• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Confused about Sikhism/Hinduism differences

ronki23

Quite a few online Sikhs seem to hate Hinduism. Links like below are a bit confusing to me. I agree Sikhs do not literally mean Rama/Vishnu, Brahma and Shiva when they mention those Gods but they actively go against Hinduism in what they say.

It's like Christians and Muslims hating Jews, sure they have had issues but mocking the scriptures is a bit silly as those scriptures were held in high regard/contributed to the formation of your religion.

The website names (google them):

"Sikhs should not celebrate Dussehra-Topix"

"Vedas AND Semitic Scriptures-WHAT'S HAPPENING?-The Voice of Sikhs"

"Fake Harmandar Sahib,Kirtan & Idol Worship of Ganesh Hindu God-REPORT BEADBI-The Voice of Sikhs"

Youtube user-Punjabi Jatt

Anyhow,

i'm still a bit fuzzy on why Sikhs grow their hair and wear turbans. On one side I hear it is to show that they are Sikhs as Sikhs are a small religion. One the other side I hear the long hair is to represent everyone being equal to Brahmins and the Turban representing a crown???

Also, what do Sikhs think of Siddharta? Because Buddha had the same core beliefs and was therefore absorbed by both Hindus and the folk religions of China and Japan.

Also, if Sikhs see all as equal (like many other religions), why are there rules as to being a Sikh. I'm assuming the Karma means that those who sin may be considered equal but must be punished for what they did wrong

Sb1995

Om Sai Ram
I actually find that most Sikh's and Hindu's are very close and have a tight bond and like "religion brothers". I have a very upmost and high respect for my fellow Dharmic religions and I believe in both Buddha and Guru Nanakji. I think it's our goal as dharmic followers to love one another since there is peace between Hinduism-Sikhism-Buddhism.

GURSIKH

chardi kla
Hi Ronki ,

Sikhi teaches us to hate none , and true Sikhs respect others faith .don't take Topix and Youtube comment seriously ,if you wanna learn abt Sikhi read Guru Granth Sahib ji .

Regarding diff bw Hinduism n Sikhi . i think its worship of multiple Gods ,idol worship ,Caste System , Vedic rituals .....

there is not much written abt BUDDHA in Gurbani ,but Sikhs considers him a enlightened being who attained perfection/Nirvaana .

Khalsa ( Guru's beloved Army) keep Kesh .

I'm assuming the Karma means that those who sin may be considered equal but must be punished for what they did wrong
Sikhs donot belive in things such as Punishment,Sin....

blessings

ronki23

Hi Ronki ,

Sikhi teaches us to hate none , and true Sikhs respect others faith .don't take Topix and Youtube comment seriously ,if you wanna learn abt Sikhi read Guru Granth Sahib ji .

Regarding diff bw Hinduism n Sikhi . i think its worship of multiple Gods ,idol worship ,Caste System , Vedic rituals .....

there is not much written abt BUDDHA in Gurbani ,but Sikhs considers him a enlightened being who attained perfection/Nirvaana .

Khalsa ( Guru's beloved Army) keep Kesh .

Sikhs donot belive in things such as Punishment,Sin....

blessings

Agree Topix shouldn't be taken seriously but why would Sikhs have such thoughts in the first place, it's like Christians and Muslims mocking the Torah- that was linked to the Old Testament and Qu'ran so it's similar to mocking your own religion.

Should Buddha not be held in high regard too? Buddha was a believer in Karma and reincarnation so why is he not as important as the Gurus as the Gurus too believed in this.
What about Jesus? He could be seen as a preacher of monotheism who died for sins and he has been absorbed by Hindus (well, he seems similar to Krishna and Jesus' original story is similar to that of Heracles/Hercules)

If we have religions that see all as equal, why do some Sikhs choose to be Sikh if their atheist or friend from another religion is too seen as equal? Couldn't the argument be that Sikh life is full of restrictions?

Breathe

Hostis humani generis
i'm still a bit fuzzy on why Sikhs grow their hair and wear turbans. On one side I hear it is to show that they are Sikhs as Sikhs are a small religion. One the other side I hear the long hair is to represent everyone being equal to Brahmins and the Turban representing a crown???
Sort of both, but more than that.

We are considered perfect. There is no need to alter ourselves for religious reasons, such things are considered superstitious, and superstition is not permitted within Sikhism. The SGGS mentions that with every hair on one's head, a Sikh meditates upon the Lord:

ਰੋਮੇ ਰੋਮਿ ਰੋਮਿ ਰੋਮੇ ਮੈ ਗੁਰਮੁਖਿ ਰਾਮੁ ਧਿਆਏ ਰਾਮ ॥
With each and every hair, with each and every hair, as Gurmukh, I meditate on the Lord.​

In addition, the turban is a very powerful symbol of equality. Only certain people would wear a turban in India previously, but within Sikhism all may wear it. In addition, it keeps the hair clean and undamaged. If you ever saw an unshorn hair keeping Sikh's hair uncovered, it looks really nice. :)

Also, what do Sikhs think of Siddharta? Because Buddha had the same core beliefs and was therefore absorbed by both Hindus and the folk religions of China and Japan.
As Gursikh bhai has mentioned, not much is mentioned of Siddharta, but there are mention of many Buddhas as early as Page 6 of the SGGS.

I've only met Sikhs who say they believe Buddha was an enlightened individual. So, I guess that's pretty much the closest you can get to a 'standard' belief regarding it.

Also, if Sikhs see all as equal (like many other religions), why are there rules as to being a Sikh.
Some rules were implemented within the Sikh code of conduct to help identify Sikhs and so on, and they were further defined the Sikh Rehat Maryādā partially (not completely) due to a reaction against groups taking control of Sikh gurdwārās and introducing non-Sikh ideas and passing them over as Sikh practises, sometimes even contrary to Sikh religious beliefs; iirc an example given was one of a havan. Sikh leaders realized that if they wanted to keep their own distinct religion and not have it absorbed into a much larger religious umbrella identity and to avoid practises which go against the Sikh philosophy, they would have to have some form of rules.

Some Sikhs think they went a bit overboard, but we're speaking of something which was originally started in the early 1900s and is based on earlier documents (Wiki link), including one which was selected a mere 10 years after the death of Gurū Gobind Singh Jī, they are not that restrictive.

I'm assuming the Karma means that those who sin may be considered equal but must be punished for what they did wrong
No. God does not punish people in the way you are thinking within Sikh beliefs. It is not meted out by an on-high king-God post-death.

Put your hand in fire, it will get burnt.
Going to bed with an itchy bum risks waking up with a smelly finger. :)D:facepalm:)

That is the Sikh understanding of karma.

Hope this helps.

ronki23

I actually find that most Sikh's and Hindu's are very close and have a tight bond and like "religion brothers". I have a very upmost and high respect for my fellow Dharmic religions and I believe in both Buddha and Guru Nanakji. I think it's our goal as dharmic followers to love one another since there is peace between Hinduism-Sikhism-Buddhism.

After reading said links and researching 1984 in India I find it hard to believe Hindus and Sikhs are close as people say. Sure Hindus are allowed to worship in Gurudwara but have you ever seen a Sikh worship in Hindu Temple?

I don't understand why clause 25 (?) is a big deal but Sikhs have a right to be mad

Breathe

Hostis humani generis
After reading said links and researching 1984 in India I find it hard to believe Hindus and Sikhs are close as people say. Sure Hindus are allowed to worship in Gurudwara but have you ever seen a Sikh worship in Hindu Temple?
I have seen Sikhs who keep kesh and may or may not be baptised Sikhs visit the mandir, on multiple occasions.

ronki23

I have seen Sikhs who keep kesh and may or may not be baptised Sikhs visit the mandir, on multiple occasions.

Then why are the Sikhs online (particularly the young ones) so against India and mock the Vedas/ refuse to speak of their similarities to Hinduism?

Why is clause 25 such a big deal?

By the way, i'm Hindu but all the Temples where I live are ISKCON and I find them too extreme for my liking so I visit Gurudwara instead.
That and my Hindu 'friends' from University go to parties/have fun and don't include me as I don't speak Hindi or drink alcohol- it seems i'm not Indian enough for them.

(I live in the UK)

Breathe

Hostis humani generis
Then why are the Sikhs online (particularly the young ones) so against India and mock the Vedas/ refuse to speak of their similarities to Hinduism?
Youthful angst and the online disinhibition effect.
In addition, they wish for an identity to call their own. Like many people.
Some are uncomfortable with syncretism.

Why is clause 25 such a big deal?
Sorry, which Clause 25? The Rehat Clause 25 (Method of Imposing Chastisement), or the Hindu Marriage Act?

By the way, i'm Hindu but all the Temples where I live are ISKCON and I find them too extreme for my liking so I visit Gurudwara instead.
That and my Hindu 'friends' from University go to parties/have fun and don't include me as I don't speak Hindi or drink alcohol- it seems i'm not Indian enough for them.

(I live in the UK)
I'm not really that keen on ISKCON personally either.

I don't drink either. Teetotaller high-five. :highfive:
I seem to be bumping into loads of non-drinkers recently. Good. :D

ronki23

Youthful angst and the online disinhibition effect.
In addition, they wish for an identity to call their own. Like many people.
Some are uncomfortable with syncretism.

Sorry, which Clause 25? The Rehat Clause 25 (Method of Imposing Chastisement), or the Hindu Marriage Act?

I'm not really that keen on ISKCON personally either.

I don't drink either. Teetotaller high-five. :highfive:
I seem to be bumping into loads of non-drinkers recently. Good. :D

There's a clause in India's law considering Buddhists, Jains and Sikhs and Hindus-Sikhs like Bhindranwale are against it. Why is it such a big deal,I thought being classed as Hindu is good in India as it is a Hindu country

Agree Sikhs are non Vedic but why do they mock Vedas/Hindu Gods online? I've even read Sikhs who pray in Mandir are not true Sikhs

Breathe

Hostis humani generis
There's a clause in India's law considering Buddhists, Jains and Sikhs and Hindus-Sikhs like Bhindranwale are against it. Why is it such a big deal,I thought being classed as Hindu is good in India as it is a Hindu country
Because many Sikhs want to be classed as their own religious identity, and not to be absorbed into Hinduism.

Agree Sikhs are non Vedic but why do they mock Vedas/Hindu Gods online? I've even read Sikhs who pray in Mandir are not true Sikhs
Because of the online disinhibition effect:

Normal Person + Audience + Anonymity = Total *******.

Sikhs are not supposed to do that. Sikhism is a universal religion. "Some call him Allah, some call him Rām."

For reference, a few verses:

ਕੋਈ ਬੋਲੈ ਰਾਮ ਰਾਮ ਕੋਈ ਖੁਦਾਇ ॥
Some call Him, 'Raam, Raam', and some call Him, 'Khudaa-i'.
ਕੋਈ ਸੇਵੈ ਗੁਸਈਆ ਕੋਈ ਅਲਾਹਿ ॥੧॥
Some serve Him as 'Gusain', others as 'Allah'. ||1||
- SGGS jī, ang 885

ਏਕੋ ਅਲਹੁ ਪਾਰਬ੍ਰਹਮ ॥੫॥੩੪॥੪੫॥
The Muslim God Allah and the Hindu God Paarbrahm are one and the same. ||5||34||45||
- SGGS jī, ang 897

ਹਿੰਦੂ ਤੁਰਕ ਕਾ ਸਾਹਿਬੁ ਏਕ ॥
Hindus and Muslims* have the same One Lord and Master.
- SGGS jī, ang 1158
* Literally, "Turks"​

ਬੇਦ ਕਤੇਬ ਕਹਹੁ ਮਤ ਝੂਠੇ ਝੂਠਾ ਜੋ ਨ ਬਿਚਾਰੈ ॥
Do not say that the Vedas, the Bible and the Koran* are false. Those who do not contemplate them are false.
- SGGS jī, ang 1350
*"Kateb"; sort of similar to the word "Book", as in Ahl al-Kitab, people of the book (i.e., Jews and Christians). Used in its broad term, it means something similar to "Abrahamic scripture".​

ਗੁਰਮੁਖੀਆ ਸੋਹਾਗਣੀ ਤਿਨ ਦਇਆ ਪਈ ਮਨਿ ਆਇ ॥
The Gurmukhs are the happy soul-brides; their minds are filled with kindness.

Hope this helps. :)

Satnaam

Conquer your mind
"Sikhs should not celebrate Dussehra-Topix"

These topics are usually raised by Sikhs to counter the promotion of non Sikh festivals or ceremonies in Sikhi. Due to persecutions and schisms Sikh history and religious rites were hijacked but then 'reformed' by the Singh Sabha, but even now some things remain. So if you hear a Sikh preacher saying that we as Sikhs should not participate in this ceremony it is not because we hate that religion but because we try to preserve the original Sikhi. Like lets say the Mangal Sutra, I do respect the women who wear or respect it BUT if a preacher says its wrong for Sikh women to wear it, I will agree with him. I don't hate Hinduism but I find that it is discriminatory against women and especially the fact that it is not mentioned in the Sikh scriptures makes it even more sure that Sikh women shouldn't wear it. But as Sikhs, we should respect all religions but that does not mean that we integrate their customs, ceremonies or festivities in our Dharam. Same way for Idol worship, if a Sikh warns another Sikh against it, it is not because we hate Hinduism but because we do not believe in idol worship but rather connecting to the one without rituals. Our Gurus sacrificed their lives for the Hindus, for their right to worship idols (i.e. maintain their identity), so we do not hate Hinduism, these people are simply trying to preserve the authentic Sikhi.

We believe that God created us perfectly the way we are, and that we should respect his creation. Thus we do not perform circumcisions, remove body hair or alter the body in other ways. The hair and Brahmins part is not true. The turban is an order of the Guru, it is indeed a gift, a crown that everyone can wear. Besides the spiritual significance it is also practical in keeping the hair clean and protected.

He was most probably a learned person, but Sikh scriptures are mostly silent about him.

Also, if Sikhs see all as equal (like many other religions), why are there rules as to being a Sikh. I'm assuming the Karma means that those who sin may be considered equal but must be punished for what they did wrong

In Sikhi, good deeds draw you closer to God while bad deeds take you away from God (or your real Self). There is a Godly Will, the laws of Cosmos, the 'Hukam' you have to respect, and it restricts you in certain ways but you also have the free will to act as you wish (under the limitations ofcourse).

----

The internet hate you see is mostly from youths from foreign countries who have grown hearing about evil Hindus who massacred Sikhs in 1980s. But if you read history closely it is more a state vs Sikhs thing, yes some extremist Hindu groups did take advantage of it and took their hate out by killing Sikhs but it wasn't just that. Alot of the police officers responsible for extra judicial killing of Sikh youth were not only Hindus but Sikhs and even Muslims. If you look the 1984 Guilty list you will see more than a dozen 'Muslim' names, so it wasn't as black and white at it is made out to be. Some people think the 'evil bahmans' are behind everything, somewhat like the Muslims blame the Jews for everything. I won't blame them, nor should you hate them, its the way they have grown up.

Last edited:

ronki23

Because many Sikhs want to be classed as their own religious identity, and not to be absorbed into Hinduism.

Because of the online disinhibition effect:

Normal Person + Audience + Anonymity = Total *******.

Sikhs are not supposed to do that. Sikhism is a universal religion. "Some call him Allah, some call him Rām."

For reference, a few verses:

ਕੋਈ ਬੋਲੈ ਰਾਮ ਰਾਮ ਕੋਈ ਖੁਦਾਇ ॥
Some call Him, 'Raam, Raam', and some call Him, 'Khudaa-i'.
ਕੋਈ ਸੇਵੈ ਗੁਸਈਆ ਕੋਈ ਅਲਾਹਿ ॥੧॥
Some serve Him as 'Gusain', others as 'Allah'. ||1||
- SGGS jī, ang 885

ਏਕੋ ਅਲਹੁ ਪਾਰਬ੍ਰਹਮ ॥੫॥੩੪॥੪੫॥
The Muslim God Allah and the Hindu God Paarbrahm are one and the same. ||5||34||45||
- SGGS jī, ang 897

ਹਿੰਦੂ ਤੁਰਕ ਕਾ ਸਾਹਿਬੁ ਏਕ ॥
Hindus and Muslims* have the same One Lord and Master.
- SGGS jī, ang 1158
* Literally, "Turks"​

ਬੇਦ ਕਤੇਬ ਕਹਹੁ ਮਤ ਝੂਠੇ ਝੂਠਾ ਜੋ ਨ ਬਿਚਾਰੈ ॥
Do not say that the Vedas, the Bible and the Koran* are false. Those who do not contemplate them are false.
- SGGS jī, ang 1350
*"Kateb"; sort of similar to the word "Book", as in Ahl al-Kitab, people of the book (i.e., Jews and Christians). Used in its broad term, it means something similar to "Abrahamic scripture".​

ਗੁਰਮੁਖੀਆ ਸੋਹਾਗਣੀ ਤਿਨ ਦਇਆ ਪਈ ਮਨਿ ਆਇ ॥
The Gurmukhs are the happy soul-brides; their minds are filled with kindness.

Hope this helps. :)

With the exception of being called Hindu on paper, why does it matter? Sikhs still will follow the Guru Granth Sahib, follow the 5 Ks and refer to themselves as Sikh so what is the big issue over being seen as Hindu?

Have you seen Sikhs pray in a Mandir with idols? 'Proper' Sikhs with turban/beard and bangle? I was told any Sikhs doing this or celebrating Holi are not true Sikhs

Also why isn't Buddha held in higher regard? He too believes in few rituals,ahimsa,karma and dharma.

I'm not sure how Hindus would incorporate Sikhism as Sikhs are against elaborate rituals and polytheism. Though Hindus can hold the Guru in high regard for protecting Hindus and being imprisoned alongside them/helping the Hindus get freed. Maybe a Hindu like myself could argue that Jesus,the Gurus and Buddha were against class division and power struggles and weren't actively anti-pagan. The problem with Muhammed was that he was

Satnaam

Conquer your mind
It is just like many Indians won't like being called Pakistani on paper even though its the same sub-continent or part of the historical Hindustan. By what logic can the law book of a country club all those religions as Hindu if they're not? Buddhists do not believe in this Hindu deities nor do the Sikhs, we do respect all religious beliefs though.

I think you should read more into the Vedas, some aspects such as monotheism, no casteism etc are very similar to Sikhi. Altough Arya Samajis hate Sikhs but alot of their beliefs are based on the Vedas alone and match Sikhi. Hinduism is very broad, you have schools ranging from Atheism to monotheism and polytheism (most known because arguably it is the easiest, you simply have to worship a stone and usually not delve deeper into the scriptures/Dhyana).

ronki23

It is just like many Indians won't like being called Pakistani on paper even though its the same sub-continent or part of the historical Hindustan. By what logic can the law book of a country club all those religions as Hindu if they're not? Buddhists do not believe in this Hindu deities nor do the Sikhs, we do respect all religious beliefs though.

I think you should read more into the Vedas, some aspects such as monotheism, no casteism etc are very similar to Sikhi. Altough Arya Samajis hate Sikhs but alot of their beliefs are based on the Vedas alone and match Sikhi. Hinduism is very broad, you have schools ranging from Atheism to monotheism and polytheism (most known because arguably it is the easiest, you simply have to worship a stone and usually not delve deeper into the scriptures/Dhyana).

The 'respect' thing is what I find hard to understand. I was brought up Hindu but went to a C of E school, my sister to a Catholic school. Had we not gone there/been brought up in India we wouldn't know about Jesus. I 'respect' Chritianity so I absorbed it into Hinduism-parts of it anyway. I believe in Jesus and the Gospels but not literally/down to a T. At the same time if a sect of Christianity mocks my belief in Hinduism I will mock their interpretation of Christianity.

To me, when someone says they 'respect' a religion it just means they dismiss it but say nothing to avoid upsetting the believer.

I personally believe most religions can be made compatible except: Hinduism-Islam (simply as Muhammed destroyed the idols of Makkah/declared the pagans as evil ALTHOUGH I haven't read into it enough) and Judaism-Christianity (as believing in Christ automatically means you're not a Jew).

Hinduism-Judaism: Compatible through monotheism and a supreme Lord.
Sikhism-Judaism: Same reason
Sikhism-Islam: Last I checked Sikhs and Muslims hated one another but they seem better friends as of 1984. Guru Nanak actually went to Makkah and respected Islam (though I must admit the Hidu Punjabis deny this). aBoth monotheist
Hinduism-Christianity: Jesus and Krishna similarities and Vishnu's fish avatar bring simiar o Noah
Hinduism-Buddhism: Hindus have Buddha
Hinduism-Zoroastrianism: Indra
Chinese folk- Hinduism: Buddha and Sun Wukong/Hanuman
Hinduism-Jainism: Jains came first and are Dharmic but absorbed Hindu deities
Jainism-Buddhism: both main icons preached the same meaning
Christianity-Islam: Belief in Jesus

I guess monotheist/idol free Hinduism could work with Islam - especially Catholics too pray to idols when they aren't meant to

Breathe

Hostis humani generis
With the exception of being called Hindu on paper, why does it matter? Sikhs still will follow the Guru Granth Sahib, follow the 5 Ks and refer to themselves as Sikh so what is the big issue over being seen as Hindu?
Because Sikhs are not Hindu. Why should they be called Hindu even on paper when it's inaccurate?

Have you seen Sikhs pray in a Mandir with idols? 'Proper' Sikhs with turban/beard and bangle? I was told any Sikhs doing this or celebrating Holi are not true Sikhs
Yep. One even consulted the priest for jyotiṣ (an astrological reading).

Not true Sikhs. Lol. No true Scotsman.

The use of the term was advanced by British philosopher Antony Flew:
Imagine Hamish McDonald, a Scotsman, sitting down with his Glasgow Morning Herald and seeing an article about how the "Brighton Sex Maniac Strikes Again". Hamish is shocked and declares that "No Scotsman would do such a thing". The next day he sits down to read his Glasgow Morning Herald again; and, this time, finds an article about an Aberdeen man whose brutal actions make the Brighton sex maniac seem almost gentlemanly. This fact shows that Hamish was wrong in his opinion but is he going to admit this? Not likely. This time he says, "No true Scotsman would do such a thing".

No true Scotsman - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

I'd love the chance to celebrate Holi. :D

Also why isn't Buddha held in higher regard? He too believes in few rituals,ahimsa,karma and dharma.
He's in a pretty high regard already.

I'm not sure how Hindus would incorporate Sikhism as Sikhs are against elaborate rituals and polytheism. Though Hindus can hold the Guru in high regard for protecting Hindus and being imprisoned alongside them/helping the Hindus get freed. Maybe a Hindu like myself could argue that Jesus,the Gurus and Buddha were against class division and power struggles and weren't actively anti-pagan. The problem with Muhammed was that he was
It happened in the past, so it is possible and it can happen quite easily.

As a rough guess, it'd probably start with the incorporation of things like garlands of flowers, dīya (dīpak) lamps, and jyotiṣ in a few gurdwārās. Nothing wrong with these actions of course, but they aren't exactly Sikh.

Satnaam

Conquer your mind
The 'respect' thing is what I find hard to understand.
To me, when someone says they 'respect' a religion it just means they dismiss it but say nothing to avoid upsetting the believer.

It is not so hard to understand. We respect them in the sense that everyone has the right to freely practise his religion, freedom of speech. Its not that we are afraid of upsetting the believer because the Gurus did criticise the fallacies in the other religions but they still believed others had the right to freely practise their religions - this in contrast to some religions who believe that non-believers have to be subdued or only people who follow their way of life deserves their support. We protect everyone and also feed everyone, thats the distinction, in my opinion.

ronki23

It is not so hard to understand. We respect them in the sense that everyone has the right to freely practise his religion, freedom of speech. Its not that we are afraid of upsetting the believer because the Gurus did criticise the fallacies in the other religions but they still believed others had the right to freely practise their religions - this in contrast to some religions who believe that non-believers have to be subdued or only people who follow their way of life deserves their support. We protect everyone and also feed everyone, thats the distinction, in my opinion.

Hmm. What's your opinion on Sanatan Sikhism or Dasam Granth Sahib mentioning Vishnu's Kalki avatar?

Kalki Avtar - Page 2 - DASAM GRANTH SAHIB | SCRIPTURES - The Voice of Sikhs

I feel that it must have been either the Greek or Egyptian religions that influenced Kalki Avatar and the Bible as Kalki seems very similar to Jesus' second coming and there's no way the Torah was copying the Vedas (else there'd be a lot of Abrahamic architecture and scriptures still in India) so both must have an original source-most likely the Greeks. Undoubtedly, Kalki Avatar in Sikhism comes from Hinduism due to proximity.

Anyhow, I guess I could be called Sanatan Sikh as i've been visiting Sikh Temple for several months as we have only ISKCON temples near where I live. Though I must admit i'm not religious at all and have forgotten much of the stories of Hinduism with the exception of Diwali, Ganesha, (a little bit of) Hanuman and the boy who was saved by Vishnu's Lion Avatar. With Christianity I only know of Christmas,Easter but I find Christianity is absorb able into Hinduism.

Unfortunately I haven't read the Mahabharat,Ramayan,Guru Granth Sahib or Dasam Granth Sahib. These are also far too long to make into a movie to watch

cecele

I just recently "discovered" sikhism by reading about it. So far, I think that their belief makes the best sense in all other religions. I look at sikhs with different eyes now. I wish people would read about every religions before they make silly remarks based on what they see. There are so many misconceptions.

Poeticus

| abhyAvartin |
Namaste,

I feel that it must have been either the Greek or Egyptian religions that influenced Kalki Avatar and the Bible as Kalki seems very similar to Jesus' second coming and there's no way the Torah was copying the Vedas (else there'd be a lot of Abrahamic architecture and scriptures still in India) so both must have an original source-most likely the Greeks. Undoubtedly, Kalki Avatar in Sikhism comes from Hinduism due to proximity.

Can you please give me a link or a credible source that states that Lord Shri Kalki was inspired by Greek or Egyptian religions?

but I find Christianity is absorb able into Hinduism.

Are you sure about that?

Unfortunately I haven't read the Mahabharat,Ramayan,Guru Granth Sahib or Dasam Granth Sahib. These are also far too long to make into a movie to watch

No wonder. Listen, you can't just find dharma from watching movies based off of Hindu and Sikh scriptures. You have to live dharmically. Meaning, you have to read the Hindu scriptures if you would like to be a Hindu; same goes for reading the Sikh scriptures if you would like to be a Sikh. Then, you have to practice either one of the religions through utilizing what you may have learned from your intensive readings - assuming you read them intensely and studiously - with the help of qualified Gurus or learned Sadhus.

M.V.