• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Condemning homosexuality

Jayhawker Soule

-- untitled --
Premium Member
Sunstone said:
I've always wondered why the folks that are so loud in their protests against homosexuals and the alledged ill effects of homosexuality on society do not ever (ever!) get out and protest biker gangs or ...
Presumably they've never encountered homosexual biker gangs.

Loki

I find that there is a double standard with gay people kissing in public. If the two of them have vaginas, it is deemed acceptable, and if they have penises, it's sick, and disgusting. Ok, I'm not all for gawping at two people making out in public - It's best to do go somewhere a bit more discreet or selcuded if you're going to make out in public. But anyway, I was in a club a while ago, and two lesbians were at the back kissing, whilst the band played in the front section.

Everyone was like "lesbians are kissing, wow! lets all go watch!" which i found immature. I was pretty much happy to leave the lovebirds to carry on without everyone gawping. If it had been two blokes, you can guarantee someone would have told them to stop.

when it comes to sexuality, i believe that any sexual act between consenting adults is Ok with me. It doesn't matter if it's two blokes in a bed, two women, a man and a woman, or three in a bed! To me, as long as they're all consenting adults, I'm happy for them.

I'm quite glad that anti-gay protests are unheard of in the UK, or at least i haven't heard of any. It makes me sick to my stomach that people actually do protest that some people are gay. No doubt that if someone, a celebrity, a politician or whatnot publicly outed themselves as being anti-gay, there would be handbags at fifty paces, and their popularity would take a nosedive.

And if a group even had the audacity to condemn gay people in public, you could expect that a strong police presence would be required to hold the angry detractors back.

greatcalgarian

Canadians (a God fearing nation, just listen to the national anthem) are trying now to follow the world trend, and the parliament is trying to pass the same sex marriage law. My church pastor said he is not against homosexuals, he welcome them to attend his church, but he said to the Sunday worshippers that please go and write a letter or sign a petition to your MP to voice your objection to this law. If this law is passed, he said, I will be forced to perform marriage for same sex couple, and I will refused to do that, and your pastor will end up in jail. So the arguement goes, if you love to have your pastor, and do not want to see him going to jail, go and protest on this same sex marriage law. Luckily, Canadian are more peaceful and more gentle people, and nothing as ugly as posted has happened in this great nation.
So you see, those Christians that go around protesting, may be a bit overzealous, is simply following the teaching of the 'bible' or their pastors. That is the danger of religion. It can be and is easily being manupulated by unscrupulous 'evangelists' to serve their unknown egoistic purpose (such as holier than thou attitude, or by doing so will feel less guilty of their own uncontrollable sinful thoughts or secret deeds).

Shadow Wolf

Certified People sTabber
I've always wondered why the folks that are so loud in their protests against homosexuals and the alledged ill effects of homosexuality on society do not ever (ever!) get out and protest biker gangs or street gangs or prison gangs and the gang's ill effects on society. Why don't you ever see them holding signs up in front of some Mafia Don's house? Given the way those folks who are against homosexuals ascribe to homosexuals all sorts of criminal traits, you would think they'd get riled up about the real criminals in society.
Good question. I could see not protesting the mafia, since theres a good chance you wont see tomorow. Or a biker or street gang since you might get a good beating. I think it might because homosexuality has always been frowned upon in America. That is my guess.

Stormygale

Jensa..I have many gay friends and other people I simply know that I am around. I know what you refer, though I am not homosexual. I do not condemn anyone for their lifestyle. They are just not like me. Just don't push it on me more than I find comfortable to deal with.

EnhancedSpirit

High Priestess
The fact is that most people who are opposed to homosexuality don't want to hear evidence to the contrary because they don't want to be forced to change their opinions. Whether they're hiding behind religious beliefs or pseudo-science, the core of their prejudice against homosexuals is the same as every other kind of prejudice--ignorance and fear of what they do not understand.

Stormygale said:
Jensa..I have many gay friends and other people I simply know that I am around. I know what you refer, though I am not homosexual. I do not condemn anyone for their lifestyle. They are just not like me. Just don't push it on me more than I find comfortable to deal with.
I think maybe you're giving your self a bit too much credit Stormygale... ;)

As for the original post, I'm not hurt by it - but can understand how you could be Jensa. This sort of thing isn't going to go away in our life times, so if you're gay (like me), we've just gotta keep out heads up and try to make as much difference as we can (without being wankers like the ones in the photos).

There is a huge following of a group (I think the name of the group is Westboro Baptist Church): they go around America protesting against anything gay...

One of the ones that made me very angry (they crossed the line) - a High School Called Tracy West High School (i think) started a Gay/Straight alliance... which was trying to create acceptance etc... This group then went ahead and protested at the students Graduation. http://www.tracypress.com/local/2005-06-10-gsa.html is a link for one of the news stories I think.

They fly banners such as "God Hates ****", quite possibly a similar/same group as the one in the original post.

Sorry for going off the original post there, but just thought someone might find it interesting.

Mister Emu

Emu Extraordinaire
Staff member
Premium Member
I've always wondered why the folks that are so loud in their protests against homosexuals and the alledged ill effects of homosexuality on society do not ever (ever!) get out and protest biker gangs or street gangs or prison gangs and the gang's ill effects on society. Why don't you ever see them holding signs up in front of some Mafia Don's house? Given the way those folks who are against homosexuals ascribe to homosexuals all sorts of criminal traits, you would think they'd get riled up about the real criminals in society.
Well no one is argueing for a mafia marriage law. :p

Really though, it is because no one is saying that mafia is allright or that biker gangs are all right, or that prison gangs are okay.

The fact is that most people who are opposed to homosexuality don't want to hear evidence to the contrary because they don't want to be forced to change their opinions. Whether they're hiding behind religious beliefs or pseudo-science, the core of their prejudice against homosexuals is the same as every other kind of prejudice--ignorance and fear of what they do not understand.
Just what do you mean by opposed? Opposed as in crazily walking streets with signs saying, AIDS IS THE CURE!, or believing that while homosexuality is wrong morally, we should not base our laws on my morality?

CaptainXeroid

Following Christ
I'd be wiling to bet that majority of the people waving those signs haven't actually talked with someone who is homosexual, and that is the real shame here. If they did, they'd find out that virtually no one chooses to be attracted to a member of the same sex and more than the majority of people choose to be attracted to the opposite sex.

I'd like to ask them, 'Where in the New Testament do you get the idea that Jesus would wave a sign like that?' and 'Exactly how would heterosexual marriage been damaged by recognizing SSM?' The silence would be deafening.

Bastet

Vile Stove-Toucher
CaptainXeroid said:
I'd like to ask them ... 'Exactly how would heterosexual marriage been damaged by recognizing SSM?' The silence would be deafening.
Unfortunately, no, it wouldn't be. You'd hear things like "Those perverted homos would have a licence to molest children and throw wild orgies right over my back fence! They'd go around converting everyone they see to their filthy lifestyle, the world would be flooded with disease, the fabric of society would fall apart, and the world would go to Hell in a handbasket! The gay agenda is Armageddon, I tells ya!!" :rolleyes: The worst thing is, people who say crap like that, believe it. Can't help but feel a little sorry for the morons. :bonk:

michel

Administrator Emeritus
Staff member
Bastet said:
Unfortunately, no, it wouldn't be. You'd hear things like "Those perverted homos would have a licence to molest children and throw wild orgies right over my back fence! They'd go around converting everyone they see to their filthy lifestyle, the world would be flooded with disease, the fabric of society would fall apart, and the world would go to Hell in a handbasket! The gay agenda is Armageddon, I tells ya!!" :rolleyes: The worst thing is, people who say crap like that, believe it. Can't help but feel a little sorry for the morons. :bonk:
Actually, you would be perfectly right in doing so - and they aren't all morons - that is being just as judgemental as you are accusing them of being.

People who have such strong feelings often have their own agenda - one of the principal ones being a subconscious fear that they might just be homosexual themselves.:)

Bastet

Vile Stove-Toucher
jewscout said:

don't they???? my sister just got a set of steak knives for her 25th convert:D
*sigh* I'm so out of the loop! I haven't even gotten my decoder ring yet! :(

Bastet

Vile Stove-Toucher
michel said:
Actually, you would be perfectly right in doing so - and they aren't all morons - that is being just as judgemental as you are accusing them of being.
Perhaps they aren't all morons, but it is still a moronic line of thinking, which was more my point. I could have worded it better, but I hadn't had my morning cup of tea when I originally posted. :p

jewscout

Religious Zionist
Bastet said:
*sigh* I'm so out of the loop! I haven't even gotten my decoder ring yet! :(
maybe you should get in contact w/ the International Coalition of Gays for the Destruction of Republican Family Values and Various other Falwellian Stuff
They probably got your address wrong:(

Bastet

Vile Stove-Toucher
jewscout said:
maybe you should get in contact w/ the International Coalition of Gays for the Destruction of Republican Family Values and Various other Falwellian Stuff
They probably got your address wrong:(
Of course, you're probaby right, I'll pop them off an email right now. :) I just didn't want to bother them, since they're so busy orchestrating the destruction of the family unit and all...

Quoth The Raven

Half Arsed Muse
CaptainXeroid said:
I'd like to ask them, 'Where in the New Testament do you get the idea that Jesus would wave a sign like that?' and 'Exactly how would heterosexual marriage been damaged by recognizing SSM?' The silence would be deafening.
I've seen people post in a movie message board saying they don't think Ian McKellan would be an appropriate choice for the voice of Aslan because a gay man shouldn't be the the voice of Jesus.:areyoucra
Some people just grab an idea and sprint with it.