• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Conversion

Shaiva

Shaiva
Hi, i have been looking into hinduism for a while now and i have fallen in love with Shaktism. And i was wondering could i convert?

For the last two years of my life i have gone in and out of trance states. Some times ill be in one for hours at a time. When i think of Shakti or Kali it intensifies the trance and i feel a deep overwelming connection to the universe, or shakti.

thank you for your answers and i was also wondering if there were any converts to hinduism here. Thanks again!

I am not a convert unfortunately for you :)

But as far as I know, there is no real ritual or ceremony... Just worship the God of your choice with a pure heart and love, that is all that is required :)

Metempsychosis

Reincarnation of 'Anti-religion'
Hinduism is not Christianity or Islam .There is nothing like conversion to Hinduism.The whole concept of conversion is wrong.:sorry1:Better stay in native religion and practice hinduism ,nothing wrong.

If u need rituals for conversion, i tell u hinduism has never been devoid of rituals.

Last edited by a moderator:

Shaiva

Shaiva
I have heard though that some hindus dont accept followers, is this true? I have also heard that some dont allow white people, me, into their temples, is this really the case?

I have heard though that some hindus dont accept followers, is this true? I have also heard that some dont allow white people, me, into their temples, is this really the case?
I know there are some, but I have been to a few mandirs around the world, and on a few occasions I have seen white people.

In my local mandir, people get excited when white people come in. A Mandir is normally not a multi-culturally diverse place. You would be an AMAZING addition to a mandir ;)

Shaiva

Shaiva
wow, thanks Don that makes me feel so much better. Like i said above i liked Shaktism, but I also like Shaivism. In Hinduism can you fuse to sects?

Riverwolf

Amateur Rambler / Proud Ergi
Premium Member
wow, thanks Don that makes me feel so much better. Like i said above i liked Shaktism, but I also like Shaivism. In Hinduism can you fuse to sects?

Don't see why not.

I pray at a local Siva-Murugan temple, but I love chanting (okay, singing) the Maha Mantra. (Hare Krishna...)

I recently adapted Hinduism, and am currently testing the waters, as it were. (I haven't dived in fully just yet.) But I also listen to what the Buddha taught, as well as what the Dao De Jing teaches, as well as Kong Fu-Zi (Confucius), Jesus, etc...

Hinduism is really wonderful that way; with some exception, there doesn't really seem to be a "right" way to do things, unless you're fully part of a specific tradition.

Onkara

You might find Panchadeva of interest as it consists of the worship of one to five deities. You could also consider a shrine at home.

Here is the link to Wikipedia: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Panchadeva

Alas I have no experience but I would be pleased to hear how you get on out of interest. I would like to visit a Mandir to understand more.

Metempsychosis

Reincarnation of 'Anti-religion'

Nothing like that.These are social barriers.There is no need for temples to practice Hinduism.There is no problem when u mix two sects,because they are already one.

Madhuri

RF Goddess
Staff member
Premium Member
Hi, i have been looking into hinduism for a while now and i have fallen in love with Shaktism. And i was wondering could i convert?

For the last two years of my life i have gone in and out of trance states. Some times ill be in one for hours at a time. When i think of Shakti or Kali it intensifies the trance and i feel a deep overwelming connection to the universe, or shakti.

thank you for your answers and i was also wondering if there were any converts to hinduism here. Thanks again!

Hi Hunter, nice to 'meet' you :)
When it comes to hinduism, there's no formal conversion process. What you believe is what you believe. You are a free agent, nd can practice your spirituality the way that suits you. You can go to one temple but disagree with its dogma. The best thing o do is follow your heart and use your brain. Don't get sucked into rules or dogmas just because you've decided to join a particular group. Be your own person and seek truth. You are on a unique spiritual journey and as long as you have the desire for God, He/She will guide you. Whatever you feel in your heart, follow that.

In Hinduism, you can do whatever you like. It is as simple as that.

I go the Swaminarayan BAPS mandirs. They are wonnderful, but not to everyones taste :) Try out some different mandirs and see which ones you like more.