• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Cosmogony into mythology

Caladan

Agnostic Pantheist
Some of the best known Greek philosophers mocked the beliefs of the masses in the gods, some of them faced trials for declaring that the sun is not a god.
Some of the best known Greek writers masqueraded the gods with a humorous twist to show their human imagery.

Just as past prominent pantheons that were considered the Cosmogony of the day turned into the popular mythologies of the modern world, will the prominent religious Cosmogonies of today will turn in the near future to the fascinating mythologies of the near future? or are we bound to cling to child-like views of reality that settle our primal fears?

Last edited:

Caladan

Agnostic Pantheist
Everything has a natural explanation. The moon is not a god, but a great rock, and the sun a hot rock.

~Anaxagoras

Halcyon

Lord of the Badgers
Just as past prominent pantheons that were considered the Cosmogony of the day turned into the popular mythologies of the modern world, will the prominent religious Cosmogonies of today will turn in the near future to the fascinating mythologies of the near future? or are we bound to cling to child-like views of reality that settle our primal fears?
I imagine it'll be more like in Dune, where the world religions syncretise to create new ones rather than becoming ancient fiction.

tomspug

Absorbant
I don't look around and see the belief of the masses in religion. I see it in rampant consumeristic optimism. We are turning our philosophies into gods and philosophers into myths.

You can see it already as the religions begin to meld into a sort of "one-religion-fits-all" manner. Where RELIGION isn't so much about what you believe in but believing in IDEAS and PHILOSOPHIES. When we cling to these things, our human nature leads us into finding gods for them, usually prominent historical figures or leaders of our time.