

Veteran Member
It would be to much work for me, I would have to start blocking people. I personally think profanity is the lazy persons way and show's lack of education. I also type at home and don't want my kids seeing it.
I remember my mother laying this old chestnut on me when I was a kid. "Swearing is for people who don't know how to use their words." And it was just as foolish back then. Thing is, as upsetting as curse words may be they've long been a valued part of language, some people even elevating their use to an art form.

the-art-of-swearing.jpg.pagespeed.ce.x375GYqZCz.jpg
Swearing really can be a beautiful thing as this collection of elegant expletives demonstrates. Calligrapher, sign writer and illustrator of the highest distinction Lord Dunsby presents over 40 of his favourite insults, all rendered beautifully in his faultless style. Wankers, tossers, dickheads, douchebags, and a whole lot more are expertly recreated in this uproarious and frivolous collection - it really does put the art of swearing into a new perspective!
source

Rated Parental Guidence: contains honest to god swear words
You've been warned.

Last edited:

bobhikes

Nondetermined
Premium Member
I remember my mother laying this old chestnut on me when I was a kid. "Swearing is for people who don't know how to use their words." And it was just as foolish back then. Thing is, as upsetting as curse words may be they've long been a valued part of language, some people even elevating their use to an art form.

Swearing really can be a beautiful thing as this collection of elegant expletives demonstrates. Calligrapher, sign writer and illustrator of the highest distinction Lord Dunsby presents over 40 of his favourite insults, all rendered beautifully in his faultless style. Wankers, tossers, dickheads, douchebags, and a whole lot more are expertly recreated in this uproarious and frivolous collection - it really does put the art of swearing into a new perspective!
source

You've been warned.
I would agree, and if used to express yourself in anger at ones self, surprise or extreme emotion they are fine. If used to insult, frequently or as an interrupt like, like or aaa they are being improperly used and in a debate forum where people express ideas and thoughts one should be able to find the actual proper words and not have to revert to slang. Profanity in my opinion has no place in a debate. A person using it is trying to distract either the audience or the debater and not providing added incite. Use one of Lord Dunsby favorite words to bring value to debate that is not about slang words.

siti

A person using it is trying to distract either the audience or the debater and not providing added incite.
Sorry Bob but that's priceless! I think you meant 'insight' but swearing is indeed often used to 'incite' rather than provide 'insight'. I wanted to use a profanity myself a few minutes ago for emphasis (and humour) but after reading this thread I went back and deleted it myself (being new I don't want to start a war with the mods just yet) - and my post is now a watered down version because it lacks the punch I was aiming for. Debate is not only about ideas - it is about the effective use of rhetorical devices - and sometimes what most consider profanity is really quite effective. By the same token - I wouldn't want my grandchildren reading some of my posts (unfiltered) - so I'm happy to have the filter - everyone still knows what the word is anyway, but is it OK to rely on that and type whatever the **** I want - or will the mods still come after me even if all my expletives are deleted by the filter?

Last edited:

SomeRandom

Still learning to be wise
Staff member
Premium Member

source

You've been warned.
I, for one, am quite fond of using Shakespearean English to insult people without them realizing it.
Thy vile canker-blossom'd countenance curdles milk and sours beer.
And I swear like a goddamned Sailor. Yeah, my vocabulary is so very stunted. Stunted indeed!