• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Compliments from strangers

Comicaze247

See the previous line
I've brought this up in the past, but I feel the need to bring it up again, but with an additional question.

Why is it that, for the majority of people, when we hear a compliment on our appearance from a stranger, we get weirded out?

But when we hear criticism from a stranger, we're more likely to take it to heart, even when we're told to shrug it off?

It's just a trend I've noticed, and it kind of concerns me. The biggest reason being that women AND men (mostly women) have standards of beauty pushed onto them, much of them unrealistic, especially depending on one's body type. So it's resulted in a lot of people having low self-esteem. They hear how they "don't measure up" to those standards, either from themselves or the media, multiple times a day, every day. But how often are people told when they look good?

I know that I pass by at least 100 beautiful women in the 20 minutes I spend walking between classes every day. I can't realistically stop and tell them all that they look good due to time, but also, I would probably get the cops called on me. But why is that? When I sincerely just want to say, "You look great" to a stranger with no other motive behind it, why is it seen as so "creepy?"

(I won't be able to respond right away, as I'm already late for class. I just had to get this off my chest, lol)

*Anne*

Bliss Ninny
I'm careful with my compliments, mostly because I've been told that a man might take it as flirting, and I don't want to give that impression. My compliments are sincere.

I feel free to compliment women, naturally.

As for receiving compliments, I'm thankful and not weirded out at all. It really depends on how the comment is delivered though. I've had some odd moments.

It might be that when women are younger, they think guys are always hitting on them (as opposed to simply being kind). When you get to my age, that's not an automatic assumption, so perhaps I'm not as guarded.

zenzero

Its only a Label
Friend Comicaze,

Compliments from strangers

Everyday morning taking a walk notice the beautiful morning, the beautiful sky, the beautiful sea, the beautiful sunrise and everything around; BUT never have to compliment them as take them to be part of the same stuff that am personally except that our forms are different.
Likewise it is not necessary to find beauty in women but in everything around and by the sheer celebration of the beauty all around one develops an aura around and those who see such forms in celebration themselves not only understand it, feel it and starts to celebrate themselves.
Likewise, women need not be complimented about their beauty but when genuine efforts are made by others to remove their own ignorances about the beauty that is within them will always be appreciated and welcomed.

Love & rgds

Smokeless Indica

<3 Damian Edward Nixon <3
I get weirded out when the old drunk crack heads around my neighbor say I look good. Not only do I feel weirded out but kinda icky for some reason. Maybe it's the way they say it.

The other day I had some lady at the library ***** at me because according to her my clothes were too "reveling". It's like 90 degrees out what does she expect?

She was all like "Excuse me but you keep walking by and there's me and kids here and your boobs are hanging out." I just looked at her and rolled my eyes and walked away. It's called cleavege lady my boobs were covered. My fiance looked at her and just said, "It's no worse than a bathing suit top." She shut her mouth quick.

Last edited:

Comicaze247

See the previous line
I'm careful with my compliments, mostly because I've been told that a man might take it as flirting, and I don't want to give that impression. My compliments are sincere.
Yeah, that's 'cause guys (generally) have naturally weak egos, so they hold on to anything that might make them feel better. For example, a woman being interested in them. It may or may not be true, but the thought makes them feel better about themselves.

As for receiving compliments, I'm thankful and not weirded out at all. It really depends on how the comment is delivered though. I've had some odd moments.
Well, I usually say something along the lines of, "I promise, I'm not trying to hit on you, but I just felt like I have to say you have gorgeous eyes/you are very pretty/you look great."

It might be that when women are younger, they think guys are always hitting on them (as opposed to simply being kind). When you get to my age, that's not an automatic assumption, so perhaps I'm not as guarded.

MysticSang'ha

Big Squishy Hugger
Premium Member

I feel free to compliment women, naturally.

I flirt anyway. But I love complimenting people. A lot of times, people take it really well. Then again, I'm a small woman who probably doesn't look at all threatening. So I guess I use that to my advantage when I make others feel good about themselves. It's pretty cool. :yes:

Same here. It frightened me if I received compliments in the past because I was suspiscious of what they might want. Now, though, I beam and say "Thank you!" and then carry on with my day.

Comicaze247

See the previous line
That's very respectful. :yes:
Yeah, I usually receive positive feedback for it. Once when I was working (it was a slow day and she was the only customer in the store), I said that to her, and then we proceeded to have a conversation about how many beautiful women think they're ugly because of the standards set by the media, and how it's important for them to be reminded that even if they don't look like movie stars, they're still beautiful.