• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Concrete definitions for spiritual words

Unveiled Artist

Veteran Member
and the answer is....

What you describe is a paradox.
All paradoxes are reconcilable.

If we live within the mind of God then there is nothing that is separate from God.
What is difficult to understand is who we are in relation to that fact.

God is in us and we are in God.
We will one day become like God but never can we become God.
God is the All.
We are a creation in the mind of God.
God experiences Self through our souls.
Our souls experience self through our bodies.
Our bodies experience self through the senses.
This is God's schoolhouse.
As we learn about ourselves God learns about Self as well.

This is why it is so important for us to heed the call of the ancients to Know Thyself.

The Gospel of Thomas
Translated by Thomas O. Lambdin

Gospel of Thomas (Lambdin Translation) -- The Nag Hammadi Library

I don't know if you've practiced Zen. When I practiced, it tells us to get rid of the attachments, definitions, and labels that define what we think is who we are. This includes god, mind, energy, and symbols. It's going back into child form. What's difficult about this is because it's so simple. It's like learning how to crawl again when we already know how to walk.

For example, I love art. I draw, paint, and write poetry. It's second nature to me but it is difficult at the same time. It's only difficult because in a sense we are always looking for perfection (to be god) but life doesn't work that way. If we go back to simplicity, then expression flows easily.

So, if I am using the words from the OP, deity would be the art I use to describe life. The experience of life from the physical experiences and mental are defined by energy (in concrete terms) but I rather define them by expression/deity because it makes it more personal. It's not wrong to say it is what it is.

I honestly don't know why some of you are taking offense to it. If we keep trying to define ourselves, then we'd be running in circles. Art teaches us the opposite. We can have guidance from sacred books from art adn poetry to scripture and stories, it doesn't matter. Everything is a guide towards living not towards purpose.

Trying to find a purpose is like trying to get to a destination on a tred mill. Living life is actually exercising, knowing you are on a treadmill (not being afraid to say you are on one), and defining it however you want to help yourself live life until the battery runs out.

I don't know why its complicated. :(

MrMrdevincamus

Voice Of The Martyrs Supporter
So, I was browsing the net since I have nothing else better to do and found something interesting. Of course, people have various opinions; but, we are all human, so no one is wrong.

1. Deity is a symbol or icon that represents god(s) -etcs- of various religions. This source is a bit bias, but it made me think and want to look into it more. What is a Deity?

2. God is energy. Now this got me a bit since god(s) are defined differently. But the majority definition in addition to Christianity is a spirit, consciousness, being, or so have you that is everything, eternal, or whatever (or not and), that can't be explained created nor distroyed. Whatever details is based on culture and religion.

What I found interesting is energy cannot be created nor destroyed. We and everything is made up of energy. It can have no solid form like lightening. It could be invisible. It can cause emotions like sending neurons through nerves to cause feelings (maybe even religious feelings) in parts of the brain like the temporal lobe (something I looked up since I had a temporal lobotomy) that controls feeling, memory, and the like.

I don't watch t.v. much since I have no t.v., but there was a show on where a bunch of "ghost busters" I guess were going through houses disproving the appearance of ghosts and spirits. A lot of times the "intense" feeling people get have to do with air ventilation in the house. Other things like when you take material and rub it up against a balloon, that type of energy can be anywhere and if in proper situations and environments can be translated as a spirit-ual event.

3. Supernatural and paranormal is causes and forces that cannot be explained by science. What's interesting about this and I always ask this question is, just because we cannot explain it by science, why does it have to be supernatural? We just don't know. It has nothing to do with god. Nothing to do with deities and god.

If you take away the physical sources that define the above: traditions (like ways we pray) and items (sacred text, stories, instruments) among other physical things like offerings, what we have left is just our minds associating events and activities we internalize by the power of energy (god/s) or neurons in the brain, deities (or symbols that represent god/s etc), and in many religions the supernatural (believing that there is more that exist than what we can experience with our five senses).

You can actually put any religion in this and still come out with someone saying 1. it can't be explained (supernatural) or it's a mystery. 2. It's consciousness (it's the mind) 3. It's everything (energy) 4. It's a person (a deity-symbol of energy/god) and so forth.

So, according to what I looked up god does exist, deities exist, and so does the supernatural. Evidence is that you are made up of energy, symbols are everywhere, and you don't know everything.

I know, I didn't break a light bulb. So don't say "duh!" Say something productive.

Have you learned something similar about the relation to life and, I'll say spirit-uality? Have you ever thought about your view of god whether person, thing, or everything for it to be real has to be part of reality regardless if we can test or explain it or not? And if it' supernatural, how can we experience it? It's beyond what science can detect. Our experiences are explained by science (psychology) just as the supernatural is said to be explained (physics).

Just something to think about.

Hi Carlita. Yes, I am constantly amazed that we humans with our very limited languages, languages that include music, the arts, and mathematics have difficulty describing the rank fundamentals of our existence...

Unveiled Artist

Veteran Member
Hi Carlita. Yes, I am constantly amazed that we humans with our very limited languages, languages that include music, the arts, and mathematics have difficulty describing the rank fundamentals of our existence...

Eh. With art, I think its easier to understand but when we try to anyliz
analyze it then thats where the limitations come. We think too much. It hard to type ont ablots and phones because the ads. Id ahve to go ona lap top if the spelling errors are too muc. These extra ads are rediculous.

but, yeahh, I never thought "we had limited knowledge" there is something greater, we are sinners, and so forth. Its depressing and its easier to say we have different was to learningknowledge, what we learn is not limited (as if there is something greatear or more) but what we know is what is here and we can only guess there is something more.

So we are either making ourseles greater (like gods) or putting ourselves down (sinners). Very sad way of looking at life. I wonder if anyone else has picked this up.

MrMrdevincamus

Voice Of The Martyrs Supporter
I understand what you are saying. According to my region (Christianity and early teachings that came before Jesus by 2000 + years) sin is a natural condition. Of course that is why I believe we all should accept Jesus because his sacrifice (his blood) on the cross 'washed' away all sins when we ask for forgiveness and 'repent'. When we ask for that forgiveness and repent for any sin big or small, he made us 'clean' (spiritually clean) enough so we can have a relationship with the creator of our universe and allow us to be 'born again'. That said and even though I've been a christian for over ten years I still have trouble accepting Jesus had to die on that cross to save our souls. Of course Jesus knew 100% for sure he would be risen from the dead!

Oh about that spell check! I'd be done without it ! Can't you get a spell ck application for your tablet? God bless you and yours Carlita ~

Last edited:

Unveiled Artist

Veteran Member
I understand what you are saying. According to my region (Christianity and early teachings that came before Jesus by 2000 + years) sin is a natural condition. Of course that is why I believe we all should accept Jesus because his sacrifice on the cross made us 'clean' (spiritually clean) enough so we can have a relationship with the creator of our universe. Even as a christian for over ten years I still have trouble accepting Jesus had to die on that cross to save our souls. Of course Jesus knew 100% for sure he would be risen from the dead!

Oh about that spell check! I'd be done without it ! Can't you get a spell ck application for your tablet? God bless you and yours Carlita ~

Probably. The RF Ads are multiplying now and its covering up half my screen on my tablet and phone.

I havent thought of us as sinners because when we are infants we do nothibg morally wrong since we have no sense of right and wrong (according to our faiths not nature). They are born sinless and not a natural condition that would need to be cleansed once they have first sinned.

In my religion and just point of view it doesnt make sense. If there was no law to convict me and I go to kill someone, my consequences would be in the laws of cause and affect/karma. Whatever I do have ripple affect and can either come back to me positively or negativelly (if I so perceived it that way).

But in and of itself, there is no morals to killing no more than there are morals for an infant to hit her parent.

I know, strong comparison but we dont live in that type of world so peoplefeel they need to be forgiven and afte ryears of realizing other people wont do it, they find an inner peace from spiritual healing.

Personifying it through the human jesus that isnt alive is what peturbs me. The reasons make sense,.

Milton Platt

So, I was browsing the net since I have nothing else better to do and found something interesting. Of course, people have various opinions; but, we are all human, so no one is wrong.

1. Deity is a symbol or icon that represents god(s) -etcs- of various religions. This source is a bit bias, but it made me think and want to look into it more. What is a Deity?

2. God is energy. Now this got me a bit since god(s) are defined differently. But the majority definition in addition to Christianity is a spirit, consciousness, being, or so have you that is everything, eternal, or whatever (or not and), that can't be explained created nor distroyed. Whatever details is based on culture and religion.

All the gods I have heard described were beings, not energy. Since there is no good evidence to support the belief that they exist, I have to assume that they don't.

What I found interesting is energy cannot be created nor destroyed. We and everything is made up of energy. It can have no solid form like lightening. It could be invisible. It can cause emotions like sending neurons through nerves to cause feelings (maybe even religious feelings) in parts of the brain like the temporal lobe (something I looked up since I had a temporal lobotomy) that controls feeling, memory, and the like.

Energy is created from matter every time there is nuclear fission or fusion.

I don't watch t.v. much since I have no t.v., but there was a show on where a bunch of "ghost busters" I guess were going through houses disproving the appearance of ghosts and spirits. A lot of times the "intense" feeling people get have to do with air ventilation in the house. Other things like when you take material and rub it up against a balloon, that type of energy can be anywhere and if in proper situations and environments can be translated as a spirit-ual event.

3. Supernatural and paranormal is causes and forces that cannot be explained by science. What's interesting about this and I always ask this question is, just because we cannot explain it by science, why does it have to be supernatural? We just don't know. It has nothing to do with god. Nothing to do with deities and god.

Supernatural is defined as that which is not natural. Paranormal would be that which is not normal.

If you take away the physical sources that define the above: traditions (like ways we pray) and items (sacred text, stories, instruments) among other physical things like offerings, what we have left is just our minds associating events and activities we internalize by the power of energy (god/s) or neurons in the brain, deities (or symbols that represent god/s etc), and in many religions the supernatural (believing that there is more that exist than what we can experience with our five senses).

You can actually put any religion in this and still come out with someone saying 1. it can't be explained (supernatural) or it's a mystery. 2. It's consciousness (it's the mind) 3. It's everything (energy) 4. It's a person (a deity-symbol of energy/god) and so forth.

So, according to what I looked up god does exist, deities exist, and so does the supernatural. Evidence is that you are made up of energy, symbols are everywhere, and you don't know everything.

I have no idea what you looked up, and so have no idea how you came by your conclusion. I do know that if there is no way to test for the existence of the supernatural or paranormal, there is then no reason to assume it actually exists.

I know, I didn't break a light bulb. So don't say "duh!" Say something productive.

Have you learned something similar about the relation to life and, I'll say spirit-uality? Have you ever thought about your view of god whether person, thing, or everything for it to be real has to be part of reality regardless if we can test or explain it or not? And if it' supernatural, how can we experience it? It's beyond what science can detect. Our experiences are explained by science (psychology) just as the supernatural is said to be explained (physics).

Just something to think about.

Unveiled Artist

Veteran Member

I can't quote you. The OP is what I read. I thought it was interesting regardless of what I believed to or for.

Could you quote and copy and paste your comments?

Unveiled Artist

Veteran Member
@Milton Platt

All the gods I have heard described were beings, not energy. Since there is no good evidence to support the belief that they exist, I have to assume that they don't.
Everything is made up of energy. Regardless of what people say, everything is made up of energy. Supernatural is not an exception.

Energy is created from matter every time there is nuclear fission or fusion.​

Energy that keeps you moving, growing, and so forth. It's point blank.

Supernatural is defined as that which is not natural. Paranormal would be that which is not normal.
I got these definitions from the dictionary. I don't believe in the supernatural (what can't be proven by science; what we do not know) and the paranormal

I have no idea what you looked up, and so have no idea how you came by your conclusion. I do know that if there is no way to test for the existence of the supernatural or paranormal, there is then no reason to assume it actually exists.​

God exists (energy exists)

Deities (symbols and icons representing god(s)) do exist.)

Supernatural is just what we don't know. It's just describing in one term "that which we do not know." Whatever that that is, is irrelevant in the definition. Once that -that- is defined, it's no longer considered supernatural.