• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

consider this..

lilithu said:
Absolutely cheap shot. Scott gave to a perfectly reasoned response to your original question and now you're trying to change the subject, resorting to your "religion is evil" bit.
Is it a cheap shot because it is true? how is it changing the subject? I asked if the so-called high values of religion is actually sound. I used the example of what I see around me to detail my opinion.

Jayhawker Soule

-- untitled --
Premium Member
BeautifulMind said:
Is it a cheap shot because it is true?
It's a cheap shot because it's a distortion and, in fact, an ad hominem attack.

To sit there and pompously insist that ethical values can not be derived from religion is ignorant in the extreme. So, for example, though very much an atheist, it is very clear to me that there is far more ethical value derivable from the Sermon on the Mount than from all of your inane drivel thus far.

Scuba Pete

Le plongeur avec attitude...
BeautifulMind said:
that totally explains why some religion brings so much war and chaos, so much hate and prejudice..
Mean people are responsible for these actions. This last war was supported by theists and athiests alike and is both irresponsible and immoral no matter who started it. Religion is only a tool: it can't wage war.

NetDoc said:
Mean people are responsible for these actions. This last war was supported by theists and athiests alike and is both irresponsible and immoral no matter who started it. Religion is only a tool: it can't wage war.
Religion can wage war.. Crusades? Terrorist actions? etc... and to say this war was started by aethiests is incorrect. One big influence on whether we go to war or not, our president, is a full-fledged Christian. Where are his high values and morals there?

Jayhawker Soule

-- untitled --
Premium Member
BeautifulMind said:
Religion can wage war..
No. People wage war, and justify waging war in any number of ways. As one might expect from a bigot, you have not thought this out very well.

Scuba Pete

Le plongeur avec attitude...
No, religion can NOT wage war. People such as yourself can and do wage war. Unless you see the real cause, you are doomed to keep making the same mistake. The ultimate cause of war are people and nothing else.

Fatmop

and to say this war was started by aethiests is incorrect.
Well, you would actually say, for the sake of spelling your own viewpoint correctly, that it was started by 'atheists.' However, Netdoc did not say that - he said it was supported. He was also correct in saying that.

Deut's and Netdoc's responses make perfectly clear the difference between religion starting wars and people starting wars. Bush does not represent all of Christianity - he doesn't even represent all of the fundamentalists.

chuck010342

Thats why I exsits. As an apologetic It is my job to make sure that the Jesus of scripture is the true Jesus of History and not some later invention. There is lots of evidence to back this up.

Scott1 said:
There is no evidence that supports a wife or decendants..... so the Church (at least my Church) chooses to teach what is supported by truth.
Since there is "no evidence" that supports the theory that Jesus had a wife and kids you disregard it? .... Well... there is no supporting evidence to the existence of God, or all the stories, so disregard His existence?

blueman

God's Warrior
BeautifulMind said:
What if Jesus Christ was not who he was portrayed to be? What if the church created "Jesus Christ" in order to obtain power for themselves? Does everyone know it is possible that Jesus Christ had a wife and descendants, and that there is possible evidence that the theory is valid?

What would you do if you spent your entire life representing a fictional character created by ourselves? You died and there is no heaven or hell. How would you feel about yourself when you came to realize that you have been teaching fallacies all of your life?
If Jesus had a wife and kids, prove it. You have no valid proof. Secondly, I don't know about you, but the pioneers of the early church gained no poltical or economic power by representing Jesus Christ as Lord and Saviour. Matter of fact, 10 of the 11 apostles were martyrs for following Christ and thousands of other Chrisitians died at the hand of Roman rule and others based on what they trusted as truth. The New Testament Gospels, which include the biographical record of Christ, archeaological evidence, Jewish and Roman Historians, the conversion of Saul of Tarsus, the conversion of thousands of Jews to break cultural tradition and become Christians, the fervent defense of the faith by the apostles and the resurrection of Christ upon which all these events were a derivative of, represent a truth, not a fallicy like you are speaking of. it has withstood the test of time. If no heaven or hell exist, then I have nothing to lose do I? But if the promises of Christ are true, which I truly believe they are, then I much rather be for him than against Him, because of the consequences associated with those who reject Him. :)

Aqualung

Tasty
BeautifulMind said:
If God, and everything relating to God, exits prove it. You have no valid proof.
Ummm.... yeah. So your argument that supports the fact Jesus was married is, "there's no proof of anything." Good job. :clap You're a master debater.