• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

(Cons. Only) Opinion on Current State of Healthcare?

Quetzal

A little to the left and slightly out of focus.
Premium Member
Note: This is a post in the Conservative Only section. I am asking a question in good faith to obtain a different perspective. This is not a debate thread!

I am concerned with the state of healthcare in the US. Prices are continuing to grow and pharma companies are making a killing by making some medications unobtainable for those without insurance (and even some with it). My concern is that this is going to get worse and I know a common conservative platform is away from healthcare sponsored by the government. What is your opinion on the current state of healthcare? If you believe this is a problem, what sort of solution would you like to see? Also, please correct any of my assumptions if they are incorrect.

Thanks!

Nakosis

Non-Binary Physicalist
Premium Member
Note: This is a post in the Conservative Only section. I am asking a question in good faith to obtain a different perspective. This is not a debate thread!

I am concerned with the state of healthcare in the US. Prices are continuing to grow and pharma companies are making a killing by making some medications unobtainable for those without insurance (and even some with it). My concern is that this is going to get worse and I know a common conservative platform is away from healthcare sponsored by the government. What is your opinion on the current state of healthcare? If you believe this is a problem, what sort of solution would you like to see? Also, please correct any of my assumptions if they are incorrect.

Thanks!

Well, usually capitalism is blamed, but I don't see capitalism much involved here. Maybe I can pick different doctors but that doesn't change any costs for me. All the costs are behind the scenes to me. Something agreed on between the provider and the insurance.

I need insurance because I supposedly can't afford the cost. Insurance hides the actual cost from me. For example the hospital bills $5000 and the insurance pays $600 as a negotiation between the hospital and insurer.

Maybe this cost are artificially inflated to keep us dependent on the insurer. Keep us scared to negotiate on our own.

Universal health care sounds nice but gives ultimate power to the insurance company whose real job is to show a profit.

Last edited:

icehorse

......unaffiliated...... anti-dogmatist
Premium Member
I like the question and I also like the form of the question. It seems that a lot more questions like this one could be really productive.

Twilight Hue

Twilight, not bright nor dark, good nor bad.
Well, usually capitalism is blamed, but I don't see capitalism much involved here. Maybe I can pick different doctors but that doesn't change any costs for me. All the costs are behind the scenes to me. Something agreed on between the provider and the insurance.

I need insurance because I supposedly can't afford the cost. Insurance hides the actual cost from me. For example the hospital bills $5000 and the insurance pays $600 as a negotiation between the hospital and insurer.

Maybe this cost are artificially inflated to keep us dependent on the insurer. Keep us scared to negotiate on our own.

Universal health care sounds nice but gives ultimate power to the insurance company whose real job is to show a profit.
I kind of wonder if you can get this disclosure upon written request?

Nakosis

Non-Binary Physicalist
Premium Member
I kind of wonder if you can get this disclosure upon written request?

For whatever reason to was told to me by the facility providing an outpatient for me in casual conversation with one of the facility administrators while being prepped for the operation.

Also there is a coding process for costs so that even if you did get a disclosure you may not be able to understand it. Seems a bit shady to me.

Maybe I'm barking up the wrong tree but I'm currently suspicious of the Health Insurance industry being at the heart of the problem. Maybe along with Big Pharma. I wish congress would at least take a position to investigate.