• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Content anticreationist

True or False?

• True

Votes: 6 33.3%
  • False

Votes: 10 55.6%
  • Don't Know

Votes: 2 11.1%

• Total voters

Quiddity

UndertheInfluenceofGiants
I'd be interested in hearing who thinks the following statement is true:

Most anticreationists would be content to let creationists believe as they wish and not make an issue of it.

~Victor

Jayhawker Soule

-- untitled --
Premium Member
If "believe as they wish" excludes such things as pushing Creationism/ID in the schools, I would be "willing" - not "content". I can't speak for "anticreationists" in general.

Sunstone

De Diablo Del Fora
Premium Member
I'm in agreement with Deut. The main thing for me is that creationism/ID is not pushed in the schools as a scientific theory. In the absence of that, I really don't care what people believe.

Quiddity

Deut. 10:19 said:
If "believe as they wish" excludes such things as pushing Creationism/ID in the schools, I would be "willing" - not "content". I can't speak for "anticreationists" in general.
By "willing" you mean what? Is your sport included in that?

~Victor

Faint

I can't speak for other anticreationists either, but for my part, I don't like meme-complexes that damage society and limit human potential. So even if the creationists weren't seriously pushing their agenda, I doubt I could be content to let their infection spread unchecked.

Jayhawker Soule

-- untitled --
Premium Member
Victor said:
By "willing" you mean what?
I mean that I do not go out of my way to engage creationists in their homes, churches, mosques, and temples, and would be more than willing to 'let creationists believe as they wish and not make an issue of it". But I would not be content with the thought of their children being brought up in such ignorance.

Victor said:
Is your sport included in that?
I haven't a clue what you ment by that.

Quiddity

Faint said:
I can't speak for other anticreationists either, but for my part, I don't like meme-complexes that damage society and limit human potential. So even if the creationists weren't seriously pushing their agenda, I doubt I could be content to let their infection spread unchecked.
Of course, your a Hedonist. It may directly tamper with your quest for finding pleasure. Being content is something you constanly seek at the expense of other things. It is to be expected that you wouldn't like it.

~Victor

Quiddity

I mean that I do not go out of my way to engage creationists in their homes, churches, mosques, and temples, and would be more than willing to 'let creationists believe as they wish and not make an issue of it". But I would not be content with the thought of their children being brought up with such ignorance.
I haven't a clue what you ment by that.
Did you not say once that this is just a sport for you? Or did I misunderstand you?

~Victor

Faint

Victor said:
Of course, your a Hedonist. It may directly tamper with your quest for finding pleasure. Being content is something you constanly seek at the expense of other things. It is to be expected that you wouldn't like it.

~Victor
Are you implying that I seek contentment at the expense of other things? I hope not, because there are few things more boring than contentment. I wouldn't seek it--I'm too busy trying to get more out of life. I leave contentment that to the heavenly couch potatoes.

Quiddity

Faint said:
Are you implying that I seek contentment at the expense of other things? I hope not, because there are few things more boring than contentment. I wouldn't seek it--I'm too busy trying to get more out of life. I leave contentment that to the heavenly couch potatoes.
Tomatoe or Tomato?
He's content in a couch. You are content searching for pleasure.

~Victor

Victor-

Victor said:
Most anticreationists would be content to let creationists believe as they wish and not make an issue of it.
I can't speak for the other 49% of Americans who accept that humans evolved from hominid ancestors, but I personally agree with Deut. I firmly believe that people have the right to believe what they want, but that doesn't mean I have to be thrilled about it when people choose to deny the facts.

Of course, when you say "creationist" I'm assuming you mean those theists who deny the well-established fact that all species (including humans) descended from common ancestors, not just anyone who believes in God or gods.

Fluffy

A fool
I fully support a person's right to believe in creationism if they so choose. I don't view their rejection of empirical facts disturbing or harmful to others in this particular scenario. However, agendas such as a push to effectively redefine science along with the underlying mentality of rejecting both empiricism and rationalism could be a serious negative influence and I do have a problem if and when these things arise.

Ormiston

Victor said:
I'd be interested in hearing who thinks the following statement is true:

~Victor
I voted 'false'. Can we afford to be? Are christians content with our children going to a school in which christian beliefs and morals are excluded? Are christians content with our children thinking that homosexuals are no better or worse than straight people? Are christians content with schools limiting themselves to teaching science and not religious dogma? How can anyone afford to be content when lobbyists are constantly trying to shape our legislature to benefit the God referenced in the Pledge of Allegiance? I'm not content.

Fatmop

I voted 'false'. Can we afford to be? Are christians content with our children going to a school in which christian beliefs and morals are excluded? Are christians content with our children thinking that homosexuals are no better or worse than straight people? Are christians content with schools limiting themselves to teaching science and not religious dogma? How can anyone afford to be content when lobbyists are constantly trying to shape our legislature to benefit the God referenced in the Pledge of Allegiance? I'm not content.
ditto.

When I first pulled up the page, it said I could not vote in this poll. I was shocked! It was like Victor had excluded me, or I didn't have a high enough frubal count or something!

Then I realized I wasn't logged in.

Quiddity

No, I did not.
If I remember correctly you even made a comment about your grandson cheating when you were playing soccer with him. That was the comment that followed.

~Victor

Jayhawker Soule

-- untitled --
Premium Member
Victor said:
If I remember correctly you even made a comment about your grandson cheating when you were playing soccer with him. That was the comment that followed.

Previously ...

If "believe as they wish" excludes such things as pushing Creationism/ID in the schools, I would be "willing" - not "content".
Victor said:
By "willing" you mean what? Is your sport included in that?
I haven't a clue what you ment [sic] by that.
Victor said:
Did you not say once that this is just a sport for you? Or did I misunderstand you?

Thank you. The statement can be found in the Atheism is just another religion thread as follows ...

Sunstone - post #103 said:
One thing all or almost all religions have are rituals. Rituals are so ubiquitous to religions that they can be considered one of the defining characteristics of religion. So, taking that into account, where are the rituals practiced by atheists? Are there any? And if not, can atheism possibly be considered a religion?
Victor - post #104 said:
Would consistantly attempting to debunk theist be considered a "ritual"? :D
Jayhawker - post #106 said:
Don't confuse ritual with sport. :D
Victor - post #107 said:
How lovely. I suppose regular sports aren't your style.
Jayhawker - post #109 said:
True - I turn 60 tomorrow and pretty much limit myself to wrestling with grandkids and superstition. If truth be known, I did attempt some soccer with my 2.5 year old a while back but, alas, I lost miserably - and no one seemed to care that he cheated. :(
The bottom line is that you took humor and distorted it. Oh well ...

Quoth The Raven

Half Arsed Muse
Even if that weren't the case, the 'sport' as referenced didn't include knocking on the doors of theists and asking if they'd like to hear about evolution and read a complimentary copy of Scientific American.

As far as I can see, anyone - theist, non-theist, genius or moron - who comes into a public debate forum is fair game if you hold an opposing position. Sometimes you have to take an opposing position just for the joy of it. If that's not sport, then I don't know what is. Beats video games.:D

By the way, is 'anticreationist' the new buzzword? Funny, isn't it, that if you say you don't believe the world was formed by a giant snake, or a cow licking the ice, or that humans came from the armpit of a giant, no-one seems to give a toss - not even the people who own those mythologies - but tell some people that you don't believe Genesis is anything more than another creation myth and they act as if you're some sort of antichrist trying to bring about the end of their religious conviction.

Quiddity

I didn't distort anything. That hasn't been the first time you have said that. But I'll take your word for it....;)

~Victor

Quiddity

lady_lazarus said:
Even if that weren't the case, the 'sport' as referenced didn't include knocking on the doors of theists and asking if they'd like to hear about evolution and read a complimentary copy of Scientific American.
I had no idea that evolution was a religion...:rolleyes:

lady_lazarus said:
As far as I can see, anyone - theist, non-theist, genius or moron - who comes into a public debate forum is fair game if you hold an opposing position. Sometimes you have to take an opposing position just for the joy of it. If that's not sport, then I don't know what is. Beats video games.
I'll take that as a joke...:)

lady_lazarus said:
By the way, is 'anticreationist' the new buzzword? Funny, isn't it, that if you say you don't believe the world was formed by a giant snake, or a cow licking the ice, or that humans came from the armpit of a giant, no-one seems to give a toss - not even the people who own those mythologies - but tell some people that you don't believe Genesis is anything more than another creation myth and they act as if you're some sort of antichrist trying to bring about the end of their religious conviction.
What is even funnier is that it came from a talkorigins.com. :D
Shame on you for attaching it to Christians...:tsk:

~Victor