• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Contradictions

EyeofOdin

I've noticed that a lot of Hellenic Gods have contradicting aspects. Examples being that Apollo is god of healing but also god of plague, Artemis is goddess of childbirth but also goddess of miscarriages and stillborn children and Ares is god of war and bravery but can be seen running away from battle often.

What's the point of these contradictions? Does it add to the complexity of your gods? Or does it just extend the deities' sphere of influence?

Quintessence

Consults with Trees
Staff member
Premium Member
"Contradictions" in Pagan gods are commonplace, not just in the Hellenic pantheon. I put that word in quotes, because personally, I don't see any contradictions. Why wouldn't a goddess who deals with childbirth govern all aspects of that phenomena, whether it is a successful birth or a failed one? Why wouldn't a god who deals with battlefield affairs govern all aspects of that phenomena, whether it is valor or cowardice? Why wouldn't a god who knows how to heal a body not know how to kill one also? I really don't see any of this as contradictory. :shrug:

I don't see them as contradictions but just two sides of the same coin. If you're good at maths, you can use that skill in different ways, if you're good at music you can use that skill in different ways too. It's the same with them, they govern multiple aspects of the same thing as the person above me said. Sometimes you'll even see multiple deities associated with similar domains of influence and a deity having more than one domain. To me this just adds to the complexity of the religion and tells us a lot about its development over time and in different places as well.

My two cents for what they're worth.