• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Concrete definitions for spiritual words

Unveiled Artist

Veteran Member
So, I was browsing the net since I have nothing else better to do and found something interesting. Of course, people have various opinions; but, we are all human, so no one is wrong.

1. Deity is a symbol or icon that represents god(s) -etcs- of various religions. This source is a bit bias, but it made me think and want to look into it more. What is a Deity?

2. God is energy. Now this got me a bit since god(s) are defined differently. But the majority definition in addition to Christianity is a spirit, consciousness, being, or so have you that is everything, eternal, or whatever (or not and), that can't be explained created nor distroyed. Whatever details is based on culture and religion.

What I found interesting is energy cannot be created nor destroyed. We and everything is made up of energy. It can have no solid form like lightening. It could be invisible. It can cause emotions like sending neurons through nerves to cause feelings (maybe even religious feelings) in parts of the brain like the temporal lobe (something I looked up since I had a temporal lobotomy) that controls feeling, memory, and the like.

I don't watch t.v. much since I have no t.v., but there was a show on where a bunch of "ghost busters" I guess were going through houses disproving the appearance of ghosts and spirits. A lot of times the "intense" feeling people get have to do with air ventilation in the house. Other things like when you take material and rub it up against a balloon, that type of energy can be anywhere and if in proper situations and environments can be translated as a spirit-ual event.

3. Supernatural and paranormal is causes and forces that cannot be explained by science. What's interesting about this and I always ask this question is, just because we cannot explain it by science, why does it have to be supernatural? We just don't know. It has nothing to do with god. Nothing to do with deities and god.

If you take away the physical sources that define the above: traditions (like ways we pray) and items (sacred text, stories, instruments) among other physical things like offerings, what we have left is just our minds associating events and activities we internalize by the power of energy (god/s) or neurons in the brain, deities (or symbols that represent god/s etc), and in many religions the supernatural (believing that there is more that exist than what we can experience with our five senses).

You can actually put any religion in this and still come out with someone saying 1. it can't be explained (supernatural) or it's a mystery. 2. It's consciousness (it's the mind) 3. It's everything (energy) 4. It's a person (a deity-symbol of energy/god) and so forth.

So, according to what I looked up god does exist, deities exist, and so does the supernatural. Evidence is that you are made up of energy, symbols are everywhere, and you don't know everything.

I know, I didn't break a light bulb. So don't say "duh!" Say something productive.

Have you learned something similar about the relation to life and, I'll say spirit-uality? Have you ever thought about your view of god whether person, thing, or everything for it to be real has to be part of reality regardless if we can test or explain it or not? And if it' supernatural, how can we experience it? It's beyond what science can detect. Our experiences are explained by science (psychology) just as the supernatural is said to be explained (physics).

Just something to think about.

Last edited:

Animore

Just pointing out that when I was Christian, I certainly didn't think that God was energy, or the manifestation of such. Perhaps I just interpreted it differently.

Unveiled Artist

Veteran Member
Just pointing out that when I was Christian, I certainly didn't think that God was energy, or the manifestation of such. Perhaps I just interpreted it differently.

I didn't either. We internalize a lot of things but we are not aliens. For me, though, it strengthened my faith. Maybe because I've been seeing things from a neuro-perspective for so long. A lot of events I have I interpret through my seizure experiences since our neurons control everything and what controls our feelings and interpretations etc is energy.

However we want to interpret it so it won't be "dead" I guess depends on the person. I don't know if many religious actually look into how they believe. Even my friend told me point blank she didn't want to ask these questions because it would make her doubt her faith.

I don't know why. We aren't experiencing anything fake. It's just a more concrete view of how to see life. Preference rather than fact or fiction.

LuisDantas

Aura of atheification
Premium Member
I don't know about @YmirGF , @Carlita , but I think you may be trying way too hard here.

Spirituality is so emphatically personal, needs so much utter honesty of expression and acceptance, that at least IMO there is not much of a point in attempting to find concrete definitions for them.

Those definitions are just too coarse, too rought a media for such subtle, pure meanings. Trying to encapsulate them like that sort of defeats the purpose.

People will perceive the meaningful things in myriad different ways. It will take a lot of effort to share even the rough outlines of those meanings. And that is far more of a solution than it could be a problem.

We should rejoice at the opportunity of savoring the rare conquest that is true understanding.

Take care. And in case we do not meet until then, I hope you have a superb festivity.

YmirGF

Bodhisattva in Recovery
Hey! Wasn't supposed to be funny. Have you ever looked into how you believe in things?
Not everything is meant to be debated.

Sheesh. Oh. Read the reply above.
In all fairness, @Carlita I've examined my beliefs and belief structures far more rigorously than most. I wrote about the initial plunge into this in one of my first posts on RF. Geez. That post is now 11 years old, LOL. Again this was the beginning, my first baby steps into the nature of my own beliefs.

The mind of a child

The reason why I chuckled is that you seem intent on making something that is fluid and malleable into something concrete. Best of luck on that effort.

Unveiled Artist

Veteran Member
I don't know about @YmirGF , @Carlita , but I think you may be trying way too hard here.

Spirituality is so emphatically personal, needs so much utter honesty of expression and acceptance, that at least IMO there is not much of a point in attempting to find concrete definitions for them.

Those definitions are just too coarse, too rought a media for such subtle, pure meanings. Trying to encapsulate them like that sort of defeats the purpose.

People will perceive the meaningful things in myriad different ways. It will take a lot of effort to share even the rough outlines of those meanings. And that is far more of a solution than it could be a problem.

We should rejoice at the opportunity of savoring the rare conquest that is true understanding.

Take care. And in case we do not meet until then, I hope you have a superb festivity.

I play devil's advocate because I like to look into my beliefs beyond their labels. I don't define god, deity, spirit, et cetera as I do in my OP. I have personal definitions that make my faith and life better and worth living.

I just found it interesting 'according to what I was reading' that deity is defined as a symbol, god (though I said the article was bias) refers to energy, and supernatural what we can't experience with our five senses.

If I made it personal, I'd say the deity (according to what I read) would be the pictures of my grandmother, rituals I do, dances, and prayer. God would be what makes me do what I do and the feeling and experience I get from it whether it be communication or just Doing the ChaCha. Supernatural I'm just recognizing that what I experience can't be explained not even by me. It's personal.

I just like to look at why and how I believe what I do. I didn't intend to debate (hence thread post) just something I found out. It wasn't meant to be a joke. I read a lot of things I believe or disbelieve in.

YmirGF

Bodhisattva in Recovery

I think it is very tempting to find bedrock in the maelstrom of ideas and to stake out ones own turf, but in the ever-shifting sands of understanding it is not perhaps the best course to take.

Unveiled Artist

Veteran Member
Just because I'm on RF doesn't mean what I post is meant for debate. If it's debate, I put it in debate. If not, I don't treat it as such. It's just an observation.

Nothing more.

LuisDantas

Aura of atheification
Premium Member
I think it is very tempting to find bedrock in the maelstrom of ideas and to stake out ones own turf, but in the ever-shifting sands of understanding it is not perhaps the best course to take.
Uh. I feel like the thread I just created will look like appropriation from this post of yours... :)

LuisDantas

Aura of atheification
Premium Member
Just because I'm on RF doesn't mean what I post is meant for debate. If it's debate, I put it in debate. If not, I don't treat it as such. It's just an observation.

Nothing more.
Fair enough.

I don't think we engaged in debate as such, but that is imaterial.

I will just say that I am sorry if I failed to respect your expectations. I certainly hope I did not. You deserve your space.

Unveiled Artist

Veteran Member
In all fairness, @Carlita I've examined my beliefs and belief structures far more rigorously than most. I wrote about the initial plunge into this in one of my first posts on RF. Geez. That post is now 11 years old, LOL. Again this was the beginning, my first baby steps into the nature of my own beliefs.

The mind of a child

The reason why I chuckled is that you seem intent on making something that is fluid and malleable into something concrete. Best of luck on that effort.

It was not an effort. It was an -observation- from what I read.

I do not know how anyone can see anything else from my OP other than "this is what I read" and "I found this interesting."

I have a lot of beliefs and I follow a believe myself. I just hate when RF people take offense over things like this. It's even in the resource section to get away from that. I hoped.

Unveiled Artist

Veteran Member
Fair enough.

I will just say that I am sorry if I failed to respect your expectations. I certainly hope I did not. You deserve your space.

Your're fine. I didn't get your reply until you messaged me. RF doesn't inform me of replies until the second or third person posts to a new thread of mine. I usually get everything late.

Unveiled Artist

Veteran Member
Fair enough.

One more ;) really.

What's wrong with seeing one's religion in other perspectives besides mystical? I mean, everything we do and experience with our five senses would be just as worthy of reverence as what we can't see? I mean, even when I practiced Buddhism there is a sense of mysticism; but The Buddha always describes experiences like that from our minds. He didn't say they were figments of our imagination. It was more not being attached to these things and anything else as a source of enlightenment.

I mean, in general. What makes the unseen more powerful than the seen? Wouldn't they go hand in hand knowing we can't experience anything without our brain and body even if we believe what we experience comes from the brain or from an outside source?

I mean, we aren't aliens. Right?

Med time.

Unveiled Artist

Veteran Member
I'm not sure I agree with that.

Edit: Actually I am sure I don't.

/shrugs/ Wrong is more about morals. I don't believe in a god and I'm think you do. How do we figure who is right or wrong?

But finding out who is correct or incorrect, then yeah, I'd agree.

Maybe different wording? I don't know.

allfoak

Alchemist
So, I was browsing the net since I have nothing else better to do and found something interesting. Of course, people have various opinions; but, we are all human, so no one is wrong.

1. Deity is a symbol or icon that represents god(s) -etcs- of various religions. This source is a bit bias, but it made me think and want to look into it more. What is a Deity?

2. God is energy. Now this got me a bit since god(s) are defined differently. But the majority definition in addition to Christianity is a spirit, consciousness, being, or so have you that is everything, eternal, or whatever (or not and), that can't be explained created nor distroyed. Whatever details is based on culture and religion.

What I found interesting is energy cannot be created nor destroyed. We and everything is made up of energy. It can have no solid form like lightening. It could be invisible. It can cause emotions like sending neurons through nerves to cause feelings (maybe even religious feelings) in parts of the brain like the temporal lobe (something I looked up since I had a temporal lobotomy) that controls feeling, memory, and the like.

I don't watch t.v. much since I have no t.v., but there was a show on where a bunch of "ghost busters" I guess were going through houses disproving the appearance of ghosts and spirits. A lot of times the "intense" feeling people get have to do with air ventilation in the house. Other things like when you take material and rub it up against a balloon, that type of energy can be anywhere and if in proper situations and environments can be translated as a spirit-ual event.

3. Supernatural and paranormal is causes and forces that cannot be explained by science. What's interesting about this and I always ask this question is, just because we cannot explain it by science, why does it have to be supernatural? We just don't know. It has nothing to do with god. Nothing to do with deities and god.

If you take away the physical sources that define the above: traditions (like ways we pray) and items (sacred text, stories, instruments) among other physical things like offerings, what we have left is just our minds associating events and activities we internalize by the power of energy (god/s) or neurons in the brain, deities (or symbols that represent god/s etc), and in many religions the supernatural (believing that there is more that exist than what we can experience with our five senses).

You can actually put any religion in this and still come out with someone saying 1. it can't be explained (supernatural) or it's a mystery. 2. It's consciousness (it's the mind) 3. It's everything (energy) 4. It's a person (a deity-symbol of energy/god) and so forth.

So, according to what I looked up god does exist, deities exist, and so does the supernatural. Evidence is that you are made up of energy, symbols are everywhere, and you don't know everything.

I know, I didn't break a light bulb. So don't say "duh!" Say something productive.

Have you learned something similar about the relation to life and, I'll say spirit-uality? Have you ever thought about your view of god whether person, thing, or everything for it to be real has to be part of reality regardless if we can test or explain it or not? And if it' supernatural, how can we experience it? It's beyond what science can detect. Our experiences are explained by science (psychology) just as the supernatural is said to be explained (physics).

Just something to think about.
I'm thinking you might be on to something.