• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Confronting Islamic terrorism in the long term

I found this extremely interesting and informative--it's a speech by Robert L. Hutchings, Chairman of the National Intelligence Council. You can read the entire speech here: http://www.odci.gov/nic/speeches_terrorist_conduct.html

Here is part of the speech.

A Strategy of Engagement

It is worth recalling that Kennan made a sharp distinction between the Soviet leaders and the Russian people. His strategy of containment was aimed at the regime, whose aggressive impulses needed to be countered. But he also argued for a strategy of engagement with the Russian people, whom he refused to see as our permanent enemies. Hard as it may be to get beyond the anti-American sentiment so prevalent in the Muslim world today, it is important for us to undertake a similar strategy of engagement – and to do so with reasonable hopes of finding a meeting place.

The latest Pew Research survey of attitudes around the world revealed sharply rising anti-Americanism, especially in the Muslim world, but it also found that people in Muslim countries place a high value on such democratic values as freedom of expression, freedom of the press, multiparty political systems, and equal treatment under the law. Large majorities in almost every Muslim country favor free market economic systems and believe that Western-style democracy can work in their own country.

As President Bush put it in a speech to the National Endowment for Democracy last November,

It should be clear to all that Islam – the faith of one-fifth of humanity – is consistent with democratic rule…. More than half of all the Muslims in the world live in freedom under democratically constituted governments. They succeed in democratic societies, not despite their faith, but because of it. A religion that demands individual moral accountability… is fully compatible the rights and responsibilities of self-government.

Taking note of hopeful signs of reform in Morocco, Bahrain, Yemen, Oman, Qatar, Kuwait, and Jordan, the President stressed that “modernization is not the same as Westernization. Representative governments in the Middle East will reflect their own cultures. They will not, and should not, look like us.”

What these countries and peoples need from us is not a “Made in USA” blueprint but rather encouragement and support for initiatives coming out of the region itself, as was the agenda of the U.S.-Muslim World Forum in Doha, Qatar, this January. The last two UN Arab Human Development Reports also provide an authentic agenda for change written by prominent Arab scholars, policy analysts, and government officials. Such efforts can help produce a set of core principles, consistent with democratic aspirations and universal human rights yet also authentic and in harmony with Muslim faith. This should include reaching out not only to pro-reform elites within governments but also to nongovernmental activists and civil society leaders.

This strategy of engagement also needs an economic component, for the alienation of many Muslims is fueled by the failure of their countries to reap significant economic gains from globalization. The Middle East Partnership Initiative, announced by Secretary of State Colin Powell in December 2002, aims to help extend those benefits to this regions, as does President Bush’s initiative (May 2003) to create a U.S.-Middle East Free Trade Zone. We need to recognize, however, that the problem is not just one of poverty but the legacy of closed, state-dominated political and economic systems that breed apathy, alienation, and anger. Overcoming those legacies is not the work of a few years but of a generation or longer.

There is also a need to help build a regional security framework. NATO can potentially play an important role here, through a deepening and broadening of its Mediterranean Dialogue with North African states. What is needed over the longer term, however, is something analogous to the Conference on Security and Cooperation in Europe – a region-wide framework that was created in the 1970s and helped pave the way for the end of the Cold War. It was, in a sense, the logical culmination of Kennan’s strategy for Europe, and it could be applied with profit to the Middle East as well.

Finally, again borrowing from Kennan, we need to build cross-cultural contacts – not in the sense of a p.r. campaign to “sell” our policies, but as part of a longer-term effort. Just as our cultural and exchange programs in Europe after World War II helped overcome old animosities, a new wave of programs needs to be put in place as an investment in the future of our interaction with the Muslim world.
Any thoughts?

Anyone think the above might have something to do with Iraq? Or am I the only one who finds foreign policy interesting? :)

trishtrish10

democracies and republics have their advantages and disadvantages, as do all forms of government. each form of government(dictatorships, crowns, communist,etc.) has good aspects to them and fallacies. the only true form of governing that's perfect is the infallibility of the Popedom. but we need fair laws that govern commerce which is connected to the church, when it becomes necessary for harm prevention, and i'm not talking about when your pride is hurt. someone has to be elected to be able to lay the hammer down when it comes to morals, and that representative (God's) is the pope.

I was referring to the Middle East...you aren't really suggesting the establishment of Papal states in Iraq, Iran, and Palestine are you?

Terrorism is not limited to the Islamic religion...There are fanatics in all religions who cause mayhem, destruction and death in the name of God. Its happened throughout history.

QUOTE=trishtrish10]democracies and republics have their advantages and
disadvantages, as do all forms of government. each form of government(dictatorships, crowns, communist,etc.) has good aspects to them and fallacies. the only true form of governing that's perfect is the infallibility of the Popedom. but we need fair laws that govern commerce which is connected to the church, when it becomes necessary for harm prevention, and i'm not talking about when your pride is hurt. someone has to be elected to be able to lay the hammer down when it comes to morals, and that representative (God's) is the pope.[/QUOTE]

I see no difference between your views and those of Islamic Fundamentalists.

trishtrish10

i highly respect Islam. we are brothers. we worship the same God. the difference is our belief in the Trinity not our mutual God. the jews also deserve high respect for their God is ours also. they are hopeless because they don't think their messiah has come yet according to the religious media. if u think about, salvation is our only hope and everyone except a very few have love and good intentions in their heart. Love is what unites all people. when u meet a stranger, one usually doesn't discriminate his religion, but judges his character and how he treats or loves u and others. according to my beliefs it is our duty to be patriotic, loving, and educate ourselves and others, the best way we know how, in fact it is a responsibility and according to Mrs. Saddock a former episcopalian, it makes the stakes much higher as well as the rewards.

trishtrish10 said:
democracies and republics have their advantages and disadvantages, as do all forms of government. each form of government(dictatorships, crowns, communist,etc.) has good aspects to them and fallacies. the only true form of governing that's perfect is the infallibility of the Popedom. but we need fair laws that govern commerce which is connected to the church, when it becomes necessary for harm prevention, and i'm not talking about when your pride is hurt. someone has to be elected to be able to lay the hammer down when it comes to morals, and that representative (God's) is the pope.

How can you suggest that you have a high respect for Islam and other religions when you believe that the pope is an infallable representative of God and should govern world "laying the hammer down" based on his Catholic Religious beliefs......Morality can be relative to a person's culture, religious beliefs, circumstances, etc;

Hmmm, good point civilcynic, though I would commend trishtrish10's religious tolerance.

Terrorism is not limited to the Islamic religion...There are fanatics in all religions who cause mayhem, destruction and death in the name of God. Its happened throughout history.
Yes, I agree. The article specifically focuses on Islamic terrorism though, and what strategies to pursue to eradicate it in the long term.

We have already seen positive changes in the foreign policies of countries like Egypt and Libya as a direct result of American military presence in Iraq, and we may begin to see other MidEast countries pursue democratic reform in the near future, especially if Iraq prospers as a democracy (and it probably will). Without falling into a debate about whether or not the Iraq war was justified in the first place, would you agree that a free Iraq that has good relations with America could be a catalyst for change in the Middle East? Keep in mind that most Islamic terrorism comes from theocratic, totalitarian governments where there is no free press and much anti-American, anti-West indoctrination (and yet despite this most Arabs strongly favor democratic reform).

trishtrish10

the reason i suggest the pope to be the sole ruler of the world, is because he already is, most people just don't recognize him as such. i would make all governments agree with the morality of the roman catholic church for the good of all. i'm just daydreaming. all peoples need to settle their differences, allow these differences and unite. God allows us to sin and is most generally forgiving, which is both his greatest strength and his greatest weakness. he only punishes when necessary. i punish myself, sometimes, and go into depression.

trishtrish10 said:
the reason i suggest the pope to be the sole ruler of the world, is because he already is, most people just don't recognize him as such. i would make all governments agree with the morality of the roman catholic church for the good of all. i'm just daydreaming. all peoples need to settle their differences, allow these differences and unite. God allows us to sin and is most generally forgiving, which is both his greatest strength and his greatest weakness. he only punishes when necessary. i punish myself, sometimes, and go into depression.

It seems what your post suggests when you say that "all people need to settle their differences...and unite", is that all people in the world should give up any belief and/point of view that does not fit into your idea of Catholicism.
What you are suggesting is that everyone give up their way of living and follow yours. Why? You may have a strong Faith but that does not mean that you have all the answers nor do you have any right to inmpose your beleifs on anyone else

If anyone wants to discuss the article and how it relates to a long term strategy that includes the Iraq War, I'd be happy to oblige. :)

Yerda

Veteran Member
The introduction of a competitive market would probably aid the process towards peace in the region. I'm not a fan of market fundamentalism, infact I believe it is counter democratic, but a regulated system which shares the benefits would have many advantages. Democracy I believe to be essential for lasting peace and prosperity, and fairer trade with western powers would also ease tension I feel. I'm not an expert on Islamic terrorism but I know that anger, and feeling powerless has to be aimed somewhere, and who better than the powerful?

Good points, truthseekingsoul, all. I think it's also important to note that many governments in the Middle East deflect the blame for the division between rich and poor in their countries onto the U.S. The democratic countries, like the United Arab Emirates, are fabulously wealthy....meanwhile, most Iranians under totalitarian rule are relatively poor. Must be America's fault!

The easiest way to come to power is to address a problem, identify some ominous enemy (besides us, of course!) as responsible for that problem, and tell your followers they need you to protect them from that enemy.

Phoenix

i highly respect Islam. we are brothers. we worship the same God.
Aren't we fighting radical fundamentalist Islam terrorists in this war? By saying your views sounded like those of Islamic fundamentalists... connect the dots.

according to my beliefs it is our duty to be patriotic, loving, and educate ourselves and others, the best way we know how
BY ALWAYS KNOCKING ON OUR DOORS TRYING TO SELL US BIBLES AND CHURCH MEMBERSHIPS. AHHH!!

Hmmm, good point civilcynic, though I would commend trishtrish10's religious tolerance.
You mean her highly respecting any religion with the same God as hers and trying to change world governments to Divine Dictatorships? Hmm..

i would make all governments agree with the morality of the roman catholic church for the good of all. i'm just daydreaming.
That sounds like Hitler. "Kill the Jews for the good of all." And yeah, you are daydreaming.

i pray all of God's people will unite peacefully
Yeah, and to hell with everyone else, right! o_o

Good points, truthseekingsoul, all. I think it's also important to note that many governments in the Middle East deflect the blame for the division between rich and poor in their countries onto the U.S. The democratic countries, like the United Arab Emirates, are fabulously wealthy....meanwhile, most Iranians under totalitarian rule are relatively poor. Must be America's fault!
Well, in Capitalism, there will always be the extremely poor and the extremely wealthy. What are we forcing onto Iraq?

I hope a radical Communist country decides to take Bush out of power and establish a Communistic government, which they think will be better for the people than Capitalism. Which is totally true. Then we might start to understand how arrogant we are.

The easiest way to come to power is to address a problem, identify some ominous enemy (besides us, of course!) as responsible for that problem, and tell your followers they need you to protect them from that enemy.
You mean including us, of course. Right?