• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Contentment from the inside out

Fireside_Hindu

Jai Lakshmi Maa
Namaste All,

I have been thinking a lot about the nature of contentment and how to achieve it in the manner that most Eastern Philosophies describe.

We are told that true happiness and contentment must emerge from within, rather than in pursuit of material things. There is also the often quoted phrase, "Be the change/person/experience you wish to be/become/have".

It's a nice thought and it certainly feels like the more healthy approach, but what are the practical steps to realizing this contentment from within? How? How do you stop wanting those things that you want - especially when not getting them makes you miserable. What if what we want involves the behavior or actions of others? Surely we cannot force change on others, so what changes need to take place within ourselves to let go of that need?

On a personal note: I have realized recently that I've been filling up my schedule to the bursting point, thinking that doing more will leave me feeling more content/fulfilled, but in reality, I'm just busier, more tired and stressed. I've taken the first step and committed to saying "no" more often, but I sense there is an underlying dissatisfaction that lead to the impulse in the first place and I feel it needs to be addressed and I think it relates to this inner contentment idea.

George-ananda

Advaita Vedanta, Theosophy, Spiritualism
Premium Member
To me, contentment comes from the realization that we already have everything we need to be in peace and bliss with our lives. It's just a matter then of quieting the noisy mind to feel that contentment. Try taking a deep breath and saying 'I am Content. No changes are required beyond right thought'.

Aupmanyav

Be your own guru
"Yaḥ sarvatra an abhisnehah, tat tat prāpya śubha aśubham;
na abhinandati na dveṣṭi, tasya prajñā pratiṣṭhitā." BG 2.57

SYNONYMS
yaḥ — one who; sarvatra — everywhere; anabhisnehaḥ — without affection; tat — that; tat — that; prāpya — achieving; śubha — good; aśubham — evil; na — never; abhinandati — praises; na — never; dveṣṭi — envies; tasya — his; prajñā — perfect knowledge; pratiṣṭhitā — fixed.

TRANSLATION
One who is unaffected by whatever good or evil he may obtain everywhere, neither praising it nor despising it, is firmly fixed in perfect knowledge.

Shantanu

Namaste All,

I have been thinking a lot about the nature of contentment and how to achieve it in the manner that most Eastern Philosophies describe.

We are told that true happiness and contentment must emerge from within, rather than in pursuit of material things. There is also the often quoted phrase, "Be the change/person/experience you wish to be/become/have".

It's a nice thought and it certainly feels like the more healthy approach, but what are the practical steps to realizing this contentment from within? How? How do you stop wanting those things that you want - especially when not getting them makes you miserable. What if what we want involves the behavior or actions of others? Surely we cannot force change on others, so what changes need to take place within ourselves to let go of that need?

On a personal note: I have realized recently that I've been filling up my schedule to the bursting point, thinking that doing more will leave me feeling more content/fulfilled, but in reality, I'm just busier, more tired and stressed. I've taken the first step and committed to saying "no" more often, but I sense there is an underlying dissatisfaction that lead to the impulse in the first place and I feel it needs to be addressed and I think it relates to this inner contentment idea.
Could it be that contentment comes from having a totally detached way of life: detached from the fruits/results of ones actions, detached from suffering and enjoyment that life brings, detached from ideas such as God, and that takes one towards moksha or liberation? Contentment is just a consequence of detachment, surely?

Shantanu

To me, contentment comes from the realization that we already have everything we need to be in peace and bliss with our lives. It's just a matter then of quieting the noisy mind to feel that contentment. Try taking a deep breath and saying 'I am Content. No changes are required beyond right thought'.
Should we not strive to make our lives better from having things that make us comfortable and learning what is true and what is false so that the right path of living emerges?

Shantanu

"Yaḥ sarvatra an abhisnehah, tat tat prāpya śubha aśubham;
na abhinandati na dveṣṭi, tasya prajñā pratiṣṭhitā." BG 2.57

SYNONYMS
yaḥ — one who; sarvatra — everywhere; anabhisnehaḥ — without affection; tat — that; tat — that; prāpya — achieving; śubha — good; aśubham — evil; na — never; abhinandati — praises; na — never; dveṣṭi — envies; tasya — his; prajñā — perfect knowledge; pratiṣṭhitā — fixed.

TRANSLATION
One who is unaffected by whatever good or evil he may obtain everywhere, neither praising it nor despising it, is firmly fixed in perfect knowledge.
Basically what you are alluding to (correct me if I am wrong) is if one has knowledge one has contentment.

Aupmanyav

Be your own guru
.. detached from suffering and enjoyment that life brings, detached from ideas such as God, and that takes one towards moksha or liberation? Contentment is just a consequence of detachment, surely?
Being an atheist I would not comment on God and Moksha, but it is not necessary to leave anything. Enjoy what comes your way, but do not become addicted to it.
Should we not strive to make our lives better from having things that make us comfortable ..
Sure do that, but are you attached to the results? Will it hurt you if you do not achieve your goal? If you are attached, then that is the beginning of sorrow. And things can make you comfortable only to some extent. Beyond that one needs contentment. There is no end to desires.
Basically what you are alluding to (correct me if I am wrong) is if one has knowledge one has contentment.
That is right. If a person does not understand the meaning and value of contentment, then the person will surely miss the bus.

Last edited:

Shantanu

Being an atheist I would not comment on God and Moksha, but it is not necessary to leave anything. Enjoy what comes your way, but do not become addicted to it.
In satya-advaita one goes with the flow, always doing whatever is necessary to raise truth to the surface. However, I am a very strong theist who has benefitted from knowledge and wisdom imparted by God that has charted my path in life. It is slightly different from the feeling of attachment and detachment. I am attached to my goals, namely to counter evil and to seek perfect knowledge. This attitude is something that God supports in my honest view. Doing so therefore gives me total contentment because I know that I am doing the right thing with my life rather than simply watch the world go by and engage in pointless activities.

Last edited:

Vinayaka

devotee
Premium Member
Namaste All,

Insightful, self-reflective, as always. It reminded me of one of my Guru's simpler affirmations: "I'm all right right now." I still use it on occasion. But with any affirmation, you have to feel it too.

I think worry is the opposite of contentment, and also that some people just seem more naturally inclined to have a more relaxed view of life. One thing they do is lower the expectations on themselves, but of course that takes practice too. So instead of a 5 course meal for guests, serve something simpler. That sort of thing. Of course it really helps to be self-reflective like you are too, to know when to cut back, which people to avoid becoming friends with, and all that.

Best wishes in getting more contentment in your life.

George-ananda

Premium Member
Should we not strive to make our lives better from having things that make us comfortable and learning what is true and what is false so that the right path of living emerges?
I'm not completely sure I follow you but my key point was, we require no changes to be content. Right thought has us content internally whatever the external situations. Now, contentment does not mean to stop acting in the world, but we can always act from a place of internal contentment.

Shantanu

I'm not completely sure I follow you but my key point was, we require no changes to be content. Right thought has us content internally whatever the external situations. Now, contentment does not mean to stop acting in the world, but we can always act from a place of internal contentment.
What I was implying is never be content with what you are, always look to improve your self, especially through knowledge acquisition.

George-ananda

Premium Member
What I was implying is never be content with what you are, always look to improve your self, especially through knowledge acquisition.
Ah, I understand you better now. My answer really doesn't disagree with what you are saying. I would put it that we can be content and at peace NOW with knowing we are on a continual growth process to full Realization.

Shantanu

Ah, I understand you better now. My answer really doesn't disagree with what you are saying. I would put it that we can be content and at peace NOW with knowing we are on a continual growth process to full Realization.
I have never stopped learning, but one thing I am absolutely sure about is that one learns from satya-advaita or truth accommodation. That is essentially saying what you are saying to be a contented human being but to stay on the growth path. So that part of our respective philosophies are clearly the same.

But you remain a traditional advaitist and I am a theistic advatist. So who has gone further in the path to full Realisation, you or me given that they are so different conceptions of reality. Does it even matter if both of us are satya-advaitist by the above definition?

George-ananda

Premium Member
I have never stopped learning, but one thing I am absolutely sure about is that one learns from satya-advaita or truth accommodation. That is essentially saying what you are saying to be a contented human being but to stay on the growth path. So that part of our respective philosophies are clearly the same.
We are in basic agreement here.
But you remain a traditional advaitist and I am a theistic advatist. So who has gone further in the path to full Realisation, you or me given that they are so different conceptions of reality. Does it even matter if both of us are satya-advaitist by the above definition?
I would be curious to hear your short definition of 'theistic advaita'. But here on the ground I can't see how much importance the difference actually makes. These things are at a level of abstraction beyond our day-to-day spiritual growth.

Shantanu

I'm interested but am not clear. Is it similar to what some would call Bahkti (devotional) Yoga?
He (God) can send thoughts to one's mind that are highly protective when one is in danger. He can also warn you of dangers. I have experienced this through the devotional yoga of total surrender to God.