• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Concern for the protection of women’s lives in anti-abortion laws is not a pro-choice ploy. It’s a p

joe1776

From a religious perspective, why should Man think he has authority to punish another person for “wrong-doings”. Is this not God’s job?
Research in the US and Canada has shown that babies and toddlers can discern right from wrong. They act to reward good behavior and punish the bad.

Humans are born with a hard-wired morality: a sense of good and evil is bred in the bone/ i know this claim might sound outlandish, but it's supported now by research in several laboratories --- Paul Bloom, Yale psychologist

Wildswanderer

Veteran Member
I like Peter Singer's point of view, a mother or father should be able to terminate the life of a child up to the age of five if there's some serious disability with the child. Also, if this child is effecting the mental health of the parents. Kind of like how we can euthenase our grandparents now when they feel they are just a burden to us.
Seriously? But this is the next logical step for the pro death crowd.

Sheldon

Veteran Member
The idea of abortion to save the mothers’ life is something that people cling to because it sounds noble and pure- but medically speaking, it probably doesn’t exist. It’s a real stretch of our thinking.”

It's anti-choicers who focus endlessly on late term abortions, pro-choice has nothing to do with the very rare late term abortions performed from medical necessity, as described. So thanks for proving that point, I was getting nowhere.

Sheldon

Veteran Member
I would rescue the infant and leave the embryos to burn. If you had the courage of your convictions you would accept the ramifications of those convictions. But instead you dodge. I have only ever heard one antichoice person actually stand behind their own words when faced with that hypothetical choice.

Notice how after producing endless analogies themselves, they are suddenly dismissed as stupid, when they expose the vacuity of the anti-choicer's arguments.

...Not because of a renewed culture of life, but because of capitalism. ...

If capitalism would rule, abortions would be forced for poor so that rich people could buy body parts and young blood for them so that they could look younger and live longer.

Sheldon

Veteran Member
Another way to look at abortion is with a parallel to slavery, but not from the POV of the slave, but from the POV of the slave owner. The USA became divided in the 1860's and the Civil War was fought because of this slave owner POV that lingered in spite of a widening push for slave rights.

The slave owner saw their slaves as private property and not as a human beings. To them the slave was no different than a horse or a plow, which they legally bought at the store and thereby owned by legal means.

Because of their ownership of private property they felt had the right do as they pleased with the slaves, up and including the death penalty. They had an entitlement mentality that could not see slaves as part of humanity. This did change, after the war was lost. The Southern Democrats who lost the war vowed to rise again, but did so in a different guise of slave owner.

I agree, the far right want to enslave women by taking away their bodily autonomy, it's immoral, and all to grant rights to a clump of insentient cells that are part of that woman's body.

Hermit Philosopher

Selflessly here for you
Research in the US and Canada has shown that babies and toddlers can discern right from wrong. They act to reward good behavior and punish the bad.

Humans are born with a hard-wired morality: a sense of good and evil is bred in the bone/ i know this claim might sound outlandish, but it's supported now by research in several laboratories --- Paul Bloom, Yale psychologist

Sorry, I don’t believe your response addressed my question.

Allow me to rephrase it somewhat: if someone is judging someone else from a religious point of view (for example, by saying that doing so and so is a sin), why then, do they seem to think that Man (and his worldly institutions) have the authority to punish that person for doing so and so? Do they doubt [their] God’s ability to judge and punish fairly? Why not trust God’s judgement of others and worry more about one’s very own actions towards one’s fellow beings instead?

joe1776

Sorry, I don’t believe your response addressed my question.

Allow me to rephrase it somewhat: if someone is judging someone else from a religious point of view (for example, by saying that doing so and so is a sin), why then, do they seem to think that Man (and his worldly institutions) have the authority to punish that person for doing so and so? Do they doubt [their] God’s ability to judge and punish fairly? Why not trust God’s judgement of others and worry more about one’s very own actions towards one’s fellow beings instead?
Since I have no religion, I will only be speculating on "the religious point of view."

I'm not sure that religious people do think that sins are to be punished in this world. For example, the Jehovah Witnesses believe that killing is always a sin even if the facts support a killing in self-defense; but I've known a couple of JWs well and I've never heard either say that all killers should be punished.

On the other hand, since all religious people are human. And we humans are born with the ability to discern right from wrong and also born with the inclination to punish wrongful acts, how would we go about determining whether the inclination to punish was caused by religion or if it was just naturally human?

Last edited:

pearl

And unfortunately, it is this stage of mentality that many adults have yet to 'grow' beyond.