• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Compassion for those who wish us harm

MaddLlama

Obstructor of justice
What is the difference between feeling compassion and feeling pity, especially when it comes to someone who does wrong, such as a murderer?

Feathers in Hair

World's Tallest Hobbit
(Hope it's okay to add a non-Buddhists' point of view! This is one of the topics that attracted me to Buddhism, though.)

For me, compassion involves understanding and love, as well as an element of sorrow that another being is suffering or has been put in a situation in which they are being made to suffer. (Or have made themselves to suffer.) Pity is more sadness directed outward.

MysticSang'ha

Big Squishy Hugger
Premium Member
The difference between compassion and pity is the amount of dignity one bestows on another.

"John" feels compassion for "Jane" if she suffers but if he also believes she has the resources to do better.

"John" feels pity for "Jane" if she suffers but if he also believes she's stuck in her position.

To pity is to ultimately demean another and to lower their dignity. In the case of the murderer, if he were to be pitied, it would imply that he has no possibility for rehabilitation or redemption. From the Buddhist standpoint, to pity the murderer would imply that he does not have Buddha-nature.

Does that make sense? :)

Peace,
Mystic

michel

Administrator Emeritus
Staff member
Are you basically saying the same as Feathers? - which is the way I understand it.

MysticSang'ha

Big Squishy Hugger
Premium Member
michel said:
Are you basically saying the same as Feathers? - which is the way I understand it.

Same but different. LOL

Both perspectives I believe identify compassion as having the capacity of walking a mile in another's shoes. :)

Peace,
Mystic

Willamena

Just me
Premium Member
Same. In compassion, through love and empathy you share in another person's sorrow. In pity, you don't share that.

PureX

Veteran Member
MaddLlama said:
What is the difference between feeling compassion and feeling pity, especially when it comes to someone who does wrong, such as a murderer?
Compassion is empathizing with another persons difficulties, including their flaws, because we know that we have experienced, or could be experiencing much the same things, ourselves. Pity, on the other hand, presumes that we are above or beyond suffering from the difficulties of the other fellow. Compassion looks the other man in the eye, as an equal. But pity looks down on him.

Random

Understanding the human condition is akin to direct experience of the divine essence: when we realise what we share with those who wish to harm us, the antagonism evaporates. If it is true, it does not "become" anything, much less pity: it merely transcends resentment and in doing so releases the negativity etherically, so that only the positive remains. This I believe sources compassion for us and enables our hearts to show it in equal measure, on occasion, to either friend or foe.