• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Complete Faith

groovydancer88

Do you have to have faith in absolutely every facet of your religion in order to believe in that religion? For example, if there were a few verses of the Bible that I simply didn't agree with, would that mean that I'm not a Christian? What if I didn't believe in a big part of my religion (ie Creationism)? If disbelief in one is ok but not the other, how do you know where to draw the line?

What about the rest of you... do you have any great disbeliefs in any part of your religion?

Reactions: Pah

michel

Administrator Emeritus
Staff member
Seeing that my 'faith' is a mix of many religions,your question is invalid for me - another fact - my faith is an ever changing one, adapting and changing , as and if appropriate, with every new thing that I learn.:)

Druidus

Keeper of the Grove
Unless you are fundamental, you are eclectic, to some degree. As long as you follow the major tenants, you are Christian.

Halcyon

Lord of the Badgers
This is hard for me to answer as the core aspect of my belief system is to only believe what you feel is right, the teachers are there to teach not dictate.

As from the Christian aspect, imagine you were back in the time of Jesus, before the NT existed and all the subsequent commentaries by Paul and the Church. You would have stood before Jesus and listened to his teachings, you would have taken away with you new ideas, your mind would have been opened - as he wanted. He didn't expect those who listened to him to memorise every word he said, he wanted to get across concepts and ideas so people could look inside themselves for God and see things in a new brighter light. I believe Jesus would look upon those who believe unquestioningly what is told to them by the bible and church fundamentalists as foolish, he wanted students who could think for themselves - not mindless zombies.

Scuba Pete

Le plongeur avec attitude...
God has never required an absolute belief:

Mark 9:17 A man in the crowd answered, "Teacher, I brought you my son, who is possessed by a spirit that has robbed him of speech. 18 Whenever it seizes him, it throws him to the ground. He foams at the mouth, gnashes his teeth and becomes rigid. I asked your disciples to drive out the spirit, but they could not." 19 "O unbelieving generation," Jesus replied, "how long shall I stay with you? How long shall I put up with you? Bring the boy to me." 20 So they brought him. When the spirit saw Jesus, it immediately threw the boy into a convulsion. He fell to the ground and rolled around, foaming at the mouth. 21 Jesus asked the boy's father, "How long has he been like this?" "From childhood," he answered. 22 "It has often thrown him into fire or water to kill him. But if you can do anything, take pity on us and help us." 23 "`If you can'?" said Jesus. "Everything is possible for him who believes." 24 Immediately the boy's father exclaimed, "I do believe; help me overcome my unbelief!"

So even if you THINK you don't have enough faith, you probably do! :D

ayani

Halcyon said:
As from the Christian aspect, imagine you were back in the time of Jesus, before the NT existed and all the subsequent commentaries by Paul and the Church. You would have stood before Jesus and listened to his teachings, you would have taken away with you new ideas, your mind would have been opened - as he wanted. He didn't expect those who listened to him to memorise every word he said, he wanted to get across concepts and ideas so people could look inside themselves for God and see things in a new brighter light. I believe Jesus would look upon those who believe unquestioningly what is told to them by the bible and church fundamentalists as foolish, he wanted students who could think for themselves - not mindless zombies.
that was beautifully said, Halcyon. :) i feel the same might be said for Buddha's opinion of many modern Buddhists, but this is just a hunch!

the Quakers have long called themselves Christian, and yet many of our beliefs (or rather, what we permit ourselves to not believe) would stop many traditional Christians in their tracks. we do not require a believer to profess faith in the ressurection, heaven, hell, or even the divinity of Jesus. we do, however, believe in compassion, social action, simplicity, an intimate relationship with God, that the kingdom of Heaven can be found within, and in the power of love, all things that Jesus preached.

"for it is the spirit of the word that giveth life, not the words alone"

Halcyon

Lord of the Badgers
gracie said:
the Quakers have long called themselves Christian, and yet many of our beliefs (or rather, what we permit ourselves to not believe) would stop many traditional Christians in their tracks. we do not require a believer to profess faith in the ressurection, heaven, hell, or even the divinity of Jesus. we do, however, believe in compassion, social action, simplicity, an intimate relationship with God, that the kingdom of Heaven can be found within, and in the power of love, all things that Jesus preached.
They make good porridge too! ;)

Sound to me like the definition of a true Christian.

andyjamal

servant
groovydancer88 said:
For example, if there were a few verses of the Bible that I simply didn't agree with, would that mean that I'm not a Christian? What if I didn't believe in a big part of my religion (ie Creationism)? If disbelief in one is ok but not the other, how do you know where to draw the line?

Perhaps, you should consider that what is disagreeable to you is the traditional interpretations that have been given you. I believe that all scripture holds truth; if a verse appears to contradict reason when interpreted literally, it shouldn't be interpreted literally. If we don't understand something in scripture, we should meditate and pray that God will open our eyes: "Ask and ye shall recieve. Seek and ye shall find".

To be a true Christian does not necessitate adhering to the dictates of clergy; it only necessitates making efforts to adhere to the admonishments of Christ.:)

robtex

Veteran Member
I am assumimg you are talking about Christainty GD88 since it is your chosen faith. I would at this point tell you that there are thousands and thousands of sects within your religion so absolute faith is not possible for most with the exception of catholics who were the first. Stateing that I am sure there are major points that are neccessary for instance, the belief in JC as the savior, but how many there are, and what they are could be another debate entirely.

Redundant themes in the book would be hard to overlook. I am thinking you posted this thread because of the bible's view on woman (because of your recent thread on it) and if this is so I would consider it a redundant theme in the book not only by what is in the bible but what is not there....particularly the book of mary and the small number signifigant chapters with woman heros with ruth being the only one i can think of .......

Melody

groovydancer88 said:
Do you have to have faith in absolutely every facet of your religion in order to believe in that religion? For example, if there were a few verses of the Bible that I simply didn't agree with, would that mean that I'm not a Christian? What if I didn't believe in a big part of my religion (ie Creationism)? If disbelief in one is ok but not the other, how do you know where to draw the line?

What about the rest of you... do you have any great disbeliefs in any part of your religion?
Well, I don't believe in organized religion so I'm not bound by one sect's interpretation of the Scriptures. I use prayer and look to God for the interpretation.

I would think though that if you say you're Catholic, then you should agree with their philosophy and beliefs. If you say you're Orthodox, the same. The same for Baptist, Methodist, Islamic, Jewish, etc.

I have family members who were raised catholic but haven't set foot in a catholic church for 30 years, believe only about half of the church philosophy and yet had their children baptized and confirmed in the catholic church. Now that I don't understand.

Engyo

Prince of Dorkness!
Well, one of the reasons I am a practicing Buddhist today is that I wasn't required to believe any of it. I began my practice with a questioning mind, to see whether this really worked or not. 20+ years later it is still working. I have grown into belief and faith through seeing the actual proof of the teachings in my own life.

johnnys4life

Pro-life Mommy
Just always be open to learning more, question EVERYTHING. Question the answers you get from every side. I think you can never know all the answers, because some things are not knowable in this life.

If you believe in the gospel, you are a Christian. I think the Lord will show you what to do day by day if you really listen.

jewscout

Religious Zionist
Melody said:
I would think though that if you say you're Catholic, then you should agree with their philosophy and beliefs. If you say you're Orthodox, the same. The same for Baptist, Methodist, Islamic, Jewish, etc.
Well there are, at least in Judaism, as many opinions on different aspects of the faith as there are jews in the world. There are several movements within the Jewish faith all teaching something a little bit different. That's something i've learned from my rabbi is that there are always differing opinions, even w/in traditional judaism.
just because you are of a certain faith doesn't mean you have to believe every single tenant of that faith...you can form your own opinion

A

angellous_evangellous

groovydancer88 said:

I would say that it depends on what religion you are talking about and which leader you ask. Many cult leaders want you to simply believe every word that comes out of their mouth - it's all or nothing, and usually they demand great sacrifice (David Koresh comes to mind...) The Taliban may have a different feeling than most American Muslim leaders when it comes to how much or in what way their followers are to believe in the Koran.

For a group to be considered Christian, they must adhere to the defining confessions of Christianity. The denifng creed is the Nichene Creed, and there is a lot more to the Bible than this creed, but it outlines the basic beliefs of Christianity. For Christians, the line is drawn in the person of Christ.

Melody

jewscout said:
Well there are, at least in Judaism, as many opinions on different aspects of the faith as there are jews in the world. There are several movements within the Jewish faith all teaching something a little bit different. That's something i've learned from my rabbi is that there are always differing opinions, even w/in traditional judaism.
just because you are of a certain faith doesn't mean you have to believe every single tenant of that faith...you can form your own opinion
Thanks...I knew about the orthodox but didn't realize there were other movements.